Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Doctor: Andrei Arlovski Should Not Be Medically Cleared to Fight Again

Print  
Posted By Message

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,449-880
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Lost in the talk of Fedor Emelianenko's first ass-kicking is the possibility that we might have seen another great champion fight his last fight on Saturday night at Strikeforce: Fedor vs Silva. Former UFC champ Andrei Arlovski lost to Sergei Kharitonov in the co-headliner. It was his fourth straight loss, three of them coming via KO.

Article

Post #1   2/14/11 6:45:33PM   

XblacksheepX

MMA Regular

XblacksheepX Avatar

Career:672-359
Chips:
He looked well prepared before he ate the first bigger punch. good technique, footwork, he mixed it up pretty good too. His problem is and was a chin of glass. Do your brain a favour and hang em up, Andrei! You've been a ufc champion and a great fighter. Not alot more to accomplish from here on out..

Post #2   2/14/11 9:18:17PM   

TeamDEY

Belt Contender

TeamDEY Avatar

Career:152-124
Chips:
I agree he should hang up his gloves. Arlovski is great but he needs to consider his health at some point.

Post #3   2/14/11 9:35:13PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
Yeah I'm no doctor but man Arlovski's KOs look scary to me. He doesn't just get a bit dazed, he looks like he's ******* dead when he goes down, eyes open and glassed over, completely stiff, and it's happened like 3 times in a row now. That has to take a serious toll on your brain.

I really would've thought that he would start falling back on his Sambo pedigree at some point and employ a more grappling/ground and pound heavy style of fighting to try to avoid these situations, but the guy just loves to stand and trade punches I guess. Hasn't been working out the best for him against guys with decent standup and hard heads.

Post #4   2/14/11 10:03:29PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,449-880
Chips:
I was actually surprised AA took as many shots as he did during that fight. He got clipped many a time on the chin from what I recall, including a few uppercuts. I was surprised and thought his chin might hold up. Then the shot came right in front of the ear and it was done.

Post #5   2/14/11 10:10:05PM   

FastKnockout

----PAPERBOY----

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,681-939
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I tried posting this, but mine was moved to the lounge.

Post #6   2/14/11 10:11:15PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,223-863
Chips:
i thought he was doing great until he got clipped and started back peddling with his hands down. his KOs are definitely scary to watch.

Edit: I want to say that Arlovski has been one of my favorites for years and i really hope he's done fighting.

Last edited 2/15/11 4:18AM server time by rearnakedjoke
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   2/15/11 4:13:05AM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
you can see him panic when he gets a few steps from the cage.
he almost looks scared knowing one jab will pin him on the fence then BLAMO!
off to lala land , dreaming about pretty women and hair removal.

Post #8   2/15/11 6:05:34AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,262-1,196
Chips:
Moved to the Lounge since it's not really news.

Post #9   2/15/11 8:55:46AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Yeah I'm no doctor but man Arlovski's KOs look scary to me. He doesn't just get a bit dazed, he looks like he's ******* dead when he goes down, eyes open and glassed over, completely stiff, and it's happened like 3 times in a row now. That has to take a serious toll on your brain.

I agree. I don't think any of his knockout losses could be called TKOs, they've all been KTFOs.

Posted by Aether

I really would've thought that he would start falling back on his Sambo pedigree at some point and employ a more grappling/ground and pound heavy style of fighting to try to avoid these situations, but the guy just loves to stand and trade punches I guess. Hasn't been working out the best for him against guys with decent standup and hard heads.

This has been my gripe with AA for years now. For a time, I was willing to ascribe this problem to his training staff, but he moved to Jackson's camp and did the same fracking thing.

According to Wikipedia, Andrei is an International Master of Sports in Sambo. I think that's roughly equivalent to a 2nd-degree black belt in BJJ, and is the same ranking held by Fedor Emelianenko (who, admittedly, is also a black belt in judo). He has it within his abilities to be one of the sport's well-rounded fighters, but instead he's chosen to be a boxer. And frankly, I think he overestimates his own boxing skills. Even as someone who doesn't know a lot about boxing, I expect that a decent, heavyweight professional boxer would wipe the floor with Arlovski's face in a boxing match. Heck, he'd probably murder Arlovski in an MMA match too, because AA would try to beat him at his own game.

Post #10   2/15/11 11:43:08AM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Yea after 4 losses in a row and a couple brutal KOs I'd say the guy should quit before he really gets hurt. It's too bad too considering what he used to be.

Post #11   2/15/11 11:59:47AM   

Hendo67

MMA Sensei

Hendo67 Avatar

Career:1,066-730
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
I've been saying this for a while now, he can't take a punch, his safety is far more important.

Post #12   2/16/11 12:13:19PM