Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Josh Barnett out to take states by storm

Print  
Posted By Message

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,534-933
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
While Strikeforce was in the process of putting together its heavyweight tournament, some high-profile participants requested specific opponents. No one requested a fight with Josh Barnett.

It wasn't that the higher-profile fighters -- including Fedor Emelianenko and Alistair Overeem -- sought to avoid him. In their minds, they simply had bigger fish to fry.

Emelianenko will take on Antonio Silva on Feb. 12 in Newark, N.J. Overeem is slated to face Fabricio Werdum on a date that has yet to be determined.

When the brackets were finalized, Barnett found himself in the less appealing group. That he isn't in the same group with Emelianenko, Overeem and Werdum reveals how much Barnett's star has dimmed.

Article

Post #1   1/13/11 10:53:04PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,474-877
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
Barnett is the most unsettling of piece of the Strikeforce HW tourney puzzle.

I think Strikeforce wants an Overeem/Emelianenko final (as I do), and Barnett has the best chance to keep that from happening IMO.

Post #2   1/13/11 11:06:42PM   

landstander

MMA Regular

landstander Avatar

Career:51-32
Chips:

Posted by State_Champ

Barnett is the most unsettling of piece of the Strikeforce HW tourney puzzle.

I think Strikeforce wants an Overeem/Emelianenko final (as I do), and Barnett has the best chance to keep that from happening IMO.

Chances are one of those two will probably pull out of the tournament before the end. The are sooooo many other things that could stop them from getting to the final. The most unsettling thing atm is that only half the fighters have signed contracts to fight in it.

The opening of the article doesn't make sense to me. How is barnett in a less appealing group than Emelianenko, Overeem and Werdum? they are all in the same tournament. And no higher-profile fighters ie. favourites to win, would requested to fight Barnett because he is also a favourite to win and you don't match up all the favourites against each other in the first round. There is one exception overeem vs werdum.

I think if Overeem beats werdum he will pull out of the tournament and at the next opportunity sign with the ufc as the strikeforce champ and the guy who beat the guy who beat fedor.

Post #3   1/14/11 4:41:43AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
It is literally impossible for Overeem and Fedor to meet int he final. the way the brackets are aligned, they will fight in the Semis if they both win their first fights against Werdum and Big foot, respectively.

also, it is highly unlikely that Overeem will pull out of the tournament to sign with someone else; especially not the UFC. Overeem loves to fight in Japan and likes to compete in K-1, where he is the Grand Prix Champion, which he won't be able to do if he fought in the UFC. not to mention that he would most likely be taking a pay cut to fight in the UFC.

Last edited 1/14/11 1:21PM server time by jiujitsufreak74
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   1/14/11 1:18:48PM   

landstander

MMA Regular

landstander Avatar

Career:51-32
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

It is literally impossible for Overeem and Fedor to meet int he final. the way the brackets are aligned, they will fight in the Semis if they both win their first fights against Werdum and Big foot, respectively.

also, it is highly unlikely that Overeem will pull out of the tournament to sign with someone else; especially not the UFC. Overeem loves to fight in Japan and likes to compete in K-1, where he is the Grand Prix Champion, which he won't be able to do if he fought in the UFC. not to mention that he would most likely be taking a pay cut to fight in the UFC.

Do you have an official link to the brackets you are talking about? The article didn't have anything drawn up and I went to the strikeforce home page but couldn't find any layout. all I know is that on beatdown scott coker was interviewed and he said that only the four guys had actually signed for the tournament.

dana said he would like overeem in the ufc and i would say the ufc has deep enough pockets to get him, especially if it will screw up the plans of their competition.

Post #5   1/14/11 7:16:31PM