Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Stanford QB Andrew Luck declares...

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,255-1,187
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
...that he WILL NOT enter the NFL Draft. Instead, he's returning to Stanford...

LINK

Last edited 1/6/11 4:19PM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   1/6/11 4:13:55PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
and will not get 55 million guaranteed, this year at least.

Post #2   1/6/11 4:23:16PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:
I think it's a smart move unless he gets hurt, and after seeing Sam Bradford even that may not matter. If he declares this year he could end up on an absolutely dreadful team. I wonder if this sheds an light on Jim Harbaugh's future.

Last edited 1/6/11 4:45PM server time by RyanC
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   1/6/11 4:45:34PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
He'll change his mind if Harbaugh leaves.

Post #4   1/6/11 5:21:09PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by DCRage

He'll change his mind if Harbaugh leaves.

Yep. I think both of their decisions are contingent on one another. I think since Luck is staying, Harbaugh will think about staying. He should be able to win the Pac 12.

Post #5   1/6/11 7:20:02PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,611-877
Chips:
Next year may be a strike year. Probably not an unwise choice.

Stanford will compete for a national title should Harbaugh decide to stay too.

Post #6   1/6/11 8:06:35PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Chips:

Posted by lohmann

Good call. I wasn't even thinking about the lockout when I said I thought it was a smart move.

Post #7   1/6/11 8:50:42PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,255-1,187
Chips:

Posted by RyanC

Posted by lohmann

Good call. I wasn't even thinking about the lockout when I said I thought it was a smart move.

Should there end up being a Rookie wage cap after this whole CBA thing is settled, this may (financially) end up being a bad thing for him.

Post #8   1/7/11 8:34:08AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by RyanC

Posted by lohmann

Should there end up being a Rookie wage cap after this whole CBA thing is settled, this may (financially) end up being a bad thing for him.

He would still make a hell of a lot more with a wage cap than as an architect, even if it is with a degree from Stanford. He can't practice as an architect without a Master's degree anyway...

That being said, he should come out. The more I think about it, the more I'm almost positive Harbaugh will go to the pros. No one wants to end up like Leinart or Locker...

Post #9   1/7/11 10:52:18AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Maybe he didnt want to go to Carolina, because Panthers said they would have drafted him.

Post #10   1/7/11 12:55:17PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by RyanC

Posted by lohmann

It could be, but if he comes out, and then there isn't a season, or there is only half of one it could hurt his development. I guess it depends on how you look at it. I wouldn't want to play for Carolina. They're a cheapskate franchise. They haven't signed a meaningful free-agent in years. Plus if the kid wants to stay and school and get his degree I say good for him. I guess I just have a different opinion of the situation than most people.

Post #11   1/7/11 2:41:15PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
If I were him I'd bail on the school immediately. Everyone always says they should get a degree and blah blah blah. You could pay for 100 degrees with just one contract in the NFL as the #1 overall pick. You could pay for yours, your wife's, your children, their children' and then some. With all expenses included. Weigh that against the odds of getting hurt and losing your guaranteed top dollar and it's a stupid move to stay in college.

Lockout or not the kid is going to be taken care of by whatever franchise he goes to. On the development side it doesn't even matter whether he develops or not. He could flop and play in 5 games his whole first contract and still come out looking like a polished, shining, golden turd. As for the notion that he'll end up on a terrible team-- when you're the #1 overall pick you're more than likely going to end up on a terrible team no matter what year you declare. In the last 10 years the only 2 teams who took #1 overall draft pick that are any good are - Atlanta Falcons and San Diego Chargers.

Leave college now, make a guaranteed 50+ mil in your first contract. I thought people went to college to become smarter. Looks like even the mighty academic college Stanford can't teach common sense.

Post #12   1/7/11 4:24:38PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

If I were him I'd bail on the school immediately. Everyone always says they should get a degree and blah blah blah. You could pay for 100 degrees with just one contract in the NFL as the #1 overall pick. You could pay for yours, your wife's, your children, their children' and then some. With all expenses included. Weigh that against the odds of getting hurt and losing your guaranteed top dollar and it's a stupid move to stay in college.

Lockout or not the kid is going to be taken care of by whatever franchise he goes to. On the development side it doesn't even matter whether he develops or not. He could flop and play in 5 games his whole first contract and still come out looking like a polished, shining, golden turd. As for the notion that he'll end up on a terrible team-- when you're the #1 overall pick you're more than likely going to end up on a terrible team no matter what year you declare. In the last 10 years the only 2 teams who took #1 overall draft pick that are any good are - Atlanta Falcons and San Diego Chargers.

