Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Barnett: UFC champ Velasquez is good, but Strikeforce tourney winner better

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,709-955
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Everyone and his brother has weighed in on who's the world's best MMA heavyweight, and given Strikeforce's upcoming and star-studded heavyweight grand prix, the debate won't stop anytime soon.

Josh Barnett, an entrant in the tourney, understandably thinks the world's No. 1 heavyweight will be the Strikeforce grand-prix winner.

But that's no shot at UFC champ Cain Velasquez, Barnett recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio).

In fact, Barnett has nothing but respect for Velasquez, who's rehabbing a shoulder he injured in an October title win over then-champ Brock Lesnar. Barnett admires how Velasquez has blended his new striking skills with his wrestling foundation during an undefeated career, and he doesn't question the champ's toughness.

LINK

Post #1   1/11/11 12:36:39PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Velasquez would beat everyone in the tournament IMO though. The winner will have a strong case because of what they accomplished in winning it but if they ever met Cain I think anyone would get taken out by him.

Post #2   1/11/11 2:51:40PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,475-856
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
The one merit you can claim on behalf of the SF HW division that the UFC cannot be given is the experince. Guys like JDS,Carwin,Brock,Cain,etc barley have fights in the double digits.
Now experince certainly comes with wear N tear and that can't always be given as a defenitive plus but it certainly accounts for something.

Post #3   1/11/11 3:40:00PM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:1,996-1,112
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
BAHAHAHAHHAHA come on barnett

I pick Cain vs any of those fighters any day of the week winning in which ever way he wants. I think barnett should shut it until he proves to the mma fans he can win A RECENT SIGNIFICANT bout. Ridiculous he would just think of saying that. BOOOOOOO BABY FACE

Post #4   1/11/11 5:03:01PM   

Khaos

TUF 2 Alternate

Khaos Avatar

Career:2,436-1,788
Camp: Men of the hour
Chips:
I agree with Barnett here. I will make one thing clear though, Barnett won't win the tourney. Cain is skilled, but based on UFC HW's and some of the SF HW tourney's HW I would have to say the win becomes the top HW. I think Wrdum, Overeem, and Fedor would give Cain hard fights.

Post #5   1/11/11 6:30:31PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
AS much as it pains me to do so. I kinda side with Barney here. It is so close though it is a mute point. I wont say the none of them will, but most of these guys will never fight in the UFC(again). I wish SF was "BIG" enough to kinda force a merger of the belts. But as they stand now.......NO WAY IN F@%$ING HELL would that happen.

Post #6   1/11/11 8:49:26PM   

casketcoin

Standup Guy

casketcoin Avatar

Career:2,177-1,441
Camp: Fight Ducker
Chips:
basically saying cane is better than seven guys in the tournament

Post #7   1/11/11 10:56:36PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,223-863
Chips:

Posted by casketcoin

basically saying cane is better than seven guys in the tournament

but which 7? guess we'll have to watch the tourney and find out!

Post #8   1/11/11 11:59:55PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,860-1,034
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
If Velasquez was in this tournament, i wouldn't pick him to win it.

Post #9   1/12/11 1:37:28AM   

BigCountryFedor

Banned for Cheating

BigCountryFedor Avatar

Career:653-352
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:
Cain is top 3 and all but I doubt he can beat Fedor or Overeem.

Post #10   1/12/11 2:57:44AM   

landstander

MMA Regular

landstander Avatar

Career:51-32
Chips:
I don't think Cain has done anything yet to merit the hype he is getting. He has a massive amount of potential but many many many fighters with potential come and go. He hasn't lost yet but he has only had 9 pro fights. he has finished 8 of them but had trouble when he fought a good striker(congo). his fight with congo raises a lot of questions about him fighting top strikers. cut and pasted the opening sentence to the 3 rounds of the congo fight from sherdog pbp to emphasise my point.
Round 1
Kongo uses his jab to set up two right hands that rock Velasquez’s world.

Round 2
Kongo again hurts Velasquez with a right hand to start a round. Velasquez clears the cobwebs and gets a takedown after Kongo unexplainably went for a single on the hurt fighter

Round 3
Kongo blasts Velasquez again with a right hand. Velasquez’s eyes roll but his chin is phenomenal.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/UFC-99-Play-by-Play-17941

I'll also add that cain absolutely dominated the fight with congo but he has holes in his game like most fighters that have only fought 9 times.
He has a lot of skills and is always improving, but I need to see him fight another good striker before I would back him against the top 3 in the tournament. Also I think Carwin is going to knock him out.

Post #11   1/12/11 8:52:21AM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

If Velasquez was in this tournament, i wouldn't pick him to win it.

I would.

Post #12   1/12/11 1:37:55PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,475-856
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by landstander

I don't think Cain has done anything yet to merit the hype he is getting. He has a massive amount of potential but many many many fighters with potential come and go. He hasn't lost yet but he has only had 9 pro fights. he has finished 8 of them but had trouble when he fought a good striker(congo). his fight with congo raises a lot of questions about him fighting top strikers. cut and pasted the opening sentence to the 3 rounds of the congo fight from sherdog pbp to emphasise my point.
Round 1
Kongo uses his jab to set up two right hands that rock Velasquez’s world.

Round 2
Kongo again hurts Velasquez with a right hand to start a round. Velasquez clears the cobwebs and gets a takedown after Kongo unexplainably went for a single on the hurt fighter

Round 3
Kongo blasts Velasquez again with a right hand. Velasquez’s eyes roll but his chin is phenomenal.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/UFC-99-Play-by-Play-17941

I'll also add that cain absolutely dominated the fight with congo but he has holes in his game like most fighters that have only fought 9 times.
He has a lot of skills and is always improving, but I need to see him fight another good striker before I would back him against the top 3 in the tournament. Also I think Carwin is going to knock him out.

That's pretty much where i'm at.
Like most in the UFC's HW division he's got phenominal skills but I think a fighter takes time to really develop and their are certain fights you have to have before you can solidify yourself. Example, Carwin needed a fight like JDS did against Big country before he took on Brock.

Post #13   1/12/11 3:24:59PM   

hate4thestate

In Full Mount

hate4thestate Avatar

Career:1,302-831
Camp: JTV All-Stars
Chips:
Whoever wins the tourney he should be the #1 HW in the world. If you dont think they should YOU KNOW NOTHINGS!

Post #14   1/12/11 3:51:57PM