Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Chael Sonnen: 'I Consider Myself 5-1 Against (Anderson Silva)'

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,647-919
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Former UFC middleweight No. 1 contender Chael Sonnen made waves earlier this week when he spoke on Anderson Silva's UFC 126 win against Vitor Belfort, saying Silva "tipped [his] hand like a chump poker player at a $5 table in Atlantic City" to actor and former MMA fighter Paul Lazenby.

Now, Sonnen has followed up with even more comments to Lazenby. This is a doozy, folks.

From PaulLazenby.com:

Here's a little something for you "pocket protector/number cruncher" types: I hit Anderson Silva with more unanswered, undefended strikes than any fighter has landed on an opponent in the history of combat sports. Go count 'em up, Poindexters.

I struck him more times than Quasimodo struck the church bell at Notre Dame. I hit him so many times that I stopped fighting because my fists bouncing off his melon were ringing so loudly that it sounded like a bell, and I thought that the round, and the fight, were over. Actually, that's not true--I actually stopped out of mercy and boredom.

LINK

Post #1   2/11/11 10:42:56PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,647-919
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

I figured we'd be done with him by now. I will admit I thought his comments were hilarious leading up to the Silva fight, now it's just pathetic. I don't like watching him try to stay relevent during his personal issues. What makes it even worse is that this isn't just natural humor, he sits and thinks over his comments during his own time, and waits until he's on camera to put on a show. The REAL funny thing is, he believes most of what he says.

"Therefore, I consider myself 5-1 against him, even allowing for his tainted triangle which only came after I thought the fight was over, and I had already turned the side of his head into a bowl of porridge with my fists."

Turned the side of his head into a bowl of porridge? Looking back at the end of the fight, Silva has no cuts or bruises, yet Sonnen looks like he went through hell.

"even allowing for his tainted triangle which only came after I thought the fight was over"

The same "tained triangle" used on you by Griffin, Sobral, and Maia?

Post #2   2/11/11 11:00:52PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,583-1,357
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
During the fight build up, I found Chael to be somewhat funny trying to hype the fight. Now his schtick has become old and tiresome.

Post #3   2/11/11 11:22:54PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,426-871
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I didn't find Sonnen funny before the Silva fight. I thought he was just saying the same stuff all Anderson's other opponents had said to psyche themselves up. "He's never fought anyone like me", "This is my time", etc, etc. His performance during the fight was what impressed me because he seemed like the one guy who was backing up the talk.

Now I just don't know what to think. I haven't even gotten a chance to watch his video talking about Evan Tanner.....

Post #4   2/12/11 12:02:02AM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,742-1,520
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Who cares, the world considers him 0-1 against Anderson because that's exactly what he is.

Post #5   2/12/11 5:04:14AM   

vomitshovel

MMA Regular

vomitshovel Avatar

Career:136-93
Camp: Xtreme Fight Militia
Chips:
Chael Sonnen WAS 0-1 to Anderson. Now he's 0-2, as he has suffered public defeat in the sense that he is now obsessing over this fight. He's like the kid that almost made the team and keeps bringing it up, and all you wanna say is "Dude... you lost"
Someone needs to force feed this man some humble pie, preferably with a jackhammer.
So over sonnen opening his mouth every 3rd day

Post #6   2/12/11 9:02:34AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
He's marketing himself for a rematch hoping fans demand will unfreeze his contract.

Too bad Chael didnt finish the fight, than he would have nothing to complain about.

Post #7   2/12/11 11:20:04AM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Shut upppp Sonnen. Shut your mouth it's ridiculous how many stories we hear about this guys arrogant comments. If you lose in the fifth you lost quit making excuses because you have zero submission defense and never will if you havent learned some by now. Especially with all the triangle losses he has.

Post #8   2/12/11 11:38:09AM   

ac_gi

Standup Guy

ac_gi Avatar

Career:1,654-1,006
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
Haters. Chael beat his ass for 4 rounds then got subbed. It is what it is. He's funny and he knows how to pump a fight. Oh yeah, he's pretty damn good too.

Post #9   2/12/11 12:28:36PM   

king_katool

MMA Sensei

king_katool Avatar

Career:325-231
Chips:

Posted by ac_gi

Haters. Chael beat his ass for 4 rounds then got subbed. It is what it is. He's funny and he knows how to pump a fight. Oh yeah, he's pretty damn good too.

When did completly disrespectful become funny, the guy is a tool,

I might be laughing but I'm laughing at him, all those punches hes bragging about and his face still looked worse then Andy, o and he still lost

Post #10   2/12/11 1:51:32PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,495-875
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Some of his comments were pretty funny when he was scheduled to fight anderson.... its started to go to far and get annoying towards the end. Now (since he isn't scheduled to fight him) the comments are just annoying.

