Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Chael Sonnen: 'Anderson Silva revealed yet another weakness for me to exploit in our rematch'

Print  
  Page 4 of 5     1     2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

Cobbs666

Standup Guy

Cobbs666 Avatar

Career:1,063-740
Camp: *TeaM SaTaN*
Chips:
Steven Seagal Ate Chuck Norris's Shirt

Post #46   2/8/11 12:37:24PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by telnights

First off Anderson Silva looked very sluggish in his fight with Chael which was later said to because of a rib injury he suffered before the fight. But yet is still managed to make Chael tap out after getting beat up for 5 rounds. So Chael couldn't beat a slow and injured Anderson so how on earth does he think he will beat Anderson when he is healthy.

Chael needs to be more worried about his legal trouble and less about what he thinks is a weakness. Also some don't want to admit it but Chael was fined and suspended for breaking the rules. Which when you break the rules that means you CHEATED.

You have a valid point by the textbook definition of cheating, but surely, as an ex-law enforcement officer, you understand the letter of the law and the spirit of the law.

Chael wasn't blatantly trying to performance enhance his way to a victory. He was undergoing a respected and often utilized medical treatment program. He only cheated in the sense that his paperwork wasn't current/had not been filed.

It wasn't the act of medical doping which got him suspended. It was a paperwork issue.

That being said, there's absolutely no excuses for a fighter undergoing that kind of Hormone Therapy Replacement to NOT have filed his paperwork.

That being said, though, I think people are too quick to lump him in with the Barnett, A-Rod, and Manny spectrum of steroid usage rather than the medically approved, but poorly handled.

If anything, I'd say this is closer to the Vikings' Williams brothers who failed their PED tests because Star-Caps didn't list the banned substance on its active ingredients. Should they have called the NFL approved substance hotline? Absolutely. Is the onus on them to do so? Absolutely.

Could anyone have made that mistake, though? Surely.

Post #47   2/8/11 4:45:01PM   

marcoDGK

Standup Guy

marcoDGK Avatar

Career:317-259
Camp: DGK
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by telnights

Also some don't want to admit it but Chael was fined and suspended for breaking the rules. Which when you break the rules that means you CHEATED.

Do you mean excuse or did you really mean mistake?

Post #48   2/8/11 5:47:14PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by marcoDGK

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by telnights

Also some don't want to admit it but Chael was fined and suspended for breaking the rules. Which when you break the rules that means you CHEATED.

At a certain point, it's a little of column A and a little of column B. I truly mean that.

Sonnen's responsibilities as a fighter are to prepare and have a good camp. He's got doctors and people that should be filing paperwork like that. That's the whole point of having a management team and a camp. They minimize your responsibilities and help you prepare.

Ultimately, Sonnen is responsible for Sonnen's medical paperwork and the filing of documents, but I can easily see how something like that could get lost in the "I thought you were gonna handle that" & "well, I thought YOU were gonna handle that." stuff that happens.

When I first applied to a graduate program at the University from which I obtained my Bachelor's degree, I had a HUGE list of things to do. Anyone who has ever applied to grad school knows what I'm talking about.

I had GRE prep classes, the GRE class, getting my letters of recommendation, securing my transcripts, filling out my application, writing my letter of intent, outlining my program of study, stating why my thesis was relevant, and giving a writing sample.

Now, my grandmother died the week of the deadline, I turned in every single thing except for my writing sample. They denied me admission. Never mind that the department that I had applied to was the EXACT same department I had just graduated from 2 months ago. I knew every professor by name and had most of their cell phone numbers programmed in to my phone. I graduated with honors and had one of the highest G.P.A.'s of anyone in the Sociology program. Because I failed to submit the proper paperwork, I was ruled ineligible for the program.

Stuff happens. I consider these things to be pretty much the same because academia is my life's work. I plan to be a collegiate professor and work within the NCAA. Just like fighting is Sonnen's career, he messed up something that made him ineligible.

He only has himself to blame, don't get me wrong, just like I only had myself to blame, but stuff can get lost in the preparation of things. Sometimes things just come up and you blow a huge responsibility.

Post #49   2/8/11 6:15:51PM   

marcoDGK

Standup Guy

marcoDGK Avatar

Career:317-259
Camp: DGK
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by marcoDGK

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by telnights

At a certain point, it's a little of column A and a little of column B. I truly mean that.

lol Have you noticed that most things we talk about on this forum are speculations formed from our own personal opinions? Most of the time we don’t have a conversation… we just find something to argue about. It’s playful banter.

