Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Alistair Overeem: 'Cain Velasquez is number one because I haven't competed against the names'

Print  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem admits that UFC champion Cain Velasquez is the No. 1 heavyweight in mixed martial arts.

But Overeem says that won't be the case by the end of the year.

"Cain Velasquez is No. 1 now because I haven't competed against the names," Overeem told MMAFighting.com. "So there is that argument, that I haven't fought the caliber opponents I should -- I wanted to, but either they wouldn't fight me, or the schedule didn't work out. But that's what this tournament is about."

Link

Last edited 2/5/11 1:08PM server time by SmileR
Edit note/reason: n/a

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   2/5/11 1:07:53PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,509-889
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Overeem is peaking but he hasn't proven he's the man yet. i consider him top 5 range but Fedor was only ranked high because nobody ever knocked him off the top, and Overeem isn't going to Jump an undefeated velasquez or a one loss JDS if they emerge UFC HWT Champion, no matter who he beats in Strikeforce. If Lesner regains the belt, and Overeem steam rolls Strikeforce, then we can start having the conversation about Overeem being the number 1 guy. Right now, I think Cain is number 1, JDS number 2, and Overeem is slightly behind JDS.

Post #2   2/5/11 1:40:47PM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:558-406
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
I really like the way Overeem presents himself. He is modest after winning three titles last year? Now I don't think he gets to leapfrog Cain, or some of the other UFC top tier guys, but the reality is that Strikeforce has a lot of talent in their HW the division, the only issue I see coming from their talent is that all of the guys in the tourney have been around for a long time or at least closing in on their peaking years. Werdum is 33, Overeem is only 30 but with 46 mma fights and 14 k-1 which is going to inevitably slow guys down, Fedor is 34 and hasn't fought top level guys consistently for about 6 years now (no that doesn't mean I don't think he is a beast it just means that it is hard ranking him in the top 5), Bigfoot is 31 but has had few fights against top level fighters, and Barnett is 33 aned unproven over the past 5 years largely in part to his suspension. Rogers looked like a contender until he got dismantled by Overeem. All in all I think Strikefoce has one hell of a HW division, but Dana White and the boys at Zuffa constantly develope talent and guys like Jon Jones who nobody even knew 3 years ago are now ready for number one contender, and title fights. If Overeem runs through Werdum, Fedor, and Barnett, then maybe I'll give the guy credit for being number 1, but in reality I really want to see him fight the guys in the UFC. I realize that isn't likely, but I feel like most mma fans (regardless of how they feel about the big boys at UFC throwing their weight around) want to see those fights.

Post #3   2/5/11 1:53:46PM   

teddythetuna

In Full Mount

teddythetuna Avatar

Career:1,164-752
Chips:
Cain wont be at the top either when Junior ko's him

Post #4   2/5/11 2:16:46PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,550-909
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Overeem comes across as a class act their. I think if this goes off without a hitch SF may prove their HW division rivals,if not tops the UFC's to certain degrees.What I love about this tourney,what makes it so compelling is that all these guys have so much to prove at the current posistion in their careers.
Fedor has to prove he can come back from his first real loss and claim the throne once more. Overeem has to show that he deserves his spot as the SF champ,Barney has his own demons to conquer. Werdum has to prove his huge upset victory wasn't a fluke,Rogers needs to show he can rebound from his consecutive losses and show himself as a contender. AA has to show he's still got what it takes despite the criticism.
A lot of angles they can push with the tournement and I hope they take the time to tell those stories.

Post #5   2/5/11 2:22:02PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by teddythetuna

If that happens I'll tattoo JDS's face on top of my face. Cain will school him!

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #6   2/5/11 3:40:23PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,928-1,103
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

Posted by teddythetuna

I give Cain the edge, but wouldn't risk my ability to interact with humanity without scaring the **** out of it.

Post #7   2/5/11 5:41:24PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Posted by SmileR

Posted by teddythetuna

I give Cain the edge, but wouldn't risk my ability to interact with humanity without scaring the **** out of it.

I concur.

Post #8   2/5/11 6:12:59PM   

BigMattZeus

Learning to Sprawl

BigMattZeus Avatar

Career:14-20
Chips:
Mega Lols! Cain has destroyed everything in his path on his quest for the title, if he can maintain through JDS he's earned the #1 spot. Overeem hasn't fought top tier fighters. If he wins the SF tourney, he solidifies #2 and at that point it's Cain's to lose. Age is a big factor and Cain is only getting better for how young he is.

