Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jon Jones: I'm Going To Win This Fight Against Mauricio Rua At UFC 128

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
That's what he told Ariel Helwani last night. "You know what, I thought Shogun was cool when I was younger because he was a 23-year old Pride champ, and I love Jose Aldo because he's a 23-year old UFC champion. I'm definitely not afraid of it, I know it's very possible. Right now, I just need to keep the people close to me that's always been there and realize that there's going to be a lot more distractions coming my way but I'm prepared for it mentally. And I promise myself that I won't allow myself to fall by the wayside. I'm way too close to my dreams to slow down or start doing anything dumb and I won't do anything dumb. I'm gonna win this fight."

Article

Last edited 2/6/11 8:38AM server time by DCRage
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   2/6/11 8:37:57AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
taking Rua down, not a good idea, member Randleman? Jones has much longer limbs to break. Rua is much better off his back than Bader, who has no exp. off his back
As long as the Rua that fought last ,shows up, I expect a first or second round ko. Jones could use some experience fighting Rampgage or Machida or a striker that will pressure him.

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #2   2/6/11 9:32:39AM   

GraMMA

MMA Regular

GraMMA Avatar

Career:890-539
Chips:
I told someone at work yesterday that Jones would eventually be champion,but I didn't expect it to happen this soon.
Jones is so big and talented that somehow he's going to smash even Rua.

Post #3   2/6/11 9:39:05AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Jones puts alot of weight on his lead leg and really leaves it out there I see Shogun using his leg kicks to chop him down then using a high low combination to finish him off.

Post #4   2/6/11 10:21:09AM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
This is to quick for Jones.......He is going to come in way to over confident and Shogun will make him pay........

Post #5   2/6/11 10:42:30AM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:1,999-1,233
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
I agree with jones

Post #6   2/6/11 11:28:43AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,460-1,306
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I was excited when they annouced it
Couldn't believe evans is out
This is a better match. If jones wins
Will evans fight jones. ??

Post #7   2/6/11 11:35:08AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
I expected Jones to beat Bader with the caveat that Bader had the power to catch Jones with a crazy-lucky overhand right. But on the whole, I saw Jones landing the more creative shots on the feet while controlling Bader in the clinch and on the ground. I figured Bader would fade after the first round (as he usually does) while Jones would work ground and pound for a clear decision victory, possibly a stoppage, but the submission itself surprised me. Rather impressive.

After Jones won, I wanted him to fight Rampage, Machida, or Thiago Silva as a tune-up before a title fight, but I'm okay with him fighting Shogun at this point. He's young, he took little damage in the Bader fight, he's improved every time we've seen him, and I think they present some interesting style matchups with each other. Jones hasn't faced a super awesome striker yet, nor has he fought a guy so good from his back. I see Shogun threatening a lot with sweeps, leglocks, and helicopter reversals if he gets taken down (and I think that's a reasonable expectation).

This is really a pick-em fight, with the x-factor being Shogun's health coming in. Will his knee be fully rehabbed, allowing him to not only move at his best but to bring the kind of cardio he showed against Machida?

I think the only bad thing about this fight is that someone's gonna lose. I don't see it going to a draw, and both fighters are among my favorites not only for their skill but for their personalities. It'll be exciting and heartbreaking for me at the same time.

Post #8   2/6/11 12:05:18PM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:
Jon's size and reach advantage will be the deciding factors. On another note Rogan needs to have a tv next to him showing him other angles. Bader's tap was melodramatic because Rogan did not realize how deep it was.

Post #9   2/6/11 12:47:43PM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
Ive never doubted Jones, until now.
but for some reason, I think he will pull it off

Post #10   2/6/11 12:53:22PM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,786-990
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
We will see, Jones. We will see.

Post #11   2/6/11 12:58:43PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,433-837
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Shogun didn't look very impressive against Overeem but he won both fights with him. Shogun lost to Forrest and struggled against Coleman, that's two big LHW's that were thought to be easy match-ups for him. I think this is definitely a tougher match-up for Shogun than Rashad after watching that Bader fight. Shogun should be able to win this fight on his technical superiority, but his cardio is highly suspect coming off of knee surgery, and he's going to be in more vulnerable situations than Jones so he's going to have to out work him to get the W. I don't think Shoguns kicks are going to be a huge factor like most believe, I think it's going to be Shogun's punching and ground game that will need to win this fight if he's going to win. Jones, we already know his strengths but his elbows are getting better and better, He's dangerous because he brings the kitchen sink to the table so you never can get comfortable, while still very green he has the best body control in the business and he is an athletic freak for somebody so big. If Shogun shows up in great shape this could be one of the all-time great fights. This in my opinion is top LHW of the future and the top LHW of the past decade and still near his prime.

Post #12   2/6/11 2:22:48PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:

Will evans fight jones. ??

Surely you haven't missed it being brought up on news sites several times before with the answer always being the same, titles on the line or not: NEVER. THey've both said it'll never happen.
And although I'm not much of a Jones fan yet (but I'm impressed with his progress) I definitely hope he wins the title just to take it away from Rua.

Post #13   2/6/11 3:24:58PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
i think jones will do it. shoguns coming off a long break due to injury and other than his KO over machida he hasnt really impressed me as much as i would like. hes a savage but hes been better in the past IMO. jones is coming off a big win with no injuries and has handled everyone of his opponents so far. i truly believed he would have a lot more problems with bader than he did. i could definitely see him nullifying shoguns kicks with his long ass arms and then getting the take down to win rounds.

Post #14   2/6/11 4:55:39PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,543-899
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
He's got the it factor. He's impressed the hell out of me so far. Still... I just can't see him beating shogun. He's jumping up a big level here.

Post #15   2/6/11 5:35:26PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2