Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Siyar Bahadurzada: I'm Not the One Being Unprofessional Here

Print  
Posted By Message

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,404-862
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Afghan-born fighter Siyar Bahadurzada may regret some of the language he used when lashing out at Strikeforce over the internet last week, but he stands by the sentiment, Bahadurzada told Ariel Helwani on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour.

Though Bahadurzada said he signed a contract to fight for Strikeforce in April of 2010, he has yet to be offered a fight with the organization, and said repeated attempts to contact Strikeforce about the situation have been ignored.

Article

Post #1   2/1/11 12:19:21PM   

Franklinfan47

Gettin Paper!

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,535-1,382
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Im surprised UFC didnt pick up Siyar. Dana always talks about breaking into the Asian markets and the Afghan assasin could be a huge star in the mid east.

Post #2   2/1/11 4:10:59PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,471-1,565
Chips:
I think they haven't picked up on him because of his nationality, not that it's a completely racially driven decision, but America is currently fighting in Afghan and I don't know how well the public would recieve Siyar. SF has no excuse really, but if this is it then I would understand a little ...... and totally sympathize with Siyar.

Post #3   2/1/11 8:11:53PM   

Franklinfan47

Gettin Paper!

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,535-1,382
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

I think they haven't picked up on him because of his nationality, not that it's a completely racially driven decision, but America is currently fighting in Afghan and I don't know how well the public would recieve Siyar. SF has no excuse really, but if this is it then I would understand a little ...... and totally sympathize with Siyar.

I see what your saying, but I meant more in the sense that Dana talked about doing a middle eastern edition ultimate fighter, another show in abu dhabi, etc, and it seems like Siyar would fit right in that demographic.

I really hope the ufc wouldnt demonize an entire nation just because of a few misguided citizens.

Post #4   2/1/11 11:39:52PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

I can't imagine that this is the case and I would sincerely hope that the UFC would not be so jingoist that they would avoid nabbing talent because of their Middle Eastern background. I would also sincerely hope that fans of the sport wouldn't be so ignorant that they would boo an individual for their nationality/race/ethnicity.

Unless the guy enters the octagon wearing extremist propaganda and calls for a jihad during his post-fight speech, I would hope that he would be afforded the same courtesy as any other fighter. The guy just wants a paycheck. He wants to display his skills.

Post #5   2/2/11 4:45:19AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,471-1,565
Chips:
I totally agree with both of you but have a lot less faith in people, especially my own. I think the UFC should become international (and hope the U.S. dominates that market! ) but think that it is much easier and profitable to start in areas already accepting and embracing the sport such as Japan, Brazil, UK, and Russia/Eastern European countries. Afghan, like much of the Middle East, is in a season of turmoil and it may just be wiser to stay out of that mess for the time being. I hope that the guy leaves SF and totally signs with the UFC, you know the UFC doesn't let their "unknowns" sit around and not fight like SF does their Champions!!

Post #6   2/2/11 11:55:05PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,404-862
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Kamal Shalorous is from Iran, not exactly a country that sees eye to eye politically with the US. The UFC is definitely not avoiding this guy because of his nationality.

Post #7   2/3/11 12:03:31AM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

Kamal Shalorous is from Iran, not exactly a country that sees eye to eye politically with the US. The UFC is definitely not avoiding this guy because of his nationality.

If anything, being from Afghanistan would help him being signed. The whole 'we're going everywhere' mentality would most likely apply in this case.

Post #8   2/4/11 7:03:52PM