Post #50   2/8/11 6:38:58PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by marcoDGK

lol Have you noticed that most things we talk about on this forum are speculations formed from our own personal opinions? Most of the time we don’t have a conversation… we just find something to argue about. It’s playful banter.

It's an Orange County thing. I don't think anyone from OC has ever had a "conversation" we mostly just argue about why we are right and others are wrong.

(I know I live in Bakersfield now, but I was born and raised in Irvine/Laguna Beach) Still go home to OC at least 5 times a year.

Last edited 2/8/11 6:48PM server time by blueskiesburn
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #51   2/8/11 6:47:59PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
I am completly certain Chael is high on PCP most of the time. I mean is this guy still talking shite!!???? For christ sake he is still suspended by the UFC isn't he?? And yet he still barks about getting a TITLE fight again??

Post #52   2/8/11 6:53:17PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,329-737
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn
You have a valid point by the textbook definition of cheating, but surely, as an ex-law enforcement officer, you understand the letter of the law and the spirit of the law.

Chael wasn't blatantly trying to performance enhance his way to a victory. He was undergoing a respected and often utilized medical treatment program. He only cheated in the sense that his paperwork wasn't current/had not been filed.

It wasn't the act of medical doping which got him suspended. It was a paperwork issue.

That being said, there's absolutely no excuses for a fighter undergoing that kind of Hormone Therapy Replacement to NOT have filed his paperwork.

That being said, though, I think people are too quick to lump him in with the Barnett, A-Rod, and Manny spectrum of steroid usage rather than the medically approved, but poorly handled.

If anything, I'd say this is closer to the Vikings' Williams brothers who failed their PED tests because Star-Caps didn't list the banned substance on its active ingredients. Should they have called the NFL approved substance hotline? Absolutely. Is the onus on them to do so? Absolutely.

There is a difference but also as a x-law enforcement officer I know better than to trust the word of a known liar and now criminal. Call it what you want but fact is Testosterone Replacement Therapy could just be his cover for something else but there is no real way to prove otherwise. Only Chael knows the truth. But fact is letter of the law or not Chael is a cheater, liar, and now criminal.

Post #53   2/8/11 11:29:05PM   

GSPCanada

Standup Guy

Career:637-415
Chips:

Posted by telnights

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

There is a difference but also as a x-law enforcement officer I know better than to trust the word of a known liar and now criminal. Call it what you want but fact is Testosterone Replacement Therapy could just be his cover for something else but there is no real way to prove otherwise. Only Chael knows the truth. But fact is letter of the law or not Chael is a cheater, liar, and now criminal.

Again, Chael's testosterone levels were way higher than what they were in past testings this goes beyond an unfortunate paperwork accident, my guess is he probably used Hormone replacement in excess or something to that degree but that is just speculation and as mentioned above only chael knows the truth but based on facts when a known cheater, liar, and criminal comes in with abnormally high levels of testosterone (abnormally high compared to what they were 6-12 months ago) he should not get the benefit of the doubt

Post #54   2/9/11 12:01:15AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by GSPCanada

Again, Chael's testosterone levels were way higher than what they were in past testings this goes beyond an unfortunate paperwork accident, my guess is he probably used Hormone replacement in excess or something to that degree but that is just speculation and as mentioned above only chael knows the truth but based on facts when a known cheater, liar, and criminal comes in with abnormally high levels of testosterone (abnormally high compared to what they were 6-12 months ago) he should not get the benefit of the doubt

I get that they were abnormally high, but without evidence saying that it WASN'T explainable by HRT, I'm not gonna bury the guy in steroid allegations. Known liars, cheaters, and criminals shouldn't get the benefit of the doubt, but I'm also not going to pronounce someone automatically guilty because they have strikes against them.

To my knowledge, and correct me if I am wrong, Chael hasn't "lied" in the world of MMA. He has lied in his professional non-fighting life and has been convicted of those lies, but that does not cross-over to an, otherwise, unblemished fighting career.

I'm not saying I trust the guy, I'm not even saying I'd loan him $10. I am saying, though, that the two issues are completely separate. In most other sports, we separate criminal offenses from PED positive tests.

One is a clearcut case of wrong doing and the other is something that may never be answered. Just because he was convicted of a white collar crime, doesn't mean he needs to be lumped in, based on lack of evidence, with the category of explicitly known cheaters.

I mean, Sonnen knew and said to the CSAC he would fail the test. A-Roid, on the other hand, vehemently denied any association with PED's until incontrovertible evidence was presented and he reneged on his claims against PED's.

