Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Stanford QB Andrew Luck declares...

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

In the end he is free to make his own choices. I'm just saying what I would do and that I think he's making a bad move.

IMO, and I have some experience leaving behind days of glory to pursue loftier goals, he's being dumb. He's reaching for one more year of glory with Stanford when he's got an entire life ahead of him. It was tough for me to leave my friends and the good times I was having in college when I left to join the Army, but I am so glad that I did in hindsight. It was tough to leave the Army and all of my dearest friends to pursue a career as a firefighter, but I am so glad that I did in hindsight.

Bottom line to me is that he's risking a lot for one more shot at glory in college and I think both BSB and Luck are not only selling short the vast amounts more experience in life he has to gain doing other things but that you're also hyping your college experiences too much. College is 4-7 years of a 75+ year life, if you sacrifice the future for the sake of the present then you're likely to get bogged down and miss opportunities. I've seen it happen to a ton of my own personal friends already. Personally, I don't think it's a wise move. Were I his friend I would tell him all of these things I'm saying now, but I'd respect his decision no matter what one he made. And lastly- to clarify - obviously time is the only thing that will tell, and for some people it may be more important to go to school. Maybe that wil be his life's greatest accomplishment. I just think it's over hyped big time. I'll take a 50 million dollar contract, super model wife, star QB on NFL franchise position, and the ability to take care of my friends and family for the rest of my life over another year in college any day.

It's not even about MY college experience, it's the collegiate game as a whole. Luck isn't going to get "worse" by staying at Stanford. His tools are there. He could work on some of his reads and learning to pick up blitz packages, but what the NFL is MOST concerned about, Luck will not lose. They are concerned with arm strength, mechanics, intelligence, ability to read defenses, and vision.

That's not going to change in a year. Stanford might not have as good of a season, but Luck isn't going to suddenly forget how to throw the ball properly. Another year at the collegiate level will do Luck more good than harm.

The NFL draft is really a crapshoot anyhow. People seem to think this will actually hurt him, which couldn't be further from the truth. When people speak ill of his decision and how it could impact Luck, it comes down to ONE thing and one thing only; money.

Anyone who knows anything at all about scouting and player analysis will tell you that Luck will not be hurt by coming back in terms of his ability to succeed at the next level. The only thing they actually mention is the rookie cap. Most, if not all, will actually tell you that he's going number one whether he comes out this year or next.

Bradford was the consensus number one pick before he decided to return and he STILL went number one. This is why I point out the fact that people who've mentioned Leinart or Locker coming back as detrimental to their NFL career as individuals who don't actually know what they're talking about. It's apples and oranges.

Locker actually benefited by coming back because teams were able to see the HUGE holes in his game that would have been exploited ad naseum at the next level. His stock fell, but had he not come back and realized those holes were there, he would have been another first round bust.

Leinart, as I have mentioned, is in a different boat because he lacks work ethic and dedication to the game. Coming back to USC didn't hurt Leinart in any way. As a matter of fact, he actually had a stellar season, it was just overshadowed by Bush and Young. Leinart choosing to party at the next level is what hurt his NFL chances, not coming back to USC.

Locker's story has yet to be written. If you actually talk to professional athletes who returned for their senior/RS junior year, they will actually tell you that the reason they came back was because they loved their school and money couldn't replace their final year. So, it's not just my experience. Plenty of athletes have said the same thing. Locker said, Tebow said it, Luck believes it, Pollack actually just said the same thing to me in a conversation we were having about Luck.

As I've said, Luck still has more than enough opportunity to make all the money you're saying he will lose out on. He's still gonna be the number 1 pick. Hot girls will still f*ck his brains out if he's only worth $15 million instead of $50.

If you need proof of this, look at Matt Flynn's (Rodgers back-up) girlfriend. She's pretty smoking, Tom Brady might not have even had the hottest girl between the two of them the night that Green Bay played New England.

Post #16   1/7/11 6:17:28PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
FYI: to end speculation.

Oliver Luck issued a statement from Andrew to ESPN's Joe Schad stating that there is a "zero percent chance Andrew will change his mind & they made this decision having it on pretty good authority that Harbaugh was leaving"

Post #17   1/7/11 6:23:43PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
He decided a day too soon-Harbaugh left today. San Francisco. 5 years for $25 million to be the 49ers head coach.

Post #18   1/7/11 7:13:00PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by DCRage

He decided a day too soon-Harbaugh left today. San Francisco. 5 years for $25 million to be the 49ers head coach.

I'm pretty sure I just said that Luck issued a statement today saying that he knew Harbaugh was leaving and that he won't be changing his mind.

Post #19   1/7/11 7:24:43PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

It's not even about MY college experience, it's the collegiate game as a whole. Luck isn't going to get "worse" by staying at Stanford. His tools are there. He could work on some of his reads and learning to pick up blitz packages, but what the NFL is MOST concerned about, Luck will not lose. They are concerned with arm strength, mechanics, intelligence, ability to read defenses, and vision.

