Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Strikeforce HW Tournament Bracket Revealed

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
2 things of note: If Fedor beats Silva he'll either get the Werdum rematch or Overeem at last, and the tournament winner becomes the Strikeforce Heavyweight Champion. This according to according to executive vice president and general manager of Showtime Sports, Ken Hershman via ESPN.

Post #1   1/5/11 9:22:51AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Chips:
Shane Del Rosario vs. Lavar Johnson is reportedly set as a reserve fight, that happens on 2/12.

Post #2   1/5/11 10:16:56AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,518-886
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
On paper this should be freaking awesome. The AA Khartatoniv fight seems the least significant on paper but this is really a nice tournement set up. Hope their's no hitches in this!

Post #3   1/5/11 6:14:58PM   

Bloodhound

Standup Guy

Bloodhound Avatar

Career:1,054-599
Chips:
Fedor & Overeem should have been on opposites sides but oh well, im pumped and hopefully we dont see any injuries. Hoping for a bad ass injury free grand prix

Post #4   1/5/11 10:22:37PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,468-851
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Wow, everybody thinks AA is finished. I think Barnett wins the whole thing as long as he doesn't face Fedor.

Post #5   1/6/11 12:55:10AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Chips:
Some more details:
Ray Sefo vs. Valentijn Overeem is alternate fight #2. That'll happen on 2/12.
Fedor-Silva and Arlovski-Kharitonov are on 2/12. Overeem-Werdum and Barnett-Rogers are now being targeted for April. Originally it was thought those fights might happen on 3/5.
Daniel Cormier may also be chosen as an alternate, but he next fights tomorrow so wait and see.

Post #6   1/6/11 9:31:42AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Should have added 4 alternates to the tournament and gave first round byes to
Fedor, the reem, werdum and barnett.

Still don't know why fedor silva reem and werdum is on one side
The two matches should be on opposite sides

Post #7   1/10/11 8:42:58PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,343-1,317
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
So let me get this straight.

The champion is fighting the #1 contender in Rd. 1.

He will face the winner of the #2 contender vs the #3 Contender.

The rest of Strikeforce's contenders are fighting each other in the other side of the bracket, meaning one will have 2 straight wins (at the minimum) before getting to the finals, which in Strikeforce makes you title shot ready. Which convieniently, no matter who comes out of the left side of the bracket should have.

You can call it a tournament if you want too, but since the fights are happening on different nights, its pretty much just matchmaking as usual with a fancy graphic.

Post #8   1/11/11 5:10:51PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

The rest of Strikeforce's contenders are fighting each other in the other side of the bracket, meaning one will have 2 straight wins (at the minimum) before getting to the finals, which in Strikeforce makes you title shot ready. Which convieniently, no matter who comes out of the left side of the bracket should have.

You can call it a tournament if you want too, but since the fights are happening on different nights, its pretty much just matchmaking as usual with a fancy graphic.

Basically, but it forces Overeem, Werdum, And Fedor to fight each other. Something strikeforce has had difficulty making.

Also, coker made mention that Japan for the finals isnt out of the question. It could potentially still have the final four fight on one night to determine the champ.

Post #9   1/12/11 1:01:51AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Fedor is probably going to break hi0s hand fighting Antonio Silva. I'll take an avatar 1bet on it. He always breaks his hands on opponents who have little head movement. It'll be interesting if Fedor can't put him away on the feet, i'm not sure he can finish if it happens on the floor.

Arlovski and Kharitonov is an awesome match-up! Both guys have sambo backgrounds and should be able to completely neutralize each others grappling. It comes down to Kharitonov's new, improved kickboxing and Arlovski's quicker, better boxing. Kharitonov is slow, hugely powerful and tough as nails. Arlovski is quick, hugely powerful and chinny. It'll be fun watching who's style wins out on the feet.
Surprisingly, i like Kharitonov to go all russian on the bellarussian here.

Barnett v. Rogers - Easy money, this is a match Barnett should win. Given that he's 29-5 against a strong tier of HW's, i think Barnett will prove again that he's a winner. Probably an americana.

Both matchups (Barnett v. Arlovski, Barnett v. Kharitonov) are compelling. Stylistically they are tough matches for Barnett.

Post #10   1/12/11 1:34:21AM   

BigCountryFedor

Banned for Cheating

BigCountryFedor Avatar

Career:653-352
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

I see what you're saying but it was literally the only way to get them all to fight, without question.

And I also agree that Overeem and Fedor need to be on seperate sides of the bracket.

Post #11   1/12/11 3:01:42AM   

Franklinfan47

Simply The Best

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,629-1,436
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I think in the semi's were gonna see Fedor vs Overeem and Barnett vs Kharitonov. Who will take the whole thing though? No idea at this point.

PS. thats not me hating on Arlovski, I just think Kharitonov has the perfect style to beat him.

Post #12   1/12/11 11:15:48AM   

jodybanman

Learning to Sprawl

jodybanman Avatar

Career:1,762-943
Chips:
It's the best Strikeforce can do, and it's pretty damn good.

But one side of the bracket sure is tougher than the other. Pretty much a free ticket for career reclamation for either Barnett, Arlovski, Kharitonov, or Rogers.

With all the "reserve matches" being announced, it seems like even the promotion is unsure if it can pull this off.

Post #13   1/12/11 8:57:04PM