Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Despite retirement talk, Strikeforce's Fedor Emelianenko could be top grand-prix alternate

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

I have a feeling that if Silva lost to Fedor the exact same way he wouldn't be the #1 alternate.

Post #16   2/13/11 3:49:01PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Have Fedor vs AA or Lavar to earn his way back in as a wild card.

I would like to see Fedor training at a top camp in the USA perhaps. If he made some simple improvements like mixing it up, and if he tried to get bigger, by putting more muscle on and training with other good fighters, he wold have so much more potentital in my opinion. He should be in his prime now.

I would still say , put Fedor in the UFC

he can fight Struve, Mitrione, Kongo, Mir, Nog, CC
lots of fun matchups for an entertaining fighter like Fedor
Fedor vs Randy!

Post #17   2/13/11 4:24:01PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,439-874
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Keep Fedor out of the tournament. I have tons of respect for The Last Emperor, but he doesn't deserve to go back in there.

I would love to see him train and get in good with a top camp, like AKA or Jackson MMA or really any prominent, high level team. I would love to see him get back to his winning ways.

But really, what's the point? He has done more in this sport than anyone can fathom. I think the only achievement that rivals Fedor's dominance in the 2000's is Silva's run in the UFC. But that's about it. Walking away right now would be no shame at all. He owes us nothing.

He's not going to go undefeated for another decade. And yeah, it would be nice to see him make 205 and destroy people like he used to, but what's the point? In my opinion, Fedor himself will never be able to match what he already accomplished in this sport, and I don't know if anyone else will.

Post #18   2/13/11 5:39:53PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
If Coker really wanted Fedor in the finals this was a match-up he NEVER should have made. As a matter of fact, the whole left side of this brackett is heavily weighted. Bigfoot-Fedor was a pretty easy match to call.

In my opinion Bigfoot isn't a great fighter. He's average with great BJJ. His striking is rather mediocre and his ground and pound, wow, I don't even know what the hell to call that. It sort of reminded me of those cartoons we watched as children where the bully would put his hand on top of a kids head and keep him at a distance while he swung wildly and missed because he was much smaller. Except the opposite.

You just can't do anything when you have a 285 BJJ blackbelt on top of you. It's like Jacare with Lesnar's size. I mean for god's sake, Silva laughed and shook his head and finger when Fedor was trying for the heel hook. I knew, right then, Fedor was going to lose this fight.

To the point of this thread, though. Fedor should not, in any way, barring every single alternate going down with an injury, be a replacement. Silva hammered his eye shut and Fedor didn't look overly impressive in his performance. Coker cannot continue to make exceptions just because he is "Fedor." That stunts the growth and possibilities with the other talent he's trying to promote.

Post #19   2/13/11 6:08:27PM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

If Coker really wanted Fedor in the finals this was a match-up he NEVER should have made. As a matter of fact, the whole left side of this brackett is heavily weighted. Bigfoot-Fedor was a pretty easy match to call.

In my opinion Bigfoot isn't a great fighter. He's average with great BJJ. His striking is rather mediocre and his ground and pound, wow, I don't even know what the hell to call that. It sort of reminded me of those cartoons we watched as children where the bully would put his hand on top of a kids head and keep him at a distance while he swung wildly and missed because he was much smaller. Except the opposite.

You just can't do anything when you have a 285 BJJ blackbelt on top of you. It's like Jacare with Lesnar's size. I mean for god's sake, Silva laughed and shook his head and finger when Fedor was trying for the heel hook. I knew, right then, Fedor was going to lose this fight.

To the point of this thread, though. Fedor should not, in any way, barring every single alternate going down with an injury, be a replacement. Silva hammered his eye shut and Fedor didn't look overly impressive in his performance. Coker cannot continue to make exceptions just because he is "Fedor." That stunts the growth and possibilities with the other talent he's trying to promote. [/QUOTE

Mmmmm, that average chap Silva with cartoon ground and pound just beat Fedor Emelianenko with cartoon ground and pound

Jacare/Lesnar is a bit of an over exageration too.

Post #20   2/13/11 6:41:15PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,496-876
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
He didn't look bad in the fight. he can probably still beat a lot of HW's. If he got serious and trained with a top camp he could probably be the number 1 HW again. He's got all the skill you could ever ask for.

He could also probably drop to 205 and be a terror there.

What it all comes down to is if he still has the will for this. Thats the question with most older fighters, but with Fedor its especially true. What could he possibly want to accomplish after the career he's had? The only reasonable move would be coming to the UFC. Just get the UFC belt and retire. There's nothing for him in strikeforce.

Post #21   2/13/11 6:45:40PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BigBadAl
Mmmmm, that average chap Silva with cartoon ground and pound just beat Fedor Emelianenko with cartoon ground and pound

Jacare/Lesnar is a bit of an over exageration too.

