Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Fedor Emelianenko wanted Strikeforce bout to continue, hints at future fights

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,304-1,218
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Fedor Emelianenko apparently has had a change of heart.

After suggesting an imminent retirement following Saturday's doctor's-stoppage loss to Antonio Silva in the opening round of Strikeforce's eight-man heavyweight grand prix, the fighter today changed his tune.

In a series of Twitter messages, Emelianenko stated he wanted the fight to continue and said he hasn't decided whether he's going to retire.

The 34-year-old Russian headlined Saturday's Showtime-televised "Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva" event at IZOD Center in East Rutherford, N.J. After a close first round that Emelianenko won on two of the three judges' cards, the much-heavier Silva got him to the mat and unloaded a vicious ground-and-pound assault. Emelianenko's right eye became badly swollen during the exchanges, and prior to the third round, the cageside physician declared the fighter unable to continue.

LINK

Post #1   2/15/11 1:54:25PM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:
I hope this puts to rest the notion that Fedor quit. I'm sure the doctor asked him if he could see out of his eye and he said 'no I can't'. Fedor is a true warrior I don't see Brock Lesner surviving that round in full mount and then getting back up for a third round.

Post #2   2/15/11 2:14:36PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,304-1,218
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by BigIP

I don't see Brock Lesner surviving that round in full mount and then getting back up for a third round.

Did you miss the Carwin/Lesnar fight? If you're denying the fact that he has heart, you're crazy bro!

Post #3   2/15/11 2:23:32PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,494-876
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by BigIP

I hope this puts to rest the notion that Fedor quit. I'm sure the doctor asked him if he could see out of his eye and he said 'no I can't'. Fedor is a true warrior I don't see Brock Lesner surviving that round in full mount and then getting back up for a third round.

Not sure how many guys could have. Or at least showed the heart Fedor did.
With that being said,though i'm a huge Fedor fan i'm skeptical about how well he can fair in any future HW fights. In my opinion the only fight left I would love to see is him vs Randy (or Barnett) if he would jump over to the UFC and just do one fight.
I know,fat chance but I can dream.

Post #4   2/15/11 2:25:43PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by BigIP

I don't see Brock Lesner surviving that round in full mount and then getting back up for a third round.

Did you miss the Carwin/Lesnar fight? If you're denying the fact that he has heart, you're crazy bro!

This. All day long.

I'm glad Fedor is going to stick around. Two losses to very good heavyweights is not really a reason to retire.

Post #5   2/15/11 2:37:35PM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by BigIP

Not sure how many guys could have. Or at least showed the heart Fedor did.
With that being said,though i'm a huge Fedor fan i'm skeptical about how well he can fair in any future HW fights. In my opinion the only fight left I would love to see is him vs Randy (or Barnett) if he would jump over to the UFC and just do one fight.
I know,fat chance but I can dream.

Fedor's problem is he has no game plan. He just goes out there and starts banging which make for an extremely exciting fight for the fans. But in order to beat guys like Silva he has to out point them (like Werdum did). He is not knocking him out (his head and chin are HUGE) and he will not be able to out grapple him (Silva's a BJJ black belt and weighs 45lbs more). So Fedor's only path to victory would have been to stick and move, land shots and wear down Silva.

Post #6   2/15/11 2:37:57PM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by BigIP

That's a good point but Brock was not mounted. He turtled up and got lucky the ref didn't stop the fight. I'm mostly referring to the Cain fight were he made no effort to continue fighting. Brock has some heart but Fedor is a Lion.

Post #7   2/15/11 2:40:26PM   

vomitshovel

MMA Regular

vomitshovel Avatar

Career:136-93
Camp: Xtreme Fight Militia
Chips:
Yeah it was just one of those things. To be honest the cool calm and collected Fedor we're used to seeing was replaced with a quite hasty, flushed and what seemed to be impatient Fedor.
After round 1 he was more tired than he usually is after 2 or 3 rounds.
I would love to see Fedor fight for years to come but in my opinion he has to go in there with more than a will to win and mad skill.

Post #8   2/15/11 2:46:25PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,543-899
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I absolutely thought that fight was stopped prematurely. Not that I wouldn't have done the same thing if I was the doc. It was premature as a fight, but not as a sporting competition.

There's no doubt in my find Fedor could have kept fighting. He survived that vicious mount onslaught and came back with a submission attempt. Hell, he might have even beaten Silva if this fight had taken place before sanctioning and commissions cleaned it up.

But I don't blame the doc and Fedor lost fair and square under the rules.

Post #9   2/15/11 3:13:48PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

I absolutely thought that fight was stopped prematurely. Not that I wouldn't have done the same thing if I was the doc. It was premature as a fight, but not as a sporting competition.

There's no doubt in my find Fedor could have kept fighting. He survived that vicious mount onslaught and came back with a submission attempt. Hell, he might have even beaten Silva if this fight had taken place before sanctioning and commissions cleaned it up.

Thats NJ had it been in Mass it prob keeps going (see Davis v Diaz)

Post #10   2/15/11 4:33:22PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

How was it stopped early? He couldn't see out of his eye. It's silly to not stop the fight in that situation.

Post #11   2/15/11 5:28:29PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,617-1,666
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Fedor lost fair and square.....he'sgot mad heart, watch his past fights.....the RandlePlex proves it clear as day! I am wondering what it would take to convince him to fight at LHW!?

Post #12   2/15/11 5:58:09PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:

Posted by BigIP

Posted by emfleek

Posted by BigIP

That's a good point but Brock was not mounted. He turtled up and got lucky the ref didn't stop the fight. I'm mostly referring to the Cain fight were he made no effort to continue fighting. Brock has some heart but Fedor is a Lion.

according to the doctor, when he was asked if he could continue he said "No i cant"

Kos had his orbital broken in round one and went 5 rounds. Look at the cut Struve received at ufc 99 and he came back in to win it. These guys didnt quit.

Post #13   2/15/11 11:44:14PM   

StriderXero

Standup Guy

StriderXero Avatar

Career:88-80
Chips:
Sure Fedor lost. He may lose his next fight, but to me he's still the most epic fighter to ever grace MMA.

Post #14   2/16/11 1:45:20AM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Chips:

Posted by RearNakedJoke

Posted by BigIP

Posted by emfleek

Posted by BigIP

according to the doctor, when he was asked if he could continue he said "No i cant"

Kos had his orbital broken in round one and went 5 rounds. Look at the cut Struve received at ufc 99 and he came back in to win it. These guys didnt quit.

The doctor didn't ask him if he could continue, the doctor asked him if he could see out of his eye and he said "no I can't".

Post #15   2/16/11 9:46:16AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2