Now I know that everyone is gonna respond with Herschel and Couture but they are exceptions to the rule. Besides, Herschel trains at AKA with Cain, so we may see some big moves from Herschel.

I wouldn't want to piss him off, and Cain gets to roll with him on the REG

Post #9   2/5/11 7:59:15PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,509-889
Chips:
I think Strikeforce has a real entertaining division and before the new breed came in, a lot of these guys were very good, and they do have some improving talent. Most of these guys would be fine in the UFC, but I don't see the top tier all around skills or ability to dominate with one skill, outside of Overeem whose skills compliment each other quite well.

Post #10   2/6/11 12:47:37AM   

Bustamante-Aoki

Standup Guy

Bustamante-Aoki Avatar

Career:2,034-1,219
Chips:
Werdum is the linear champ.

The Strikeforce champ after the tournament should be #1 HW in the world IMO.

UFC is just a name. Cain beat Brock who was 5-1, and Nog (who is on the decline)

Fedor beat Nog in his prime twice, along with a bunch of other top-ten HW's. Fedor was the best HW in the world before Brock and Cain had their first professional fights.

Cain is number 1 because UFC has power over the mma media, and that's the only reason why. Fedors record is 10 times more impressive

Post #11   2/6/11 4:57:19AM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
....NOT!!!! Cain earned is spot on top. His boxing is exceptional. Way better than Fedor by a long shot. AO has a great set of stand up skills but if Cain wanted to take him down.........that **** would happen all day! Alistair has been protected by his K-1 career. And will never fight in the UFC because his BS "horse-meat" diet WILL!! catch up with him.

Post #12   2/6/11 10:57:54PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,550-909
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Bustamante-Aoki

Werdum is the linear champ.

The Strikeforce champ after the tournament should be #1 HW in the world IMO.

UFC is just a name. Cain beat Brock who was 5-1, and Nog (who is on the decline)

Fedor beat Nog in his prime twice, along with a bunch of other top-ten HW's. Fedor was the best HW in the world before Brock and Cain had their first professional fights.

Cain is number 1 because UFC has power over the mma media, and that's the only reason why. Fedors record is 10 times more impressive

Fedors record is more impressive but we have to be fair to Cain in saying he hasn't had that many fights yet either.That's the biggest X factor with a good margine of their top HW's now. The experince.

Post #13   2/7/11 5:31:35AM   

Bustamante-Aoki

Standup Guy

Bustamante-Aoki Avatar

Career:2,034-1,219
Chips:
To Busted:: You're entitled to your opinion, but the facts say a lot more. And rankings are supposed to be based on facts (records) not opinions.

Overeem fought Rogers in the USA and tested clean, and he' s fighting in the states again soon. Alistair doesn't want to come to the UFC because he wouldn't be able to do K-1 anymore if he did.

Cain "earned" his spot on top of the UFC. It's painfully obvious that Fedor has earned a lot more than Cain has.

Last edited 2/7/11 3:24PM server time by bustamante-AOKI

Post #14   2/7/11 3:23:43PM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:558-406
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
Ok disclaimer first: Fedor is still an extremely talented fighter! Now, that being said, the argument against Fedor has never been that he has never been good, hell most people would acknowledge that during his prime in the PRIDE years that he was by far the best fighter in the world. However, the wins against Nog literally came 7 and 8 years ago. Cain wasn't even training at the time of the fights people reference to validate Fedor's status in the division. Again, I am not saying Fedor is not good, but he has to fight better fighters if he wants to be considered in the top 5. The SF tourney will tell us a lot about how much these guys still have in the tank, but you can't ignore the fact that Fedor, Overeem, and Barnett have not fought the likes of Lesnar, JDS, Cain, Mir, or Carwin ON A REGULAR BASIS over the past 5 years. The argument at this point is apples to oranges imo as we are not likely to see how any of these guys size up against the top level UFC fighters. I'm excited about the tourney, but outside of Overeem running through everybody I don't see how it has an impact on p4p rankings.

Last edited 2/11/11 10:35PM server time by jlock003

Post #15   2/11/11 10:34:36PM