He took anderson down and controlled him well. But through out that whole fight he was getting punished worse than anderson. He got dropped (maybe multiple times? don't remember) and was battered by elbows. Then he got submitted. He was made to cry uncle. He quit. Anderson put him in a position where his two options were to ask for help from the reff or pass out in public (which is worse?). There is no doubt. It wasn't like it was a questionable decision. HE GOT STOPPED!

Post #11   2/12/11 4:02:04PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
Did everyone miss the fight? His talk might be pathetic if he had gotten destroyed but what he's saying is basically all true. He completely demolished Anderson for about 23 minutes and backed up all of the hype he generated for himself leading up to the fight, when no one gave him any chance in hell.

The guy backed his words up and earned his rematch by doing something that no one else on earth has been able to do so far. Whatever you think about his talk (yes it's way over the top and sometimes pretty ridiculous) it serves a purpose and it serves that purpose pretty effectively. If not for the testosterone controversy it's pretty much a guarantee that he would've gotten an immediate rematch, I don't think he's "obsessed" about the fight, I think he realizes that he earned himself a rematch, and is starting to hype it up, which he has done very successfully in the past.

He was effectively cleared of the steroid incident before anyone starts throwing that around as well. Like him or not he's clearly the guy with the best chance to beat Anderson right now, and another fight between them makes sense.

Post #12   2/12/11 5:29:28PM   

casketcoin

Standup Guy

casketcoin Avatar

Career:2,136-1,412
Camp: Fight Ducker
Chips:
does he ever shut up?

Post #13   2/12/11 7:12:33PM   

fonduktoe

In Full Mount

fonduktoe Avatar

Career:1,466-909
Camp: The Tokyo Bacon Wolves
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Did everyone miss the fight? His talk might be pathetic if he had gotten destroyed but what he's saying is basically all true. He completely demolished Anderson for about 23 minutes and backed up all of the hype he generated for himself leading up to the fight, when no one gave him any chance in hell.

The guy backed his words up and earned his rematch by doing something that no one else on earth has been able to do so far. Whatever you think about his talk (yes it's way over the top and sometimes pretty ridiculous) it serves a purpose and it serves that purpose pretty effectively. If not for the testosterone controversy it's pretty much a guarantee that he would've gotten an immediate rematch, I don't think he's "obsessed" about the fight, I think he realizes that he earned himself a rematch, and is starting to hype it up, which he has done very successfully in the past.

He was effectively cleared of the steroid incident before anyone starts throwing that around as well. Like him or not he's clearly the guy with the best chance to beat Anderson right now, and another fight between them makes sense.

my thoughts exactly. the guy was 2 minutes away from totally dominating someone many thought "unbeatable." the lack of respect for the performance he showed in his last fight is a stern reminder of how fickle mma fans truly are. his comments may be outrageous but he backs it up better than anyone else who has the balls to be that outrageous. i would love a rematch.

Post #14   2/12/11 9:24:24PM   

ChokeUout

In Full Mount

ChokeUout Avatar

Career:446-268
Chips:

Posted by fonduktoe

Posted by Aether

my thoughts exactly. the guy was 2 minutes away from totally dominating someone many thought "unbeatable." the lack of respect for the performance he showed in his last fight is a stern reminder of how fickle mma fans truly are. his comments may be outrageous but he backs it up better than anyone else who has the balls to be that outrageous. i would love a rematch.

Nobody is disrespecting Chael's Performance. For 23 minutes his performance was excellent, but in the end, his two biggest weaknesses led to his downfall: Lack of finishing ability and submission defence. It's a 25 minute fight, not a 23 minute fight.

What we are getting on Sonnen about is because he's talking like he won. He was funny leading up to the fight (And I'm a huge silva fan who doesn't like Sonnen, at all), now it's just being a sore loser. Saying he only lost because he thought he already won and he got caught in a "tainted triangle?" I don't think someone who (allegedly) fought with 4 times the legal level of testosterone in his body has any right to call anyone or anything "tainted".

Seriously, he's like the Bears fan who are crying saying they only lost to the Packers because Cutler got hurt. It's like getting in a street fight and getting knocked out and saying "Yeah, but I got a good b!tchslap in on him!"

He can throw all the similies and metaphors about him hitting Silva all he wants. He can say he's 5-1 against silva. He can cry over spilled milk all he wants. But Instead, he should probably work on restoring his image now that he's a Convicted Felon, and TRY to work his way back to sila.

In the meantime, Shut up Chael. Just shut up.. Nobody cares anymore

PS: Turn his face into a bowl of porriage? Who does Chael think he is, Goldie Locks?

Last edited 2/13/11 1:12AM server time by ChokeUout
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #15   2/12/11 10:40:47PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2