Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Troy Polamalu wins AP Defensive Player of the Year

Print  
Posted By Message

iceman69

Learning to Sprawl

iceman69 Avatar

Career:1,357-753
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
DALLAS -- Now that the voters have chosen Troy Polamalu over Clay Matthews for The Associated Press 2010 NFL Defensive Player of the Year award, the two stars can prove their worth against each other on the field.

Pittsburgh safety Polamalu received 17 votes Monday from a nationwide panel of 50 media members who cover the league, edging Green Bay linebacker Matthews by a hair -- two votes.

Article

Post #1   1/31/11 8:41:04PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,252-1,209
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Both are worthy, but as much as I hate to say it, I thought Matthews should have gotten the nod.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #2   1/31/11 8:47:00PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Yup, Clay had a slight edge over Troy IMO. Solid choice nonetheless.

Post #3   1/31/11 9:09:56PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
As a USC man, I won't complain with either choice, but I think Matthews should have gotten the nod. Polamalu was out for several games this year, but was clearly the difference maker when he was in the game. Matthews played all year.

Either way, Polamalu has never won the award so, it's okay by me.

Post #4   1/31/11 9:20:51PM   

The_Metal_Maniac

You Can't Andle My Riddum!

The_Metal_Maniac Avatar

Career:1,879-1,007
Chips:
I think Troy is very deserving of the award. Although he may have missed a few games this year, there are about four to five games in which he made the game winning play. Most notably the Ravens gave in which is sacked and stripped Flacco. The Steelers are representing the AFC in the Super Bowl, it's very easy for me to say that without Troy there was no comprehensible way in which the Steelers would had advanced. On a side note Clay is a beast and I'm sure he will eventually receive the DPOY award.

Post #5   1/31/11 10:18:32PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by The_Metal_Maniac

I think Troy is very deserving of the award. Although he may have missed a few games this year, there are about four to five games in which he made the game winning play. Most notably the Ravens gave in which is sacked and stripped Flacco. The Steelers are representing the AFC in the Super Bowl, it's very easy for me to say that without Troy there was no comprehensible way in which the Steelers would had advanced. On a side note Clay is a beast and I'm sure he will eventually receive the DPOY award.

On that same token, The Packers are representing the NFC in the Super Bowl and Clay Matthews is part of the reason they are there. He made several game changers as well.

Both defenses are 1 and 2. Both players were impact players. Both players lead their teams to the Super Bowl. Matthews just played more games.

Really, I don't think anyone would have bitched either way. These are two studs. Polamalu had never won the award before and you could say he's deserved it a couple different times.

The real winners here are USC and hair care products.

Last edited 1/31/11 10:25PM server time by blueskiesburn
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   1/31/11 10:24:28PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:
anyone else not on the Matthews train? Hes a good blitzer, but he is below average in coverage and he bounces off of big bruiser backs... He is young and im sure he will adjust and be a great olb but if the pack wasnt in the superbowl he wouldnt be mentioned

1. Troy Polamalu
2. Julius Peppers
3.James Harrison/ Haloti Ngata
5.Clay Matthews

Last edited 2/1/11 12:39AM server time by mkiv9secsupra
2 total post edits

Post #7   2/1/11 12:36:23AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Post #8   2/1/11 5:51:02AM   

The_Metal_Maniac

You Can't Andle My Riddum!

The_Metal_Maniac Avatar

Career:1,879-1,007
Chips:

Lol. I'm a die hard Steelers fan and have had to watch them play the Ravens countless times over the last four seasons, including the playoffs. I can whole heartedly tell you Haloti Ngata is a monster. The man is underrated in my opinion and I look forward to the day he leaves the AFC North or retires lol.

Last edited 2/1/11 9:02AM server time by the_metal_maniac

Post #9   2/1/11 7:18:28AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,522-1,450
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

anyone else not on the Matthews train? Hes a good blitzer, but he is below average in coverage and he bounces off of big bruiser backs... He is young and im sure he will adjust and be a great olb but if the pack wasnt in the superbowl he wouldnt be mentioned

1. Troy Polamalu
2. Julius Peppers
3.James Harrison/ Haloti Ngata
5.Clay Matthews

Clay was being mentioned as the defensive MVP about 4 games into the season, so it's not like the super bowl had that big of an effect on things. He doesn't really drop into coverage often so whether or not he can cover is still kind of a mystery. He's there to get after the QB and he does a great job of that, no one was asking LT to drop into coverage when he was the best in the league and no one discredited his cover skills. It wasn't his game, and it's not Clay's either. As far as bouncing off backs goes, I think you need to watch the guy play a little more, he is a pretty damn sure tackler and I haven't seen him bounce off anyone all year.

EDIT: I'm fine with Troy getting it, he's a game changer and that defense is worlds better with him in there. Either guy was deserving.

Last edited 2/1/11 9:58AM server time by cowcatcher
2 total post edits

Post #10   2/1/11 9:51:57AM