Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 126 bonuses: Silva, Jones, Cerrone and Kelly each earn $75K awards

Print  
Posted By Message

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,763-1,756
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
lunk LAS VEGAS – Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Donald Cerrone and Paul Kelly each earned $75,000 "Fight Night" bonuses for their performances at Saturday's UFC 126 event.

Silva earned the night's "Knockout of the Night" award, Jones got the "Submission of the Night" bonus, and Cerrone and Kelly each earned "Fight of the Night" honors.

Post #1   2/6/11 2:06:37AM   

zxandu

MMA Regular

zxandu Avatar

Career:258-224
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
Good stuff.

Post #2   2/6/11 2:15:50AM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
The WEC boys did good tonight.....was expecting a tad more from Torres though.

Post #3   2/6/11 3:04:08AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
I actually think Torres fought well last night, and that if there's any blame to be distributed, it should be to Banuelos - or to Joe Rogan, who seemed contradictory to me in his commentary.

Torres fought exactly the kind of fight he should. He stayed on the outside, his jab looking much better than it did against Valencia. Back then, he seemed to use it more as a ward, a measuring stick for his other punches. It seemed to be telegraphed without much power behind it. But last night, Torres' jab did what it should - it controlled distance on a shorter fighter, it landed cleanly and snapped the head back (stumbling Banuelos at least once when he was caught off balance), and it damaged a vulnerable area repeatedly (in this case, the nose). Plus, it set up some clean right hands and body kicks as the fight progressed.

I'll accept the criticism that Torres could've worked harder to finish the fight, for sure, but I think it's equally reasonable to accept that It'll take a while to get away from the style he used for a decade, the one where he'd swarm anyone with punches and accept nearly any takedown due to confidence in his BJJ. Considering he's been using this gameplan for not even a year with 2 fights, he looked sharp and executed with discipline. Give him a year or two with this newer style, and I think he'll look much more impressive. He'll still have a great chin that'll let him stay in the pocket more than most, but he'll first set up those exchanges with smart combos from the outside.

As for Banuelos, he followed Hackleman's advice for maybe 1-2 minutes of the entire fight. He needed to get in and try to bully Torres around. Last night was as good of a time as any to test Torres' new gameplan, considering that once you start getting hit in the face, your old habits are more likely to come back. Instead, he waited until the final 30 seconds to do anything aggressive, and he ended up with a broken nose for his failure to press.

And yeah, I definitely took issue with Rogan's criticism, considering that not long ago, GSP employed a similar jab-heavy strategy against a heavy puncher in Josh Koscheck. There's no question that GSP's jabs were more effective, considering the first one broke Koscheck's orbital bone, or that GSP's overall game was stronger, but Rogan was generally positive in his assessment of GSP's gameplan. I was, as well, but I maintained a consistent view with Torres.

Banuelos might not be as skilled as Kos, relatively speaking, but he brings a similar game of heavy, close/midrange punches and strong top control. Torres did what he had to do, and if he keeps this up, I like him in a rematch with Bowles at the very least. Based on his performance there, he might be able to run at the belt, but it would take a lot more for me to favor him over Cruz at this point.

Post #4   2/6/11 11:56:08AM