This COULD or COULD NOT be a case of PED's or therapy gone wrong. Sonnen will, ultimately, either fall from grace due to his legal issues, steroid issues, or a combination of the two. Right now, though, it doesn't appear that Dana White is shying away from keeping Chael around, which tells me that Dana knows more about this situation than any of us.

There must be more to it, because Dana has never, to my knowledge, kept a fighter with this much B.S. happening to them in one fell swoop.

Last edited 2/9/11 1:08AM server time by blueskiesburn
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #55   2/9/11 1:07:58AM   

Franklinfan47

Gettin Paper!

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,552-1,397
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
After all the crap Sonnen has been through in the last year, he really needs to stop talkin sheeit imo.

That said, I will openly admit that a rematch with Anderson interests me. It was the only time Silva looked human.

Post #56   2/9/11 10:27:48AM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,528-1,568
Camp: country KO
Chips:
I've just tested this thread and it came back with 4 times the normal post count, I think Chael has been using post enhancing trash talk. I've noticed for how sick of him alot of people seem to be, he generates more activity on the playground news forums than anyone else.

Post #57   2/9/11 3:14:46PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Free Chael Sonnen

Post #58   2/9/11 3:26:10PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,329-737
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn
To my knowledge, and correct me if I am wrong, Chael hasn't "lied" in the world of MMA. He has lied in his professional non-fighting life and has been convicted of those lies, but that does not cross-over to an, otherwise, unblemished fighting career.

He has lied more than one way and has been busted more than once on it. In his fight with Anderson at first he claimed he didn't tap. Also in his first fight with Paulo Filho he pulled basically the same thing. To understand Sonnen you have to understand his mentor and that is Matt Lindland. Sonnen is doing the same stuff Matt Lindland did years ago. Matt Lindland claimed he didn't tap in his fight with Murilo Bustamante and Big John ended up restarting the fight. It was shown in replays that Matt Lindland clearly tapped out and it was the only real black mark on Big John's record. Matt Lindland also basically cheated and sued his way on to the 2000 Greco-Roman Olympic Team whcih you can read about HERE.

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn
Known liars, cheaters, and criminals shouldn't get the benefit of the doubt,

You ever heard the saying "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me". Also another one comes to mind "Where There is Smoke There is Fire". There is a reason these sayings are around and it is for poeple like Matt Lindland and Chael Sonnen.

Post #59   2/9/11 4:29:58PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by telnights

He has lied more than one way and has been busted more than once on it. In his fight with Anderson at first he claimed he didn't tap. Also in his first fight with Paulo Filho he pulled basically the same thing. To understand Sonnen you have to understand his mentor and that is Matt Lindland. Sonnen is doing the same stuff Matt Lindland did years ago. Matt Lindland claimed he didn't tap in his fight with Murilo Bustamante and Big John ended up restarting the fight. It was shown in replays that Matt Lindland clearly tapped out and it was the only real black mark on Big John's record. Matt Lindland also basically cheated and sued his way on to the 2000 Greco-Roman Olympic Team whcih you can read about HERE.

I knew about the the Olympic thing with Lindland. I've also heard stuff about the faux taps as well, but that's pretty much strategy these days. Fighters constantly tap their opponent out of the view of the ref so they loosen the submission. I actually think we have had a thread on that subject.

Is it chicken sh*t? absolutely. However, I've sort of just accepted it as part of the game. It's like the last minute of a basketball game that actually takes 10 minutes. Does it ever f*cking work? NO!!!! It's just part of the game now, though.

I think more is being made about Sonnen claiming he didn't tap than the millions of others that claim the same stuff. I mean for God's sake, George Roop was adamant that he wasn't knocked out in his last fight with Hominick. He jumped up and started protesting, then he completely lost his bearings and damn near fell in to the other side of the cage, but Hominick held him up.

Fighters say they never tapped, weren't knocked out, etc..just like other sports teams claim they were the better team in the playoffs even though they lost.

I don't care much for Lindland and understand what you're saying, but I just think it's normal and part of the game, though. It's not really something I'm prepared to hate Sonnen or Lindland over more than anyone else who pulls the same crap.

You ever heard the saying "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me". Also another one comes to mind "Where There is Smoke There is Fire". There is a reason these sayings are around and it is for poeple like Matt Lindland and Chael Sonnen.

I have head "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." BUT I've also heard this

Post #60   2/9/11 5:08:45PM   

Page 4 of 5     1     2     3     4     5