Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

White Says Future Is Here With UFC.tv, Online Pirates Should Prep For Jail Time

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

I have a simular outlook as well. The thing I hate about what white is saying,or at least what he is hinting at is that the situation is black and white. If you have streamed one PPV they act as if you must have streamed them all and the hammers coming down on you.
The truth is,i'm willing to bet that a lot of hardcore fans have probably paid for the majority and possibly have streamed a few as well. Most people I know are like this.
I know a lot of people will have objections to this but I don't see much of a difference in watching one from a stream or going to the bar and watching it.
Sure i'm paying for beer but my local hangout does not have a cover charge to watch and if I do the same thing at home i'm just saving a little more on beer and food. Either way if i really wanted I can watch it for freeat my house or the bar,but last weekend I still shelled out 54.99 for the PPV and have done so many a times before.

I'm right there with you. I don't care, though. I don't have enough money to spread it around to all the things I want to enjoy. Most people don't these days. I have one of the largest DVD (purchased) collections you'll probably ever see, but I also burn DVD's as well.

I'm doing my part. If the RIAA, MPAA, and UFC want me stop burning, downloading, and steaming sh*t (I'm gonna leave this typo because it's hilarious, but I meant streaming), they should quit charging me an arm and a leg to enjoy it live.

I remember when movies were like $5, now you have to f*cking budget just to go to an evening at the movies. You seriously have to account for the $20 at the window (especially since everything is in 3D these days and costs extra) account for dinner beforehand, and account for the snack counter. It's seriously a $60-$80 night on some nights.

Some UFC's aren't worth the full price. The cards get changed, the cards aren't overly compelling, people get injured after you've already told people you'd get it at your house, etc...

CD's are an entirely different story. You buy a CD because you like a couple songs and it turns out that the rest of the CD blows ass. Might as well save yourself the money and either pay .99 cents to iTunes for the one song, find someone who has the CD and burn it, or just download them.

People in charge of entertainment act like the everyman has hundreds and thousands of dollars that we can just spend on their sh*t, we don't. Hell, the NFL pisses me off, too. If a game isn't completely sold out, they black it out on TV. It's not exactly like I can just up and say, "I'm going to the Niners game today because I don't have anything else to do"

I go to at least 3 USC games every season and they break me every time. Hotels, souvenirs, food, drinks, tailgating. Stuff is expensive. They need to realize that attendance, purchases, viewership, and orders would actually increase if they quit charging so damn much for things.

Last edited 2/9/11 7:05PM server time by blueskiesburn
Edit note/reason: pointed out a hilarious typo

Post #16   2/9/11 7:03:58PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Although I don't know if I'd use it, mainly because I tend to get better quality with the Yahoo Sports streams (they go up to 1200K where I could only go to 600K with UFC's), I do like some of the ideas, especially the interactive scoring feature. I'm one of those who always likes to score rounds as fights progress so this would be a fun way to see how I score it perhaps compared to others, but ultimately I'd like to see them do what HBO now does with boxing-show the judges' round-by-round scores after every round.
As far as the piracy and stuff, I used to do the free streaming thing when I started out but decided to pay when I found Yahoo streamed them for better quality plus it's a good way to support the promotion and the fighters. If I'm gonna do the streaming stuff online instead of paying, it's gonna be for the "p" word.

Post #17   2/9/11 8:17:46PM   

king_katool

MMA Sensei

king_katool Avatar

Career:325-231
Chips:

Posted by DCRage

Although I don't know if I'd use it, mainly because I tend to get better quality with the Yahoo Sports streams (they go up to 1200K where I could only go to 600K with UFC's), I do like some of the ideas, especially the interactive scoring feature. I'm one of those who always likes to score rounds as fights progress so this would be a fun way to see how I score it perhaps compared to others, but ultimately I'd like to see them do what HBO now does with boxing-show the judges' round-by-round scores after every round.
As far as the piracy and stuff, I used to do the free streaming thing when I started out but decided to pay when I found Yahoo streamed them for better quality plus it's a good way to support the promotion and the fighters. If I'm gonna do the streaming stuff online instead of paying, it's gonna be for the "p" word.

Ping-Pong championship?

Post #18   2/10/11 12:57:44AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
finally a realistic way to try to deal with piracy. It's not ever going to be stopped, but what the companies that are trying to fight it can do is design new formats of the media being pirated with better quality, more options, etc. You are never going to stop piracy, but if you can offer an alternative with a similar, but improved format at a reasonable price you can definitely cut away a chunk of it and regain some of the revenue you otherwise wouldn't have received.

This is a realistic and intelligent way to deal with pirating. Trying to brute-force the general public with threats of jail time, cease and desist orders, etc. is not, and trying to do it only makes us all feel a lot safer stealing their media every time they fail to prosecute another person. They need to stop with it, because it clearly isn't working.

Post #19   2/10/11 5:48:33AM   

DJSyko

MMA Regular

DJSyko Avatar

Career:1,231-718
Chips:
A free Fight night event for everyone using this would be great and am sure if its good it will sell pretty well. Obvisouly people from the UK wont pay for this(well maybe a few) because we get it cheap enough on ESPN, but it does sound pretty awesome. If only you could have a remote to switch angles and stuff with.

Post #20   2/10/11 6:08:31AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2