That's not going to change in a year. Stanford might not have as good of a season, but Luck isn't going to suddenly forget how to throw the ball properly. Another year at the collegiate level will do Luck more good than harm.

The NFL draft is really a crapshoot anyhow. People seem to think this will actually hurt him, which couldn't be further from the truth. When people speak ill of his decision and how it could impact Luck, it comes down to ONE thing and one thing only; money.

Anyone who knows anything at all about scouting and player analysis will tell you that Luck will not be hurt by coming back in terms of his ability to succeed at the next level. The only thing they actually mention is the rookie cap. Most, if not all, will actually tell you that he's going number one whether he comes out this year or next.

Bradford was the consensus number one pick before he decided to return and he STILL went number one. This is why I point out the fact that people who've mentioned Leinart or Locker coming back as detrimental to their NFL career as individuals who don't actually know what they're talking about. It's apples and oranges.

Locker actually benefited by coming back because teams were able to see the HUGE holes in his game that would have been exploited ad naseum at the next level. His stock fell, but had he not come back and realized those holes were there, he would have been another first round bust.

Leinart, as I have mentioned, is in a different boat because he lacks work ethic and dedication to the game. Coming back to USC didn't hurt Leinart in any way. As a matter of fact, he actually had a stellar season, it was just overshadowed by Bush and Young. Leinart choosing to party at the next level is what hurt his NFL chances, not coming back to USC.

Locker's story has yet to be written. If you actually talk to professional athletes who returned for their senior/RS junior year, they will actually tell you that the reason they came back was because they loved their school and money couldn't replace their final year. So, it's not just my experience. Plenty of athletes have said the same thing. Locker said, Tebow said it, Luck believes it, Pollack actually just said the same thing to me in a conversation we were having about Luck.

As I've said, Luck still has more than enough opportunity to make all the money you're saying he will lose out on. He's still gonna be the number 1 pick. Hot girls will still f*ck his brains out if he's only worth $15 million instead of $50.

If you need proof of this, look at Matt Flynn's (Rodgers back-up) girlfriend. She's pretty smoking, Tom Brady might not have even had the hottest girl between the two of them the night that Green Bay played New England.

I'm not necessarily disputing any of what you're saying. BUT, let's look at two things that could happen in the next year-

Big injury
Worse season

You don't think it's possible for either of those two things to happen? Are you willing to bet around 30 million on it?

BTW- you're totally right. NFL scouts and analysts have never been wrong about anybody. They've never recanted their position on who has it and who doesn't.

EDIT: BTW, let's not forget that now his coach is leaving the program. Will he do as well with a new coach with possibly an entirely different scheme? I really hope he proves me wrong but let's revisit this thread after the 2012 draft and see where we stand.

Last edited 1/7/11 8:06PM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #20   1/7/11 8:00:06PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

I'm not necessarily disputing any of what you're saying. BUT, let's look at two things that could happen in the next year-

Big injury
Worse season

You don't think it's possible for either of those two things to happen? Are you willing to bet around 30 million on it?

BTW- you're totally right. NFL scouts and analysts have never been wrong about anybody. They've never recanted their position on who has it and who doesn't.

Big injury could occur at any level. Anyone who comes out because they are "worried about being injured" is fooling themselves in to thinking this is actually a valid reason. You can get injured doing anything. Luck could go the route of Stafon Johnson from USC; dropped bench press on his throat crushing it.

He's more likely, actually, to get injured in the NFL because so many teams are starting these rookies off the bat rather than having them tutelage under someone. At least he knows the offensive system at Stanford and will have practiced with his new offensive line for more than just OTA's, mini-camps, and the preseason.

I never buy the "he could get injured" argument. It's as arbitrary a reason as anything. Luck also doesn't have a track record of injuries so unless he goes the route of Eric LeGrande, I can't honestly see a major injury hurting him. It certainly didn't affect Bradford's stock.

As I've already stated, he's going to have a worse season. I still don't think that affects his draft stock. Locker's mistakes and poor season (even though it was Washington's best season since he began) weren't the major reason he fell from the number 1 overall pick. The holes in his game and inconsistencies coupled with the fact that Luck is just better than him, are the reason he fell.

I've said all along that people were dumb for thinking Locker was worthy of the number 1 overall pick. You don't need to be a scout or an analyst to notice the massive differences between Luck and Locker's abilities. Locker was going to be the number 1 overall pick because there weren't really amazing QB's in last year's draft. He was number 1 by default.

Gabbert is a better QB, Mallett is a better QB, it was bound to happen. If Locker had rushed his decision and come out, he more than likely would have been starting in the NFL this year and would have had one of the worst seasons in recent memory, even for a rookie. I'm not even sure that he would have made it out of the season without being benched at least twice.

A worse season at Stanford isn't going to have the same effect as someone like a Bradford staying all four years and having a poor season. Everyone realizes that Stanford, despite recent success, is not going to be able to recruit the majority of the best athletes in the country because of their strict academic requirements.

I can promise you that not ONE NFL scouting report or GM will hold a sub-par season from Stanford and Luck against him. There's a reason Stanford is usually at the bottom of the Pac-10.

