Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Scott Coker: We (Strikeforce) Have The Best HW Division In MMA"

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
At least he thinks so. "To me the fans are always going to think what they want. I've always known we have the best heavyweight division in mixed martial arts. I had this in my back pocket. I don't really gauge what's going out in the viral world, the virtual world. I just know that this is a special moment in time. All these heavyweight fighters are here and in their youth, young enough to compete at high levels. We're going to let them all fight each other and this is the best way to do it."

Article

Post #1   1/5/11 5:51:13PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
No they don't...

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #2   1/5/11 6:07:46PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,566-924
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
This point is obviously debatable. I would stand far away from proclaiming SF has the best HW division. They certainly have a good HW division and I for one am looking foward to their tournement format coming up. That is one point (so long as it all comes to fruition) I will give them over the UFC. I have always found tournements the funnest and strongest way to convey who the best are.

Post #3   1/5/11 6:10:20PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:540-380
Chips:
i agree. fedor is knocking on the door of retirement, werdum couldnt make it in the ufc along with arlovski. its just hard to agree that the premier organization (ufc) is out done by strikeforce.

Post #4   1/5/11 6:14:33PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,622-990
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Werdum was sent out of the UFC by Junior dos Santos via a vicious uppercut in dos Santos' UFC debut. I am willing to bet JDS could destroy any of the heavyweights in Strikforce.

Cain Velasquez could as well.... Carwin too, I could see him doing away with most of the Strikeforce roster.

Post #5   1/5/11 6:59:26PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,449-799
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I think Strikeforce has a good HW division. But I wouldn't say the best. If you compare SF HWs vs UFC HWs I think the UFC wins out. Also SF seams to have issues with even getting the HW fighters to fight. Like their HW champ has fought only once for them in 2 years now and he didn't even fight a real contender. Then you add in all the issues with Fedor and his management. They just don't have a stable HW division.

Post #6   1/5/11 8:49:57PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:
Coker is delusional...

Post #7   1/5/11 9:07:35PM   

SpiderSilva

1/31/15 a Legend returns

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,894-1,182
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
"Their" HW champ is a barrowed champ of 3 orgs.

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #8   1/5/11 9:34:35PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

Werdum was sent out of the UFC by Junior dos Santos via a vicious uppercut in dos Santos' UFC debut. I am willing to bet JDS could destroy any of the heavyweights in Strikforce.

Cain Velasquez could as well.... Carwin too, I could see him doing away with most of the Strikeforce roster.

Post #9   1/5/11 10:14:34PM   

vomitshovel

MMA Regular

vomitshovel Avatar

Career:136-93
Camp: Xtreme Fight Militia
Chips:

Posted by SpiderSilva

"Their" HW champ is a barrowed champ of 3 orgs.

If you have ever seen how or why Overeem is the champ of 3 orgs, or if you have no idea of how good Overeem actually is, It's easy to think of that as bad. But Overeem really deserves it and StrikeForce giving him the freedom to do other shows is growing MMA and expanding people's respect of MMA in the broader combat sport fanbase.

Forgive my brash attitude, but if you say Fedor is knocking on the door of retirement... You're retarded.
SF has a more exciting line up of heavyweight fighters, no doubt.
UFC has always had an underdeveloped heavyweight division, barring some real amazing guys.
Fact is with guys like Overeem, Fedor and Werdum - You're looking at more exciting fights than with Mir, Carwin or Velasquez.
This is purely up to opinion and I believe that they are about even skill-wise. I do think Overeem would wipe out Velasquez, but UFC has many more heavyweights with a lot of talent, whereas strikefore has like 5.

Last edited 1/6/11 6:31AM server time by vomitshovel
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   1/6/11 6:27:33AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,539-904
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I think Strikeforce's heavyweights are very good and most would be competitive against the UFC's division overall. Werdum should never have been let go, Fedor,Barnett,Overeem all should be fighting there, but I only see Werdum moving back to the UFC in the future, he's all about the competition, where as the other guys don't really care.

Post #11   1/6/11 7:08:12AM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
If Coker thinks a, Tire changing bar brawler, 2 one dimensional fighters in a BJJ master( with very little striking), Horse meat eatin freak kick boxer(with very little ground game), Then an extremely "guarded" recently dethroned Emporer. A multi- time caught steoid abuser, and 2 b- level russians and 1 brazillian are the best Hw division in all of MMA........let him live in his fantasy world!?

Last edited 1/6/11 7:11PM server time by bustedknuckle
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   1/6/11 7:10:01PM   

Franklinfan47

Simply The Best

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,682-1,471
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by RearNakedJoke

Coker is delusional...

I think so too. He has alot of heavyweights who were FORMER champions and carry that big-name presitge, but if your looking at the depth of a dvision and the guys who will dominate the division for the next 5-10 years, its the ufc.

Post #13   1/6/11 9:27:20PM   

hate4thestate

In Full Mount

hate4thestate Avatar

Career:1,574-980
Camp: FLBTV All-Stars
Chips:

Posted by Franklinfan47

Posted by RearNakedJoke

Coker is delusional...

I think so too. He has alot of heavyweights who were FORMER champions and carry that big-name presitge, but if your looking at the depth of a dvision and the guys who will dominate the division for the next 5-10 years, its the ufc.

cough... Shane Del Rosario.

hmmmhmhmhm.... Daniel Cormier.

Post #14   1/7/11 11:41:38AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by hate4thestate

Posted by Franklinfan47

Posted by RearNakedJoke

Coker is delusional...

cough... Shane Del Rosario.

hmmmhmhmhm.... Daniel Cormier.

Hate...that last name you're absolutely correct about. Daniel Cormier should be in the reserve bout or on the card in my opinion.

Post #15   1/7/11 12:28:00PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2