Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Doctors Clear Fedor Emelianenko, Who Could Decide Future in Next Month

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Fedor Emelianenko suffered no major facial damage from his loss at the hands of Antonio Silva.

Doctors checked Emelianenko's right eye, which was swollen shut in a dominant second-round offensive by Silva, and found no problems, M-1 Global director of operations Evgeni Kogan told MMA Fighting.

"Fedor was checked last night and seemed fine this morning, in good spirits and walking around in sunglasses like a Hollywood star," Kogan said.

Doctors had originally feared the possibility of a broken orbital bone.

LINK

Post #1   2/14/11 8:57:07AM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:
I'm glad he didn't break his orbital bone. Even though he lost in my mind he showed a lot of toughness and resolve. How many other guys would have been able to survive full mount by a 280lb BJJ black belt?

Post #2   2/14/11 9:36:19AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by BigIP

I'm glad he didn't break his orbital bone. Even though he lost in my mind he showed a lot of toughness and resolve. How many other guys would have been able to survive full mount by a 280lb BJJ black belt?

Yeah he was mounted for nearly 5 full minutes too. His head movement, wrist control, and blocking was great given the situation he was in.

Post #3   2/14/11 10:36:04AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,590-1,480
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The fact that he also tried to get a sub at the end of the round after taking such a beating shows just how good he is. I can't think of too many guys that could have gotten through that without being stopped. Part of me believes that had he been allowed to continue he would have come back to win, I've just seen it too many times to doubt him. I really would like to see him once more, he seemed a little overly aggressive at the beginning of the fight and never really seemed settled in. It's got to be tough fighting for the first time after a loss after being so good for so long.

All that being said, Bigfoot looked great and earned himself the biggest win of his career. Good for him, bad for my inner fanboy.

Post #4   2/14/11 11:19:28AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,557-943
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

The fact that he also tried to get a sub at the end of the round after taking such a beating shows just how good he is. I can't think of too many guys that could have gotten through that without being stopped. Part of me believes that had he been allowed to continue he would have come back to win, I've just seen it too many times to doubt him. I really would like to see him once more, he seemed a little overly aggressive at the beginning of the fight and never really seemed settled in. It's got to be tough fighting for the first time after a loss after being so good for so long.

All that being said, Bigfoot looked great and earned himself the biggest win of his career. Good for him, bad for my inner fanboy.

Well stated sir. I was also wondering what would have happened if it went to a third round. As I was watching the broadcast, I thought that if it went to a third round Fedor's chances would get significantly better. Bigfoot seemed to be wearing out, and we all know Fedor would want to fight if he had both eyes gouged out.

Post #5   2/14/11 12:48:14PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:519-361
Chips:
that was serious beatdown in the 2nd. i have a feeling that if it would have gone to a third the results would have been similar. his eye was just to jacked up. he put up a good fight but his legendary stand up was far from legendary. his punches were more flailing than anything. retirement is a good option for fedor

Post #6   2/14/11 2:37:43PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,518-886
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I would have loved to have seen a third round considering the onslaught of punishment he endured during that second round. hell,he even managed to reverse the tide more than once in during that round. But I really don't know if it would have made any difference.

I believe one thing some of the Fedor haters are forgetting is this: In his entire MMA career the guy has three losses but has only been stopped once. In the other two fights the bouts where stopped.
That's not taking anything away from Bigfoot though. He stepped up and won a very convincing fight.

Last edited 2/14/11 3:54PM server time by mrsmiley
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   2/14/11 3:53:26PM