Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Do PRIDE Rules Make Fights More Exciting To Watch?

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Strikeforce's Nick Diaz thinks so. "That's why I like dealing with Pride rules. I thought that there would be an organization that has that type of scoring criteria. I thought that show would stick around; I'd probably be fighting for them right now. But that whole thing went under. They kind of want to do away with that whole way of fighting, even though it's been around for a long time. The restarts and the old Pride rules, it's better. The yellow card (if) you stall. You can't stall. You have to fight. You can't elbow. You have to punch. It takes a lot of space. A guy on the bottom wants to get up, he gets up because you're making space to punch. It makes for a more technical aspect to come out. It makes more for more transition and movement to happen. It's more exciting to watch and it makes for the better fighter to win. The way that things are going now, you don't (always) see the better fighter win. They play a game to win."

Article

Post #1   1/7/11 8:13:45PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,539-904
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I never thought of that aspect of having no elbows. That allowed Fedor to get several come from behind victories.

Post #2   1/7/11 8:33:04PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
My answer is no...though I do wish they would allow foot stomps.

Post #3   1/7/11 10:13:10PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I miss Pride Rules and I've always been vocal about that for many reasons. Not the least of which are some of the things Diaz is saying here. I don't mind elbows but in all honest I wouldn't mind seeing them eliminated from the ground. I think in the clinch against the cage they're good, but on the ground I could deal without them easily.

Post #4   1/7/11 10:15:59PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

I miss Pride Rules and I've always been vocal about that for many reasons. Not the least of which are some of the things Diaz is saying here. I don't mind elbows but in all honest I wouldn't mind seeing them eliminated from the ground. I think in the clinch against the cage they're good, but on the ground I could deal without them easily.

Myself, I love elbows on the ground, without it, gnp just wouldn't be the same.

Post #5   1/7/11 10:59:01PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by Jackelope

exactly. if you thought there was a lot of lnp now, just wait until they eliminate elbows

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #6   1/7/11 11:50:17PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by Jackelope

exactly. if you thought there was a lot of lnp now, just wait until they eliminate elbows

That's Diaz's whole point. If they eliminated elbows then the LnP would go away because guys would actually have to posture up to strike. Otherwise they'd be called out for stalling.

He is also incredibly right about the space problems associated with elbows being allowed. But I'm a big fan of Jiu Jitsu, so of course I'm going to side with him in that kind of an argument

Post #7   1/8/11 12:05:56AM   

RustyRedWood206

Learning to Sprawl

Career:11-7
Chips:
The yellow card...... in the UFC?..... a man can dream.

Post #8   1/8/11 1:28:08AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,622-990
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Do Pride rules make fights more exciting to watch?

HELL YES!

If the UFC had 10-minute first rounds, Gray Maynard would probably be the champ right now, and I guarantee there would be about 10% of fights would go to decision.

And the affect soccer kicks and stomps would have in fights would be huge.

We need these rules, now!

Post #9   1/8/11 12:13:39PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,810-1,780
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I think it depends on the fighters.....they make fights exciting. I have seen stinkers in all orgs....across the board and regardless of rules.....now IMO the rules need to be mixed and solidified....I like the cards knees and elbows to the grounded opponent....the only one from either org I dont like is the old soccer kick and face stomp....that's just me though.

Post #10   1/8/11 4:43:50PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,566-924
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by Jackelope

That's Diaz's whole point. If they eliminated elbows then the LnP would go away because guys would actually have to posture up to strike. Otherwise they'd be called out for stalling.

He is also incredibly right about the space problems associated with elbows being allowed. But I'm a big fan of Jiu Jitsu, so of course I'm going to side with him in that kind of an argument

Bingo!
These are the same points Bas has brought up in the past as well.

Post #11   1/8/11 7:54:52PM   

BigCountryFedor

Banned for Cheating

BigCountryFedor Avatar

Career:653-352
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:
Yes, a thousand times yes.

Post #12   1/8/11 8:06:42PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:540-380
Chips:
Bas rutten had a good point about elbows. he said that they cause cuts and no body likes a fight stopped by a cut. i personally dont mind elbows however if they traded elbows for stomps, knees and kicks to downed opponents i could definitely due without them. Diaz did make a good point that i hadnt really thought about before.

Post #13   1/8/11 11:20:10PM   

ShOgUnWANDerlei

Learning to Sprawl

ShOgUnWANDerlei Avatar

Career:115-93
Chips:
Yes without a doubt! Laying & preying won't win you the fight, and with yellow cards given for stalling among other things eliminates "boring" fights, for the most part. Also with better rules such as soccer kicks, stomps, and knees to down opponent brings more action & excitement!

Post #14   4/5/12 9:13:24PM   

ShOgUnWANDerlei

Learning to Sprawl

ShOgUnWANDerlei Avatar

Career:115-93
Chips:
Foot stomps are allowed lol its stomps to the head that's banned

Post #15   4/5/12 9:15:05PM