Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 74: Randy Couture vs. Gabriel Gonzaga

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

DNor

MMA Regular

DNor Avatar

Career:92-62
Chips:
Well, to me this fight could be a good one.
Randy Couture is arguably the face of UFC and has been getting great media exposure to the common fan. It reminds me on ESPN how Chuck Lidell was the face of UFC and him getting much media attention while the experienced but not too well known Rampage Jackson was not getting any love. Gonzaga is a good fighter who is not a real well known fighter to the common fan. Im not sure if Gonzaga's win was valid enough to call him one of the best however. Remember, Cro Cop refused to practice in the cage while training for this fight. Cro Cop was technically more experienced all around, but in the cage Gonzaga was definately more experienced. You take a strong BJJ fighter, (I believe Gonzaga is a Black belt in BJJ) with cage experience against a person who is not that good on the ground with NO cage experience and that is how it usually works.
Back to Couture v. Gonzaga.
I just think that with all this media attention, movie roles, etc... that Couture has had is definately a destraction for him. Even if it is the smallest of distractions, it is still a distraction. While Gonzaga is not really being builded up, still by some people to be a "no-name" fighter, but does have a good BJJ and GnP skills.
I give Gonzaga a 67% chance to win, I think he could either win by Submission or Decision while I think Couture's chance would only be by decision.

Post #16   8/2/07 12:08:32AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I don't think you can ever really count ANY fighter out of any fight honestly. Especially not someone of Randy's calibre. I'm having a hard time calling this fight personally, but I think that Gonzaga is the exact kind of fighter that has given Randy the most trouble in the past. Very large grapplers have been known to have the most success against Captain America... Ricco and Barnett (even though he was on roids... it's debatable just how much of a difference that would have made.) both have very similar styles to Gonzaga. I've got to pick Gabe on this one, but like everyone says, it's pretty hard to pick against Randy seeing the things he's done in the past.

Post #17   8/2/07 2:17:13AM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:
i really wanna say that ganzaga is gonna take this one.. althought i'm a courture fan

Post #18   8/2/07 6:40:46PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2