Luck probably realizes that it's going to be HIGHLY difficult, if not impossible, for Stanford to replicate the success they had this season. He WILL have a worse year, for a couple reasons.

A.) Stanford lost most of their o-line to graduation.

B.) Next year marks the new Pac-12. Luck will have a tougher schedule against teams they have never seen before.

C.) Let's be real, Stanford was never going to repeat anyhow. It's Stanford.

Luck will have a worse year and nobody will care. Everyone wants this kid right now and, just like Bradford, he will still be the best available QB in next year's draft. When they talk about this kid, the refer to him as "pro-ready" and they don't mean it like he will succeed in the pros, several people have actually said, he could walk off the field in Palo Alto on Saturday and on the the field on Sunday and still have a better day than Jimmy Clausen.

He's a unique talent. Luck is the kind of college quarterback that comes along once in a decade. He's the next Manning, Brady, Elway, Montana. It's everything the kid does, I've seen him play on TV and in person. He's truly something special to watch.

As for scouts and analysts NEVER being wrong, I don't believe I made that claim, I merely said that it's pretty plain to see that this kid won't be a bust. There's some athletes that "you just know" will do well. LeBron, Kobe, AP, Crosby, Ovechkin, etc...

Luck is in that category. When John "f*cking" Elway is saying that he's never seen anything like Luck at the collegiate level, that's saying something.

Last edited 1/7/11 8:32PM server time by blueskiesburn
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #21   1/7/11 8:29:30PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:
Whatever man... to each their own. I'll take the fast cars, the hot chicks, the guaranteed paycheck, the good times with my friends, and the support for my family over any of that hoorah Stanford hang out with a bunch of wanna-be intellectual frat boy closet homosexuals bullshit any day of the week.

But I don't come from money like he does. So it's easy for me to say that.

Post #22   1/7/11 9:32:33PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Whatever man... to each their own. I'll take the fast cars, the hot chicks, the guaranteed paycheck, the good times with my friends, and the support for my family over any of that hoorah Stanford hang out with a bunch of wanna-be intellectual frat boy closet homosexuals bullshit any day of the week.

But I don't come from money like he does. So it's easy for me to say that.

haha, yeah, his dad is an ex-NFL player, lawyer, NFL executive (including formerly the NFL Europe CEO), Sports Authority of Houston Chief, Houston Dynamo President, and West Virginia's AD.

He's got the fast cars, hot women, good times, support for his family, and guaranteed paycheck already. It's like a millionaires son having fun. Actually, it IS a millionaire's son having fun.

I respect the decision and encourage it, but I also realize that this is going to be the exception to a large paycheck and not the norm. I can't honestly say what I would do, as I don't know. I've never had $50m waiting for me to say "yes or no."

Post #23   1/7/11 9:39:16PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:
Yeah exactly... and his family having money is what this all honestly really does come down to.

And I know I'm being a jerk about this whole thing, but it just really pisses me off because we're so quick to judge 18 year old black kids from the ghetto when they skip college to play professional sports, and yet this guy comes off a hero for making a decision which, in all reality, would be a completely stupid decision if he didn't come from money.

I mean.. in some strange way I do respect his decision and I know I'm being more harsh on the college experience than I need to be (Especially frat boys ) but damn!!

Post #24   1/7/11 10:00:22PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Yeah exactly... and his family having money is what this all honestly really does come down to.

And I know I'm being a jerk about this whole thing, but it just really pisses me off because we're so quick to judge 18 year old black kids from the ghetto when they skip college to play professional sports, and yet this guy comes off a hero for making a decision which, in all reality, would be a completely stupid decision if he didn't come from money.

I mean.. in some strange way I do respect his decision and I know I'm being more harsh on the college experience than I need to be (Especially frat boys ) but damn!!

People in fraternities really are stupid and lame....wait....

I've actually only got a problem with the professional writers who call his decision a "mistake" and "stupid." I have no problem with the "average joe" having that opinion because most of us would take the money and run.

Journalists should NEVER be saying that a kid returning to college to finish his degree, REGARDLESS of race, is a mistake or a dumb decision.

I think the reason that people used to jump all over basketball players for skipping school is that they're 18 year old kids whose highest level of competition is High School or AAU leagues. The VAST majority of them were NOT going to be good in the pros. But, to be fair the to league and those players, I think the current rule is even dumber. One and done is the stupidest rule in all of sports. Just let them go pro out of HS or institute the NFL's policy of three years removed from HS.

One and done is retarded. It actually hurts the schools and players more than helps the NBA. It's now a massive recruiting war that results in schools violating NCAA rules to try to be competitive. I'm not saying that's the NBA's fault AT ALL, but when every school knows that a particular player is going to be "one and done," combined with the cutthroat "win or you're out" mentality of coaching, these sort of illegal recruiting tactics are going to happen much more often.

Why force these kids to, basically, pick a university to showcase their skills for a year. None of them that I have ever heard of have any intention of getting a degree.

Post #25   1/7/11 10:11:55PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2