Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Did Strikeforce Drop The Ball With Their Challengers Show On Showtime Free Preview Weekend?

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
In a recent post on his blog, veteran WWE announcer Jim Ross thinks so. "The Strikeforce broadcast produced by Showtime Friday night was embarrassingly mediocre. This statement is not a reflection on fighters phoning it in or the announcing soiling the bed. The fighters fought hard but none of them were household names and really needed pre-produced, personality profiles and more info on who they are from the announcers to let casual fans 'in' the process so that we could care more about the fights and the overall broadcast. On a free preview night on Showtime, the network really dropped the ball in making the fighters human as well as apparently forgetting that Showtime was going to have a much ballyhooed heavyweight tournament in 2011 on which they seem to be hanging their hat."

Article

Post #1   1/8/11 4:41:29PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by DCRage

In a recent post on his blog, veteran WWE announcer Jim Ross thinks so. "The Strikeforce broadcast produced by Showtime Friday night was embarrassingly mediocre. This statement is not a reflection on fighters phoning it in or the announcing soiling the bed. The fighters fought hard but none of them were household names and really needed pre-produced, personality profiles and more info on who they are from the announcers to let casual fans 'in' the process so that we could care more about the fights and the overall broadcast. On a free preview night on Showtime, the network really dropped the ball in making the fighters human as well as apparently forgetting that Showtime was going to have a much ballyhooed heavyweight tournament in 2011 on which they seem to be hanging their hat."

Article

I agree with good 'ole JR

Post #2   1/8/11 6:21:58PM   

Bloodhound

Standup Guy

Bloodhound Avatar

Career:1,054-599
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen
I agree with good 'ole JR

lol JR, i thought this was a joke at first when i saw wwe commentator Jim Riss.

Post #3   1/8/11 7:30:03PM   

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I honestly thought it was decent. I was entertained. Strikeforce Challengers is like UFC's Fight Night, it's not supposed to be stacked.

Post #4   1/8/11 11:00:38PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:

It's a Challengers Series, so it's not going to have a bunch of household names, it's for upcoming stars. Basically dissed the fighters on that card.

Why didnt anyone even ask JR? JR FAIL

Post #5   1/8/11 11:16:32PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:519-361
Chips:
with woodley, OSP, and cormier (spelling?) the card looked to be pretty decent. i though it was still good. besides, its MMA, you never know what the outcome of the fights are gonna be. how many times has there been an awesome sounding UFC card that turned out to be kinda lame.

Post #6   1/8/11 11:36:20PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:
challengers is a show for upcoming fighters. JR need to stick to fantasy land and keep his nose out of the real sports.

I didnt watch the event because my cable company didnt give me the free weekend.

Post #7   1/9/11 1:02:31AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

It's a Challengers Series, so it's not going to have a bunch of household names, it's for upcoming stars. Basically dissed the fighters on that card.

Why didnt anyone even ask JR? JR FAIL

JR is an avid fan and writer for MMA these days

Post #8   1/9/11 2:21:32AM   

Drudinh

MMA Sensei

Drudinh Avatar

Career:1,630-1,072
Chips:

Posted by RearNakedJoke

challengers is a show for upcoming fighters. JR need to stick to fantasy land and keep his nose out of the real sports.

I didnt watch the event because my cable company didnt give me the free weekend.

I was pumped because I heard free fights and I jumped. It was very dissapointing because they were not free for me as well.
For strickeforce to win me back they better give me Fedor for free otherwise it is nothing but free streams here on out for me.

Post #9   1/9/11 7:49:04AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Hardcore fans will check out the fights. Casual fans will come back because of the fights and the personalities. This was a nice gesture by Showtime that unfortunately was still too conservative. If they want more of that sweet MMA money, they need to take some risks.

Post #10   1/9/11 9:48:58AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:

Posted by RearNakedJoke

He's a lot more than just a WWE commentator. He does a lot of behind-the-scenes work with the company, used to be in corporate, and is an entrepreneur outside the business as well. I hear he makes wuite the BBQ sauce. And to some in the south's chagrin, he's a loyal Boomer Sooner.

Post #11   1/9/11 11:23:50AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
If JR is an mma fan, he should know this wasnt a big SF card unless he is trying to say they should have put their big card on this weekend with their stars.

Post #12   1/9/11 1:39:47PM