Bigfoot with Jacare's credentials may have been an over exaggeration, but how was Lesnar an over exaggeration? Silva is 6'4 285. I never said that he had Lesnar's abilities in the wrestling department, I meant size-wise.

Just because Silva beat Fedor does not mean he's a GREAT MMA fighter. His striking needs a lot of improvement. His head movement needs improvement. His clinchwork needs vast improvement. At his size, he should have been able to do a lot more when he had Fedor up against the cage.

Also, I didn't say it was cartoon ground and pound, it was highly effective in the sense that it landed, but it definitely wasn't technical and won't work every time. Fedor gave up 55 pounds to a man with a certified BJJ black belt. When a man that size & with those credentials lands in mount, you're not getting up. That doesn't mean he looked good doing it.

Last edited 2/13/11 6:52PM server time by BlueSkiesBurn
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #22   2/13/11 6:52:33PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

To the point of this thread, though. Fedor should not, in any way, barring every single alternate going down with an injury, be a replacement. Silva hammered his eye shut and Fedor didn't look overly impressive in his performance. Coker cannot continue to make exceptions just because he is "Fedor." That stunts the growth and possibilities with the other talent he's trying to promote.

Sorry brother, gotta spread the props, but this is exactly my mentality.

Post #23   2/13/11 7:05:31PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,223-863
Chips:
he looked pretty badly injured after the fight i really cant see him being healthy enough to be an alternate. I think AA put up the better fight. he could have been winning that round but his paper chin got in the way. Fedor lost round one (tho it was close imo) and was completely dominated in the second.

besides wasnt that Del Rasario guy supposed to be the alternate? they are just pulling a Kimbo on TUF move to keep people watching.

Post #24   2/13/11 7:46:09PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by RearNakedJoke

Fedor lost round one (tho it was close imo) and was completely dominated in the second.

Wrong. Fedor won round one. Judges had it 10-9, 10-9, 9-10. They said this after the fight.

Post #25   2/13/11 11:05:30PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
Yeah I'm kind of surprised that even 1 judge gave it to Bigfoot. Let's be honest, Fedor landed way, way more shots and whenever Bigfoot was in control he pretty much just pressed Fedor against the cage.

It would've been interesting to see what the score would be like if the fight wasn't stopped and Fedor managed to win round 3. I think it would've ended up being a draw, because only 1 judge scored the second round 10-8, meaning the scores going into round 3 would've been 19-19, 18-19, and 18-20.

So even if Fedor took round 3, unless he got a finish the best he was looking at was a draw, winning round 3 would've put the scores to 29-28, 28-28, and 28-29. That would've been a real interesting outcome for a tournament bout.

Last edited 2/14/11 8:50AM server time by Aether

Post #26   2/14/11 8:49:03AM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

Posted by icantthinkofanything

I would still say , put Fedor in the UFC

he can fight Struve, Mitrione, Kongo, Mir, Nog, CC
lots of fun matchups for an entertaining fighter like Fedor
Fedor vs Randy!

If he's willing to take Kongo money, then fine.

Five million a fight is (and was) WAY too much compared to what the top stars make, and co-promoting with M1 was a joke of an idea.

Post #27   2/14/11 9:18:53AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,690-1,487
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Yeah I'm kind of surprised that even 1 judge gave it to Bigfoot. Let's be honest, Fedor landed way, way more shots and whenever Bigfoot was in control he pretty much just pressed Fedor against the cage.

It would've been interesting to see what the score would be like if the fight wasn't stopped and Fedor managed to win round 3. I think it would've ended up being a draw, because only 1 judge scored the second round 10-8, meaning the scores going into round 3 would've been 19-19, 18-19, and 18-20.

So even if Fedor took round 3, unless he got a finish the best he was looking at was a draw, winning round 3 would've put the scores to 29-28, 28-28, and 28-29. That would've been a real interesting outcome for a tournament bout.

I think you're forgetting one thing though...it depends on which judge scored the round for Silva in the first and which judge gave the 10-8 in the second. I don't believe they ever distinguished that. The scores could have been 19-19, 18-19, and 18-20...but if the same judge that gave Silva round one also gave him a 10-8 in round 2, the scores would be 19-19, 19-19, and 17-20. With those scores, Fedor would just need to win on the cards of those first 2 judges in round 3 to pull off the victory.

Last edited 2/14/11 12:22PM server time by grappler0000

Post #28   2/14/11 11:21:33AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,841-1,016
Chips:
Fedor's contract is to fight in the tournament, and after the tournament his contract is over.

Putting him in as an alternate is the only way to get him another fight without re-negotiating with M-1.

Post #29   2/14/11 11:40:20AM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,546-1,579
Camp: country KO
Chips:
Strikefrorce seems to be putting a lot of Money into a fighter that is past his prime and largely unknown in the US.

Post #30   2/14/11 1:58:18PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3