Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Despite quick UFN 23 win, DaMarques Johnson not celebrating

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,722-963
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
DaMarques Johnson (12-8 MMA, 3-2 UFC) says the body triangle he applied to Mike Guymon (12-5-1 MMA, 1-3 UFC) was simply a tool for freeing his hand so he could punch with it.

But when Guymon tapped to the hold and rolled onto his side in pain, Johnson was both surprised and disappointed. He didn't expect the fight the end that way, and he wanted to fight on. It just happened so fast.

He's also bummed that he hurt Guymon on his way to victory.

"Bumps and bruises and blood is cool and all, but spinal injuries and stuff like that are 'no bueno' for anybody in the sport," Johnson recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio).

The two fought this past Saturday at "UFC Fight Night 23: UFC Fight for the Troops 2," which was held at Fort Hood in Texas and served as a fundraiser for the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund.

LINK

Post #1   1/26/11 3:54:22PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I really don't understand his reaction. Is submission from a bodylock somehow worse than submission from an armbar, kimura, or RNC? I'm really baffled that he lamented his win after the fight. He should be ecstatic that he finished someone with a move that virtually no one is ever finished with. I really don't understand. I understand not wanting to injure your opponent, but he didn't know if guymon was injured the instant he tapped.

To me it seemed like he was disappointed that he didn't get to beat guymon up for his win, which seems pretty contradictory to being upset that he was injured.

Post #2   1/26/11 6:01:24PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,491-903
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
It's always great to get a win, but in a situation like that, that sucks. This is one of the reason's I like the UFC, the guys are out to put on a great show. They want fireworks in the cage as much as the fans, but no one wants to see anyone get crippled.

I love seeing people get beat down something fierce, because even the most hard core ass whooping you can recover from. A spinal injury is something no one really wants to see.... Well depending on who is in the cage, lol

And I think that is what Johnson was getting at in the article. You can cut someone, lump em up, knock em out, whatever, they will be better in a couple days, weeks, or whatever. But a Corey Hill type leg break, or a Nate Quarry/ Sean Salmon neck injury.... Wanting to knock out your opponent is way different than wanting to break their spine.

Last edited 1/26/11 6:10PM server time by PMONEY
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   1/26/11 6:07:53PM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,722-963
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Aether

I really don't understand his reaction. Is submission from a bodylock somehow worse than submission from an armbar, kimura, or RNC? I'm really baffled that he lamented his win after the fight. He should be ecstatic that he finished someone with a move that virtually no one is ever finished with. I really don't understand. I understand not wanting to injure your opponent, but he didn't know if guymon was injured the instant he tapped.

To me it seemed like he was disappointed that he didn't get to beat guymon up for his win, which seems pretty contradictory to being upset that he was injured.

Johnson didn't mean to finish him. That's what he's saying, the bodylock was meant to keep a hold on the Guymon so he could land some punches, but Guymon was somehow injured and the bodylock made it worse so he tapped. Johnson didn't want to win due to Guymon sustaining an injury.

Post #4   1/26/11 7:59:31PM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,071-844
Chips:

Posted by Aether

:
u dont understand!

there is a difference btw hurting someone, beating someone up and injurying somenoe. most people dnt go out and want to injure the person they are fighting injuries such as breaking an arm, leg, neck, tearing a muscle etc.... much different then hurting someone by beating them up....

he is saying he wanted to hit Guymon thats what he was trying to do, and he is upset that #1 he injured him, and #2 that he injured him with a move that wasnt intended to even hurt him was intended to allow him to beat him up....

Post #5   1/26/11 10:01:12PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by tmas

Posted by Aether

:
u dont understand!

there is a difference btw hurting someone, beating someone up and injurying somenoe. most people dnt go out and want to injure the person they are fighting injuries such as breaking an arm, leg, neck, tearing a muscle etc.... much different then hurting someone by beating them up....

he is saying he wanted to hit Guymon thats what he was trying to do, and he is upset that #1 he injured him, and #2 that he injured him with a move that wasnt intended to even hurt him was intended to allow him to beat him up....

I think actually you don't understand, because I addressed everything that you just said in the initial post.

Notice this sentence:

"I understand not wanting to injure your opponent, but he didn't know if guymon was injured the instant he tapped."

Which basically addresses everything you wrote in your post. Johnson was expressing his displeasure before he even got off of Guymon's back. He expressed agitation toward the ref as he waved the fight off, not remorse for having hurt his opponent. This is the "reaction" I'm referring to, otherwise I would've said I don't understand what he's saying in the article. Everyone is going to say the right things days later in an interview with prepared statements, I'm talking about his immediate reaction at the end of the fight. It was very clearly not concern for injuring his opponent.

I'm trying to be as diplomatic as possible, but the truth is that I really don't want to engage in further conversation with you because I've seen many of your posts and I don't believe you actually take the time to read the posts that you're responding to, which makes any kind of real conversation both impossible and incredibly frustrating for the other person. I think maybe you read the first 1 or 2 sentences of what I wrote and rushed immediately to the "quote" button. You don't really ever try to have a discussion, you make assertions and declare opinions as facts, usually quite condescendingly.

Post #6   1/26/11 11:07:44PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:1,976-1,224
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
what was the injury diagnosis to guymon?

Post #7   1/27/11 11:57:43AM