Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Complaint Filed Against Timekeeper From UFC 123

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,787-1,542
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
A Michigan state agency has filed a complaint against a timekeeper, alleging he mishandled the clock at the end of a round during a UFC fight between middleweights Maiquel Falcao and Gerald Harris last year.

Stephen George Daher, a licensed timekeeper under Michigan's Unarmed Combat Commission -- formerly the state's boxing commission -- was named in a complaint brought by the Bureau of Commercial Services, a part of the state Department of Energy, Labor & Economic Growth.

The complaint alleges Daher failed to ensure the Falcao-Harris fight "was terminated in accordance with the official contest clock" at UFC 123 on Nov. 20 at the Palace of Auburn Hills. ESPN.com obtained the complaint on Tuesday following a Freedom of Information Act request.

The violation occurred at the end of the first round, according to the complaint, when Falcao appeared near completion of a choke that could have finished Harris. When Daher allegedly called an end to the round, approximately six seconds remained on the clock.

Falcao won by unanimous decision and Harris was subsequently released from his UFC contract.

The state commission will determine whether or not to take disciplinary action against Daher after the complaint advances through the contested case hearing process, where he will have the opportunity to defend the allegations.

Daher has 15 days to reply to the formal complaint, dated Jan. 13, by opting for a compliance/settlement conference or a formal administrative hearing. A conference could be scheduled in as little as two weeks, while it would take six weeks to appoint an adminstrative judge for a formal hearing.

The commission will then decide upon a penalty that could include a fine, a suspension or revocation of license...

Link

Post #1   2/2/11 12:22:33PM   

jaketheripper

Learning to Sprawl

jaketheripper Avatar

Career:353-255
Camp: RB CSF 209
Chips:
good to see people being held accountable

Post #2   2/2/11 2:12:11PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:1,991-1,229
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
how do i get licensed to be a time keeper? I'm pretty well known for being a good start/stop button pusher. I can understand numbers too.

Post #3   2/2/11 2:40:21PM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,369-1,414
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
agreed..i think i'm missin some of my license..like how to call n answer a phone..wakin up in the mornin..lol...

Post #4   2/2/11 3:04:29PM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,762-985
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I remember this. It was obvious at the time that the clock time was misjudged and even the ref looked confused for a moment before breaking the two a part.

Good call.

Post #5   2/2/11 3:36:40PM