Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Paul Daley Could Lose SF Title Shot With 2/26 BAMMA Loss

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Right now, Paul Daley is Strikeforce's contender-in-waiting and will get a title shot against the winner of Saturday's championship fight between welterweight titleholder Nick Diaz and challenger Evangelista Santos. But Daley could lose that title shot if he suffers a loss on Feb. 26. That's when Daley fights Yuya Shirai for a vacant welterweight belt at BAMMA 5, an event that takes place in his native U.K. During a media call today, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker was asked about that fight. While the organization allows some fighters to sign non-exclusive deals and compete in outside organizations, that fight could affect Daley's future in Strikeforce. Coker said a win at the BAMMA show will keep Daley next in line for the title shot. And a loss? "The deck gets reshuffled," he said.

Article

Post #1   1/24/11 4:22:57PM   

Makaveli158

Learning to Sprawl

Makaveli158 Avatar

Career:387-311
Camp: /r/mma
Chips:
I was wondering about this earlier today, and I figured Daley would lose his shot with a loss. However, win or not, I'd like to see Daley vs Diaz. On one hand Daley, who is an excellent and exciting fighter wins and is at the top where he should be.

On the other hand, This is a great opportunity for Diaz. Daley would be Nicks toughest competition perhaps in his career and a win over Daley would justify Diazs top 10 welterweight ranking. It would also help gauge Diazs striking skills. Diaz fans, like me, claim that he has some of the best striking in MMA at welterweight but many people understandably object to that. I think Diaz can easily win this fight on the ground, but knowing Diaz he is going to want to outstrike the striker. For Diaz to outstrike Daley, whose striking is solidly proven, would be fantastic.

Still, a very dangerous fight for Diaz. KO or TKO loss would be very possible vs Daley...I would hate to see Diaz have a standing war with Daley and lose - when he could sub Daley with his jitsu in a heartbeat.

Post #2   1/24/11 7:20:03PM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,709-955
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
If he does lose, I think it would be a bad move to not allow him to fight for the title. If they aren't careful they will run out of solid title contenders, and I think Diaz vs. Daley would be one of the more interesting match-ups.

Post #3   1/24/11 7:44:27PM   

mattjonesy

Standup Guy

mattjonesy Avatar

Career:2,112-1,324
Chips:
I would still give him the title shot, we dont get strikeforce over here anyways so I dont think it would make the slightest bit of difference.
Will you get Bamma over there though? If not just show his KO over Smith and there shouldnt be any problems. ( I doubt he will lose anyway)

Post #4   1/24/11 8:25:17PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,475-898
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Diaz-Daley would be a crazy fight, I agree that it could be Nick's toughest fight yet. Daley has scary power in his hands, whereas Diaz is a more technical boxer, throwing combinations with less power.

Daley could knock anyone out, but he would have to deal with the range of Diaz and of course Diaz's ground superiority...

Having said all that... as an obvious Diaz fan, and self-admitted Daley hater, I see Diaz beating Cyborg and Daley and continuing to be the man

Post #5   1/24/11 10:23:22PM   

BigCountryFedor

Banned for Cheating

BigCountryFedor Avatar

Career:653-352
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

Diaz-Daley would be a crazy fight, I agree that it could be Nick's toughest fight yet. Daley has scary power in his hands, whereas Diaz is a more technical boxer, throwing combinations with less power.

Daley could knock anyone out, but he would have to deal with the range of Diaz and of course Diaz's ground superiority...

Having said all that... as an obvious Diaz fan, and self-admitted Daley hater, I see Diaz beating Cyborg and Daley and continuing to be the man

and let's not forget nick thompson was able to outstrike daley...

Post #6   1/25/11 3:23:18AM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

???

So only people who lose IN Strikeforce get a title shot in their next fight. Gotcha.

Post #7   1/25/11 8:55:16AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by mattjonesy

I would still give him the title shot, we dont get strikeforce over here anyways so I dont think it would make the slightest bit of difference.
Will you get Bamma over there though? If not just show his KO over Smith and there shouldnt be any problems. ( I doubt he will lose anyway)

Strikeforce is usually shown on Bravo the day after its been on in the US.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #8   1/25/11 1:12:52PM   

mattjonesy

Standup Guy

mattjonesy Avatar

Career:2,112-1,324
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

Posted by mattjonesy

Strikeforce is usually shown on Bravo the day after its been on in the US.

Yeh they used to, I thought Bravo closed down?

Post #9   1/25/11 6:38:24PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
Since when did Strikeforce STOP giving title shots after a loss? I thought a loss would guarantee him a title shot.

Post #10   1/26/11 2:06:15AM