Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Dana White is Surprisingly Complimentary of Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix

Print  
Posted By Message

sclasclemski

Belt Contender

sclasclemski Avatar

Career:425-289
Camp: THE 486
Chips:
Link

Either Dana White made it his New Year's resolution this year to not attack rival promotions or he saw the figures from Saturday night's Strikeforce event -- either way, he actually compliments Scott Coker and co. and their planned heavyweight grand prix in this interview with Fighters.com.

The UFC president has remained conspicuously silent on the subject and it was somewhat surprising that neither Kevin Iole or Ariel Helwani were the first to report The Baldfather's feelings about Strikeforce's eight-man tournament.

Here's what he had to say:

FOLLOW THE LINK

Post #1   1/31/11 8:59:44PM   

Turk

Learning to Sprawl

Career:161-132
Camp: hopes and dreams
Chips:
I think that Strikeforce is coming up with some interesting matches and is strengthening their roster. I expect good things, Dana isn't blind to what is going on here, the competition will only drum up stronger interest in the sport in general.

I am excited for where it is all going.

Post #2   1/31/11 9:12:05PM   

sclasclemski

Belt Contender

sclasclemski Avatar

Career:425-289
Camp: THE 486
Chips:
I was very impressed with Strikeforce when they announced the HWGP...they need to take the opportunity to start bulding up their rosters. Strikeforce needs to take a serious effort in developing these young up and comers and "no-names" Not saying a TUF ripoff but maybe steal bellators idea and start doing more tourneys on the challenger series and profile these guys to develop interest in them,

Post #3   1/31/11 9:21:43PM   

Franklinfan47

Gettin Paper!

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,552-1,397
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Dana probably thinks he can sign the winner (aka Overeem). He's always spoke very highly of the reem and low of Fedor.

Post #4   2/1/11 9:55:09AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,115-670
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Dana's no fool, he believes like many, after the tournment happens, the winner will have no real competition after

For example, whom ever wins, has cleared out the best SF has too offer

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #5   2/1/11 1:35:04PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,320-1,237
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
There is nothing bad to say
It is a great idea

They should have one at lightweight
So there is a clear cut contender

Post #6   2/1/11 3:50:56PM   

marcoDGK

Standup Guy

marcoDGK Avatar

Career:317-259
Camp: DGK
Chips:
Is it weird that they are doing back to back events with no counter programming? I think so. I wonder if they have some kind of treaty now. It would be smart for them and great for the fans. who doesn't want to watch some good MMA every weekend for a month?

Plus, it seems like everyone wants to end up in the UFC and common fans only know of UFC. Dana can buy their top guys or put down other organizations and most people will listen anyway.

Last edited 2/1/11 6:12PM server time by marcodgk
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   2/1/11 6:10:01PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
i was watching overeems documentary online and he said that the ufc would have to come at him with alot of money to sign him cause hes really enjoying being able to fight in multiple organizations. personally i dont think overeem needs to sign with the ufc. he wants to stay way more active than one single organization can offer him. so if the ufc wants to sign somebody from this tournament they will probably go after somebody else to sign.

Post #8   2/2/11 1:21:37AM   

v1y

Learning to Sprawl

Career:1,368-719
Chips:

Posted by tcunningham

i was watching overeems documentary online and he said that the ufc would have to come at him with alot of money to sign him cause hes really enjoying being able to fight in multiple organizations. personally i dont think overeem needs to sign with the ufc. he wants to stay way more active than one single organization can offer him. so if the ufc wants to sign somebody from this tournament they will probably go after somebody else to sign.

the ufc can pay overeem way more than whatever he's making now.

Post #9   2/4/11 9:15:59AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by v1y

In the last 3 years, Overem has fought 20 times, 10 MMA matches and 10 kickboxing matches, and he's lost twice. I don't know what he's earned in that time, but it's food for thought...

Post #10   2/4/11 9:58:26AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by v1y

In the last 3 years, Overem has fought 20 times, 10 MMA matches and 10 kickboxing matches, and he's lost twice. I don't know what he's earned in that time, but it's food for thought...

Controversy aside, I respect the hell out of Overeem for the frequency he fights at.

Post #11   2/4/11 11:00:40AM