Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

World Victory Road Postpones SRC 17 in Response to Media Negativity

Print  
Posted By Message

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,636-993
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Sengoku Raiden Championship promoter World Victory Road released a bizarre statement on Tuesday via their official Web site, announcing the postponement of SRC 17 due to an article written by a member of the Japanese press.

The article in question, a seven-page interview with SRC featherweight champion Hatsu Hioki written by Manabu Takashima in March's Gong Kakutougi, said that World Victory Road's end-of-year "Soul of Fight" event was poorly organized, with some fighters not signing their bout agreements until the day of the fight or even post-fight. This is not uncommon, especially in Japanese MMA, and barely deserves any attention.

Article

Post #1   2/1/11 12:15:17PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,636-993
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Sorry to re-post, didn't see it in the other category on the forum. Thought this would be front page news!

Post #2   2/1/11 12:21:54PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,857-1,759
Camp: country KO
Chips:
Things like this make me glad we have athletic commissions. I love Japanese MMA but it's terribly corrupt and poorly organised.

Last edited 2/1/11 3:13PM server time by machodog76
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   2/1/11 1:36:47PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,686-1,525
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Things just are getting worse and worse for JMMA. Part of me really would like to see Zuffa buy DREAM like the rumors say they will, but to succeed over there they have to be willing to put on freak show matches and cater to an already disinterested audience and I don't know that they'd do that. There might not be anything that can save JMMA at this point, or at least save it to the point where it remains a major sport that gets broadcast on a wide scope over there.

Post #4   2/1/11 3:12:28PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,675-1,417
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Not good news
I still think wvr and dream should team up
Instead of other organizations they need to merge into one

Post #5   2/1/11 3:46:59PM   

Franklinfan47

Simply The Best

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,693-1,472
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Things just are getting worse and worse for JMMA. Part of me really would like to see Zuffa buy DREAM like the rumors say they will, but to succeed over there they have to be willing to put on freak show matches and cater to an already disinterested audience and I don't know that they'd do that. There might not be anything that can save JMMA at this point, or at least save it to the point where it remains a major sport that gets broadcast on a wide scope over there.

Im also split.

The JMMA fan in me doesnt want ufc to take over because it'll lose that mystique and showmanship Ive come to appreciate. Only in Japan could you watch Aoki take a fight with a kickboxer and get KO'd in the mma round.

But then you hear stories like this and people not getting paid, etc, and it makes just want the whole thing to be swept away and ufc to rebuild it.

Post #6   2/1/11 4:19:01PM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:
sengoku and dream need to work together, the split is only hurting mma in japan and im not ready to see another great org like dream get sucked into zuffa, only for the asian fighters to be unfairly matched up even when they lose. then get subsequently cut from zuffa.

imo zuffa wants nothing to do with the far east yet, otherwise they would have done something to market themselves over there, or have an event there, or actually build up japanese stars like akiyama, kid, omigawa, etc. but they continue to give bisping one easy win every year and akiyama goes 1-2 in the ufc and gets marquardt a top 10, it makes no sense.

Post #7   2/1/11 4:41:08PM   

Franklinfan47

Simply The Best

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,693-1,472
Chips:

Posted by Cooler
imo zuffa wants nothing to do with the far east yet, otherwise they would have done something to market themselves over there, or have an event there, or actually build up japanese stars like akiyama, kid, omigawa, etc.

I gotta disagree. Taken a week ago:

Post #8   2/1/11 11:26:52PM