Leave college now, make a guaranteed 50+ mil in your first contract. I thought people went to college to become smarter. Looks like even the mighty academic college Stanford can't teach common sense.

This!

Also Harbaugh just signed with the 49ers. I'm guessing Luck might reconsider.

Post #13   1/7/11 4:50:01PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

I disagree with just about everything you've said. It's about finishing what you started. College ball is different from the NFL in every possible way except for the game.

Luck enjoys his experience as a student-athlete at one of the finest schools in the nation. Sure, he could go back and finish his degree at Stanford but, as an NFL player, he cannot do in the the same capacity.

Stanford students are extremely bright and actually ENJOY learning. Luck probably enjoys going to classes and working with other students. I know that I do. He could not do this as an NFL athlete. He would need to take independent courses outside of the classroom setting.

Personally, I applaud individuals that come back and finish what they started. It's shows their unselfish nature. He believes that Stanford can accomplish great things next year.

I hate to break it to people, but the only reason leaving college early means a sh*t is to get ONE huge check. The reason they are so large is because most first round drafts will not turn out to be great/elite players anyhow.

Luck will, more than likely, be a tremendous pro. If you talk to any of the scouts and have seen any film on Luck, he has all of the intangibles as well as the physical tools and mechanics. Not to mention he has a great pedigree.

Luck will only get better. People mention who stupid comparisons like Leinart and Locker really don't know what they're talking about. I'm not singling out anyone when I say this, I'm just addressing a generalized point.

Luck is NOT Leinart or Locker. Leinart never had the work ethic or the tools that Luck had. Locker actually had a better team year with Washington than they have had in YEARS. Sure, his stats may have dropped, but that's because the Huskies f*cking blow.

Luck's stock will not drop barring any unforeseen circumstances. He's still going to have proper mechanics, he;s not going to shrink in size or stature, and he's only going to increase his football knowledge. People need to look at the larger picture of QB's that could possibly come out next year and I don't see anyone being drafted over Luck unless there's a MAJOR reason like him sleeping with 18 women, which Stanford is known to produce.

Is he leaving some money on the table? Sure. Can that money purchase the time and experience that he will have by returning to Stanford for one more year? Absolutely not.

At the end of the day, money is just money, a guy as talented as Luck is going to see WAY more money over the course of his career, if he's as talented as they think he's going to be/and certainly looks to be, than he would with the rookie contract anyhow.

I, for one, think it's great that he chose to come back. Luck won't change his mind because Harbaugh left, if he does I'd think less of him for failing to honor his word which he gave at his presser.

Even with a bad season, Luck will still be the odds on favorite to be the number one pick in next year's NFL draft. Plenty of top players decided to stay for another year, I don't understand why people think Luck is dumb for doing the same. Where's the outrage over Ryan Broyles, Justin Blackmon, or LaMichael James?

Post #14   1/7/11 5:40:07PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
In the end he is free to make his own choices. I'm just saying what I would do and that I think he's making a bad move.

IMO, and I have some experience leaving behind days of glory to pursue loftier goals, he's being dumb. He's reaching for one more year of glory with Stanford when he's got an entire life ahead of him. It was tough for me to leave my friends and the good times I was having in college when I left to join the Army, but I am so glad that I did in hindsight. It was tough to leave the Army and all of my dearest friends to pursue a career as a firefighter, but I am so glad that I did in hindsight.

Bottom line to me is that he's risking a lot for one more shot at glory in college and I think both BSB and Luck are not only selling short the vast amounts more experience in life he has to gain doing other things but that you're also hyping your college experiences too much. College is 4-7 years of a 75+ year life, if you sacrifice the future for the sake of the present then you're likely to get bogged down and miss opportunities. I've seen it happen to a ton of my own personal friends already. Personally, I don't think it's a wise move. Were I his friend I would tell him all of these things I'm saying now, but I'd respect his decision no matter what one he made. And lastly- to clarify - obviously time is the only thing that will tell, and for some people it may be more important to go to school. Maybe that wil be his life's greatest accomplishment. I just think it's over hyped big time. I'll take a 50 million dollar contract, super model wife, star QB on NFL franchise position, and the ability to take care of my friends and family for the rest of my life over another year in college any day.

Post #15   1/7/11 5:52:07PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2