Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Alleged Theft Forces Cancellation of Immortal MMA Event in Hawaii

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,803-1,002
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
WAHIAWA, Hawaii -- Originally supposed to host a night a mixed martial arts fights, the Martinez Gym at Schofield Army Barracks was instead the scene of an alleged crime.

The event, which was being promoted by Immortal MMA and was to be headlined by a light heavyweight bout between Jason Guida and Tasi Edwards, was canceled on Saturday just moments before it was set to begin.

“I was notified that the purse money for the fighters had been stolen out of one of the inspector’s vehicles, so, obviously, we had to take the legal route and get the Military Police and [Honolulu Police Department] and all that involved,” said Jeremy Varney, the event’s promoter. “I brought all the fighters and their managers into the room and explained to them the situation; the state explained to them the situation. And then we gave them the option [that] if they wanted to fight, they could fight and I would pay them at a later date, or they could just walk if they wanted to.

“Ultimately, I made the decision [to cancel the event] because there were only six fighters that agreed to fight out of nine bouts,” he added. “The rest of them were just, you know, it was more ‘I want to get paid’ than it was a fight for the troops, which is completely understandable. You know, [the fighters] train their asses off and they want to get paid and I completely understand. That’s business.”

LINK

Post #1   2/7/11 8:38:39PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
I sincerely hope that the asshole who perpetrated this crime is caught and then left alone in a room with a bunch of the troops. Then, after that, they should leave him alone in a room with the fighters, too.

Post #2   2/7/11 9:10:20PM   

Taylor8766

Belt Contender

Taylor8766 Avatar

Career:740-512
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
That sucks to hear that someone would do that.

However I'm kinda dissappointed that the fighters wouldnt fight anyways, they train there asses off and cut weight figured they would still wanna fight. Especially when the organizers of the event said that they would pay them at a later date it makes no sense why they wouldnt fight, to me it would be a waist of time for them not to because they wouldnt get any money at all. At least if they fought they would get it at a later date.

Post #3   2/7/11 9:43:36PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by Taylor8766

That sucks to hear that someone would do that.

However I'm kinda dissappointed that the fighters wouldnt fight anyways, they train there asses off and cut weight figured they would still wanna fight. Especially when the organizers of the event said that they would pay them at a later date it makes no sense why they wouldnt fight, to me it would be a waist of time for them not to because they wouldnt get any money at all. At least if they fought they would get it at a later date.

FEG comes to mind. I understand not fighting if there's no money. I wouldn't fight for the promise of money at a later date. Work is work, I expect to get paid after I work. It's not like these guys are sitting on a nest egg and can just "wait" for their paychecks.

They have bills. If they get injured in the fight and have to take time off, they need that money.

Post #4   2/7/11 9:47:54PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,903-1,083
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Smells fishy.

1. Why did they have a bag full of money? Nobody uses a check in Hawaii? If a business has that much cash, doesn't it normally get it insured , especially if it is going to get transferred from place to place.

2. Why did the freaking inspector have the money? Normally, the state gets involved in these things to make sure that the promoter has the money to pay, but normally it is done with a bond or placed into a trust account or something else besides gathering up a bag full of cash handing it over to the government.

Post #5   2/7/11 10:23:47PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,394-765
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Smells fishy.

1. Why did they have a bag full of money? Nobody uses a check in Hawaii? If a business has that much cash, doesn't it normally get it insured , especially if it is going to get transferred from place to place.

2. Why did the freaking inspector have the money? Normally, the state gets involved in these things to make sure that the promoter has the money to pay, but normally it is done with a bond or placed into a trust account or something else besides gathering up a bag full of cash handing it over to the government.

Post #6   2/8/11 12:01:22AM