Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Olympians applying skills to new arena

Print  
Posted By Message

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,557-943
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
It has been more than six years since Rhadi Ferguson represented the United States in judo at the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens, Greece, and chances are the Coconut Creek, Fla., native -- now 35 -- will never compete at the Olympics again.

Still, that doesn't make him a former Olympian. That term doesn't even exist, in Ferguson's opinion. As far as he's concerned, you're either an Olympian or you're not.

"There's no such thing as a former Olympian," Ferguson told ESPN.com. "Once an Olympian, always an Olympian. That can never be taken away."

Article

Post #1   1/6/11 12:05:29AM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:519-361
Chips:
unless you go from Pride Fighting to the reality show "The biggest loser". on the other hand, if someone makes it to the Olympics that's definitely something very people can say. I guess ill give Rulon a break, at least he chose a man sport and not figure skating.

Post #2   1/6/11 3:02:27AM   

vomitshovel

MMA Regular

vomitshovel Avatar

Career:136-93
Camp: Xtreme Fight Militia
Chips:
There is no "man sport" or "woman sport'. That's a generalization applied by all social circles in an attempt to make themselves feel better about themselves. ie The guy who starts Rugby, who was always insecure and not confident in his sexuality, all of a sudden now has a reason to think he's a man and I tell you now the point of all of this....
I respect any skilled athlete/competitor, I've seen guys do gymnastics that I consider more amazing than some MMA fights, and yes, the same goes for figure skating.
Look it's all opinion, but WHEN that 80 year old man with his Olympic Gold Medal lies in his death bed unable to even pee by himself... He's still a champion.
He's still an Olympian, and as long as HIS OWN opinion is that, it doesn't matter what people say.
How his venture into MMA will turn out, i dunno, but i do know that i respect ANYONE who has put the time in to get that good at ANYTHING, despite what the majority of people participating have between their legs. :?

Post #3   1/6/11 5:52:25AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by tcunningham

unless you go from Pride Fighting to the reality show "The biggest loser". on the other hand, if someone makes it to the Olympics that's definitely something very people can say. I guess ill give Rulon a break, at least he chose a man sport and not figure skating.

I consider myself a decent athlete, and I've played a few sports, but I guarantee that figure skating at that level is far more grueling than any sport I've ever played competitively. I would say figure skating is far more of a sport than NASCAR or golf.

And for the article, it's great to see athletes at this level from any background turn their focus to mixed martial arts. I love seeing judokas fight, and I hope this guy can translate it to the ring.

Post #4   1/6/11 8:42:00AM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,311-1,280
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by tcunningham

I can't stand watching figure skating. I also can't stand watching Fred Astaire.

Post #5   1/6/11 11:49:31AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
I think that people should be aware of the fact that Dr. Ferguson (Yes, he has a Ph.D.) has a black belt in both Judo and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

He's not just some dude foraying into MMA.

Here's an actual interview with the man if people would actually care to know anything at all about him.

Interview with Fanhouse

Post #6   1/7/11 6:32:40PM