Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Fedor Emelianenko Will Not Win The Strikeforce HWGP Tournament

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,600-1,486
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I totally see your point, although I think I put more stock in his recent wins than you do. I guess I have a list of fighters in my head that break down into A, B, C, & D level, and maybe you don't have quite as many categories for them. I think beating Buentello, especially a couple years ago, is a pretty good win. I think beating Duffee and Rogers are both good wins over guys that are part of the future of the HW division, they both are pretty damn green, but have loads of potential, and the power to win fights against guys they "shouldn't" beat. The wins over Thompson, Fujita, Hunt, and the dismantling of my beloved CC before the nut shots were all fights he should have won, but because they were against grizzled vets, they figured to be tougher than he made them look IMO.

Beating K-1 fighters at their own game coming from an mma background(although he trains at a world class K-1 gym) is something that's extremely impressive to me. I wrestled for many years and ended up at a BJJ gym later in life and was overwhelmed by how bad I was compared to the high level guys there at first. I thought I could at least hang with them, by getting TD's and sitting on top. The two styles are different, but have similarities, and even though I was a state qualifier in wrestling throughout HS and wrestled at the badger state games as an adult, I got my ass whooped in JJ pretty regularly for awhile. To be able to cross over so seamlessly and dominate the way he has blows my mind having done something similar, although clearly not even close to the same level as he is competing at.

I still would like to see you make a concrete statement about who you are picking though, you named half the field as "could win". Come on Josh, who ya got!?

Post #31   1/26/11 4:23:22PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
I can't pick one person. I've never seen Overeem fight guys like these. Barnett hasn't been fighting top competition either. Werdum is riding an emotional high & Fedor just got beat.

I cannot pick anyone. How about Beltran?

Post #32   1/26/11 4:49:18PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I can't pick one person. I've never seen Overeem fight guys like these. Barnett hasn't been fighting top competition either. Werdum is riding an emotional high & Fedor just got beat.

You're an opinionated guy but I can't get you to pick a winner in the biggest HW tourney in MMA history(WAMMA is a close second)??? I'm deleting any "told you so" posts about the winners of the fights that you make man.

Atychiphobia

Last edited 1/26/11 5:02PM server time by cowcatcher
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #33   1/26/11 4:57:43PM   

BigCountryFedor

Banned for Cheating

BigCountryFedor Avatar

Career:653-352
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

But you've seen Overeem get KO'd by HW's and LHW's. so go with that...

Last edited 1/26/11 5:08PM server time by bigcountryfedor
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #34   1/26/11 5:07:21PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

You're an opinionated guy but I can't get you to pick a winner in the biggest HW tourney in MMA history(WAMMA is a close second)??? I'm deleting any "told you so" posts about the winners of the fights that you make man.

Atychiphobia

Fine, you pushy c*cksucker

I'd be inclined to take Barnett. Rogers should be a fairly easy win for him based off his grappling and submission skills. I'm thinking that Arlovski beats Kharitonov just based on being a more active fighter lately. Then again, Kharitonov did KO Overeem, but that was back in '06. I think Barnett has the easier time to the finals and is the fresher fighter once the finals begins.

Of course, after all is said and done, Barnett will once again test positive for something and none of this will matter.

Post #35   1/26/11 6:39:17PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Chips:
I could see that scenario playing out, failed test and all.

Post #36   1/26/11 7:11:55PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,479-856
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I think Barnett rides out a decision against Overeem and matches up with everybody else at least even, and that makes him my favorite to win it all.

Post #37   1/26/11 8:09:55PM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3