Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Driver In "Mask" Crash Gets 9 Years In Jail

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
An Orange County, Calif. man involved in a 2009 car crash that killed TapouT co-founder Charles "Mask" Lewis today was sentenced to nine years in prison. Jeffrey David Kirby, 53, was in December found guilty of one felony count of vehicular manslaughter by unlawful act with gross negligence while intoxicated. He faced sentencing enhancements for causing great bodily injury. According to a report from "OC Weekly," Superior Court Judge Richard F. Toohey heard victim-impact statements from Lewis' siblings, as well as TapouT co-founder Dan "Punkass" Caldwell and Lewis' girlfriend, Lacy Lynn White, before handing down the sentence. White was riding with Lewis in his 2004 Ferrari at the time of the accident and suffered serious injuries when she was ejected from the car. Lewis died instantly. Kirby faced a maximum of 13 years in prison. It was his second drunk-driving conviction.

Article

Post #1   2/4/11 5:59:56PM   

teddythetuna

In Full Mount

teddythetuna Avatar

Career:1,164-752
Chips:
Second conviction he should have gotten more time. Lock him up and if he gets out he walks everywhere. Someone with two convictions shouldnt be allowed to get a license anymore.

Post #2   2/4/11 6:44:07PM   

papercut

Hulk Status

papercut Avatar

Career:1,290-1,016
Chips:

Posted by teddythetuna

Second conviction he should have gotten more time. Lock him up and if he gets out he walks everywhere. Someone with two convictions shouldnt be allowed to get a license anymore.

especially when the second conviction ends in the death of another person

Post #3   2/4/11 7:05:58PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Had the charge been murder he definitely would've gotten more time, vehicular manslaughter obviously is a lesser crime in terms of the legal system.

Post #4   2/4/11 7:11:21PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,916-1,093
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Next (barring appeal) comes the civil trial. Under the right circumstances, a wrongful death suit could be gigantic considering the amount of money it could reasonably be expected that Mask would make over the rest of his life. Easily more than enough to make him bankrupt. I'd make sure that when he gets parolled a couple of years from now he starts with almost nothing.

Post #5   2/4/11 7:22:37PM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
he deserves more time.
I sure hope the civil suit leaves him with nothing but the clothes on his back and a blanket for the park bench he will (hopefully) be living under.

I lost 2 cousins to drunk drivers.
sentences like this makes me very angry, especially since it was his 2nd conviction

Last edited 2/5/11 8:23AM server time by beer
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   2/5/11 8:22:16AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,468-851
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I would estimate that Mask was partially at fault, and that was why it was not a heavier charge.

Post #7   2/5/11 10:00:26AM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,275-1,535
Chips:
Considering the guy was "street racing" a 77 Porsche I would assume he has some cash. Between his obvious wealth, any time already served and an early release for good behavior he might be out of the clink in 3 or 4 years. The guy had a prior conviction for DWI, which means he may have had many priors arrests for the same thing but they could have been lowered or even thrown out...you know how that goes. This guy apparently didn't learn or didn't care after his first conviction though and Mask is dead. The issue wasn't weather Mask was illegally street racing. If Mask would have survived the crash he would have gotten more than a few tickets himself. The bottom line is....THE GUY WAS LEGALLY DRUNK. The situation that led to his 2nd time being convicted of DWI resulted in the death of another human being. A sentence of 9 years means he will serve about half of that. Is that all Mask was worth? I think not. Some rich drunk kills a guy and will "walk" a few years later. I don't see any justice in that what so ever.

Post #8   2/5/11 2:01:05PM