Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Tournament Coming up(need to drop a few pounds)

Print  
Posted By Message

Taylor8766

Belt Contender

Taylor8766 Avatar

Career:740-512
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
Hey guys I got my first Judo tournament coming up on Feb. 6 and im really estatic about this, it will be my first time competing in anything related to mma. The reason Im posting this is I need to drop some pounds right now I weigh 225lbs, I know that I said I was going to lose weight before but ended up putting on some muscle and doing more weight lifting than cardio, and now I need to get below 220lbs to compete in the 100kg category so Im not against 6'5 guys who weight 260. I would personally like to get down to 198lbs which is the 90kg category.

If there are any tips, pointers or advice that you can give me please do, props to anyone who helps.

Thanks, wish me luck.

Post #1   1/6/11 10:40:33PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
your in a good spot, you dont have very much weight to lose and your still a ways away. id up your cardio as much as you can between now and then because from my experiences, cardio plays a huge role in judo/jujitsu/grappling/mma tourneys. see what happens after uping your cardio. if you dont lose the 5 lbs from that just clean up your diet. you dont have to cut it down yet just eat really clean and wait to cut your food till you get closer. if its like most tournements ive done you dont get to weight in a day prior so you really shouldnt dehydrate if you dont have adequate time to refuel. if i were you id clean up my diet, up my cardio and get down a few pounds below the weight limit so that way i could eat a bunch of carbs and hydrate properly before i step on the mat. it sounds like its should be a pretty easy cut for you. PM me if you need more info

Post #2   1/7/11 1:18:15AM   

decken

Standup Guy

decken Avatar

Career:471-314
Chips:
Here is a good LINK going in detail of how to lose weight for fighting and below is my take on it.

As far as losing fat weight/long term weight loss I recommend cutting your caloric intake per day by about 500 calories and start eating 6-7 smaller meals a day.

I also recommend cutting out all fast food, soda, desserts and junk food in general. Try to eat one serving of fruits or vegetables with each smaller meal.

If dieting is hard for you, like it is for me, you can have one cheat meal a week. Eat whatever you want for that one meal.(just avoid buffets). Only do this once a week otherwise you are not really dieting.

If the weigh-ins are the day before the event you can easily cut the last 10-15 pounds 2 days before weigh-ins. The only thing I do not agree with in the article is the comment about the make-up remover. I personally use Albolene (which is a mix of mineral oils and Vaseline) and it works great and I have had no negative side effects from using it. Plus Albolene actually recommends using the it for weight loss.

I hope this helps and if you have any additional questions feel free to ask me.

Last edited 1/7/11 1:24AM server time by decken
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #3   1/7/11 1:20:08AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,690-1,487
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by decken

If the weigh-ins are the day before the event you can easily cut the last 10-15 pounds 2 days before weigh-ins.

I have to say, this is some pretty dangerous advice. If he was accustomed to cutting weight, that's one thing. I would never tell someone cutting weight for the first time that it's easy to cut 15 pounds in 2 days.

Post #4   1/7/11 7:41:11AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by decken

If the weigh-ins are the day before the event you can easily cut the last 10-15 pounds 2 days before weigh-ins.

I have to say, this is some pretty dangerous advice. If he was accustomed to cutting weight, that's one thing. I would never tell someone cutting weight for the first time that it's easy to cut 15 pounds in 2 days.

Yeah I cut 11 lbs the day before an event weighed in rehydrated ate thought all was good the next morning I still felt weak and got tech'd 15-0 cause I just had no gas.

Post #5   1/7/11 10:18:11AM   

decken

Standup Guy

decken Avatar

Career:471-314
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by decken

You obviously did not read the article I linked. Everyone reacts differently to weight cuts but if you had read the article you would know it advises to do a mock cut. It also goes through how you should rehydrate.

I personally had not cut weight in over six years and I used this method and it worked well. Plus cutting 5-7.5 pounds in food weight and 5-7.5 pounds in water weight is not that much for someone who weights over 200 pounds.

Last edited 1/8/11 1:15AM server time by decken
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #6   1/8/11 1:11:22AM