Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Trying to gain weight need advice

Print  
Posted By Message

CaranoGirl

MMA Regular

CaranoGirl Avatar

Career:1,072-593
Camp: The Fight Show
Chips:
Hey I am trying to gain weight and needed some advice on how to go about it. Im 6' 3" and 155, I have been working out on and off for about 7 years now and each time I get serious about working out I do it for about 4 or 5 months and I get no results. I get stronger and more defined but I dont get bigger and that is ultimetly what I am looking for. I use to take a protein shake with oatmeal, peanut butter, milk, banana, and 100% whey protein every morning for breakfast then eat chicken, tuna or turkey sandwhich for lunch and a healthy dinner. Then I would go to the gym for an hour and 20 min and take a protein shake after. In the past year I have replaced going to the gym for jiu jitsu and am still the same size. anyways I am starting back up one more time and I just need some advice on what supplements to take, workouts, nutrition etc... thanks

Post #1   2/14/11 10:59:35PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
try parrillo's diets for some ideas. parrillo diets for muscle gain its for 175lb male but it will give you somewhere to start. just scroll down to the diet for muscle gain, its like the 3rd diet from the top, the other diets are for people competing in competitions. also, you dont have to take all those supplements on the diet, just make sure you got a good bulking protein and whatever other supplements you want to add to the diet. nutrition is the most important part to muscle growth not supplements like a lot of people say. hopefully this helps a little with your diet at least. as for weights, some people have a hard time putting on weight, it might take more than 4 or 5 months to start getting big for you. just stick to a good weight training schedule. and for breakfast, get used to eating a ton of egg whites. i go through 5 dozen eggs in 5 days. i eat a dozen egg whites for breakfast with my oatmeal. they are one of the very best proteins in the world. good luck man

Post #2   2/16/11 2:15:58AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by tcunningham

good luck man

I think it's a girl. 6'3" 155lb man would be really awkward for a male. That's Frankie Edgar's weight at Lesnar's height. Increase your caloric intake and shoot for as many carbs as possible. I'd suggest cutting back your workout regiment in the beginning as it's sounding like you have a fast metabolism (much like myself) and no matter what you seem to do, you stay the same weight.

Ultimately, your best advice would be to meet with a nutrition expert who can give you sound medically based advice to address your needs. Other than that, tcunningham has some solid suggestions as well.

Last edited 2/16/11 2:33AM server time by BlueSkiesBurn
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   2/16/11 2:26:50AM   

CaranoGirl

MMA Regular

CaranoGirl Avatar

Career:1,072-593
Camp: The Fight Show
Chips:
Im definatly not a girl and I dont like to think of myself as awkward lol. My name is misleading because my girlfriend got a hold of the computer as i was making my profile here. she thought it was funny. anyways egg whites it is. thanks cunningham

Post #4   2/16/11 9:25:04PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by CaranoGirl

Im definatly not a girl and I dont like to think of myself as awkward lol. My name is misleading because my girlfriend got a hold of the computer as i was making my profile here. she thought it was funny. anyways egg whites it is. thanks cunningham

oops

Post #5   2/16/11 11:39:09PM   

DARRYL_Ledonne

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
I am a 50 kg weakling!" tried all kinds of remedies including high calorie weight gain powders, liver tablets, weight gain drinks and even colon cleansing

Post #6   3/27/11 1:13:38PM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:
eat like a fat kid. its your discretion as to waht you eat, but honeslty, if you want to train hard, gain muscle, get in good condition... you'll eat healthy. Eating a lot of healthy things and appropriating them properly,ie actually working on yout mass.. will serve you well.. its a long but simple process.

Post #7   4/1/11 8:53:56PM   

Geoffo

Standup Guy

Geoffo Avatar

Career:176-119
Chips:

Posted by CaranoGirl

Hey I am trying to gain weight and needed some advice on how to go about it. Im 6' 3" and 155, I have been working out on and off for about 7 years now and each time I get serious about working out I do it for about 4 or 5 months and I get no results. I get stronger and more defined but I dont get bigger and that is ultimetly what I am looking for. I use to take a protein shake with oatmeal, peanut butter, milk, banana, and 100% whey protein every morning for breakfast then eat chicken, tuna or turkey sandwhich for lunch and a healthy dinner. Then I would go to the gym for an hour and 20 min and take a protein shake after. In the past year I have replaced going to the gym for jiu jitsu and am still the same size. anyways I am starting back up one more time and I just need some advice on what supplements to take, workouts, nutrition etc... thanks

Keep eating lots, I advise you not to take anything other than protein (don't take creatine and that stuff)

Working out routines --> Focus on COMPOUND lifts. Lifts that use many muscles.
Bench presses, Leg presses, Squats, DEADLIFTS <-- Important, but keep good form please. Eat lots.
Do heavy enough weights so you start muscle failure at around 8-10 Reps.
Do eccentric contractions to gain mass and strength (google eccentric contraction do some research).

I advise you not to do lots of cardio when you try to gain weight.
Once you've gained that weight, work on your cardio and explosiveness.

Good luck!

Post #8   10/24/11 9:44:22PM   

T3amMYOEDGE

Learning to Sprawl

Chips:
Hey man, I'm a personal trainer and have been bodybuilding for several years. Gaining weight is almost all about the food, bro. If you want to grow you need to eat every 2 to 2.5 hours. I have had 100% positive results with my guys eating this way. Once you go more than 3 hours without food, your body begins eating the muscle's protein and stored carbs for energy. That sets you back by ripping apart your little gains.

Make sure each meal has both carbs and protein, and preferably some healthy fat. If it's difficult to adjust to eating so often, we've found that alternating a small meal with big meal every two hours kept us growing.

Good luck!!

Personally, I recommend Formula B from MyoEdge. I helped formulate and test it, really helped me gain amazing strength and stamina. However, supplements ALWAYS follow food. Getting even the best supp in the world won't do much if you don't eat what you need : )

Post #9   11/3/11 5:46:15PM   

Andreywhites

Learning to Sprawl

Chips:
It's better to take the advice of a physician or a body trainer. They will help you to get the most out of your workouts. And also take some fat improvement food or drinks so as to get and maintain your figure to show off.

Last edited 4/27/12 10:32AM server time by grappler0000
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   12/1/11 6:12:04AM