Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 125 middleweight Chris Leben: Life isn't a Superman comic book

Print  
Posted By Message

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,636-993
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
LAS VEGAS – As far as pre-fight storylines go, the UFC 125 matchup between middleweight sluggers Chris Leben (25-6 MMA, 11-5 UFC) and Brian Stann (9-3 MMA, 1-1 UFC) appears pretty cut and dry.

Take Leben, an oft-troubled and always outspoken slugger, and pair him with Stann, a Silver Star-winning U.S. Marine known as the "All American," and you've got a clear good vs. evil scenario.

But Leben thinks MMA pundits and fans have been too quick to draw the obvious conclusion. After all, life isn't always that simple.

Article

Last edited 12/30/10 10:30PM server time by pmoney
Edit note/reason: subject placed in body, deleted

Post #1   12/30/10 10:29:46PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
War LEBEN!

Post #2   12/30/10 11:50:15PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
LOL.. not very smart comments to make IMO. He's clearly projecting due to feeling like the media or fans are against him when they aren't.

The guy has made mistakes, but that's no reason to discredit the service of a decorated Marine. It all sounds like justification remarks to me. No one said Stann was better than Leben as a person that I've seen. All this will do is stoke the flames and make those comments actually start to appear. I never once thought that, but now that he's projecting and trying to discredit Stann's military service, I guess I will.

I'm sorry Leben, but the fact is Stann has lived more of a role-model's life and has been more of a superman comic book hero than you have. If that hurts to hear, I'm sorry. But the fact is while Stann was leading men into combat and coming back alive with awards for valor, you were getting kicked out of the military, living on the streets doing drugs, treating people like hell on TUF, getting busted for DUI, and taking steroids. I don't say those things to be a jerk, but because they are factual.

He may have had rough circumstances growing up, but how we react to the world around us determines who we are. In the end we make our own choices. I was really high on Leben's turn around story until he got popped for roids. Now I'm just not buying any of it.

EDIT: Also, I have no doubt that Stann has made mistakes of his own over the years. We all have. But for Leben to take this down this road, whether it was media induced or not, is just low class IMO.

Last edited 12/31/10 12:11PM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   12/31/10 12:10:20PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

LOL.. not very smart comments to make IMO. He's clearly projecting due to feeling like the media or fans are against him when they aren't.

The guy has made mistakes, but that's no reason to discredit the service of a decorated Marine. It all sounds like justification remarks to me. No one said Stann was better than Leben as a person that I've seen. All this will do is stoke the flames and make those comments actually start to appear. I never once thought that, but now that he's projecting and trying to discredit Stann's military service, I guess I will.

I'm sorry Leben, but the fact is Stann has lived more of a role-model's life and has been more of a superman comic book hero than you have. If that hurts to hear, I'm sorry. But the fact is while Stann was leading men into combat and coming back alive with awards for valor, you were getting kicked out of the military, living on the streets doing drugs, treating people like hell on TUF, getting busted for DUI, and taking steroids. I don't say those things to be a jerk, but because they are factual.

He may have had rough circumstances growing up, but how we react to the world around us determines who we are. In the end we make our own choices. I was really high on Leben's turn around story until he got popped for roids. Now I'm just not buying any of it.

EDIT: Also, I have no doubt that Stann has made mistakes of his own over the years. We all have. But for Leben to take this down this road, whether it was media induced or not, is just low class IMO.

don't be too quick to hate on Leben here. imo, he never once disrespected Stann's military service, rather he praised him for it. Leben was just saying how he doesn't feel that Stann's battlefield experience, as respectable as it is, can translate into MMA.

also, we don't know what media Leben was exposed to prior to making this claim about being portrayed as the bad guy. he may have read an article or heard responses from casual fans who don;t know Leben the way you ar i do. the only disrespectful thing Leben said was that he wanted a bigger name than Stann, in the next sentence he says how it is going to be an amazing fight regardless and means no disrespect to Stann.

Post #4   12/31/10 3:39:16PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by Jackelope

don't be too quick to hate on Leben here. imo, he never once disrespected Stann's military service, rather he praised him for it. Leben was just saying how he doesn't feel that Stann's battlefield experience, as respectable as it is, can translate into MMA.

also, we don't know what media Leben was exposed to prior to making this claim about being portrayed as the bad guy. he may have read an article or heard responses from casual fans who don;t know Leben the way you ar i do. the only disrespectful thing Leben said was that he wanted a bigger name than Stann, in the next sentence he says how it is going to be an amazing fight regardless and means no disrespect to Stann.

The only thing I'll say about that is that as a veteran I read those comments an entirely different way than you probably do. To me some of what he said was blatantly disrespectful. I'm sure Stann feels that way too.

Either way in the end it doesn't really matter. I think in general the comments are pointless and only serve him poorly. An odd ball fan here or a negative journalist there may have said something, but I don't think the average fan feels about it the way Leben clearly seems to. He's projecting and putting himself out there when there's really no need to imo.

Post #5   12/31/10 4:53:58PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,378-1,590
Chips:
I find it terribly sad that anyone felt Leben's comments disrespected the Military. While I have never been in the Military myself I come from a family with a very long history of Military service and combat and I found nothing disrespectful in his comments. On the contrary, I actually found his comments very respectful.

Post #6   12/31/10 6:44:31PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:
He's comparing Stann's life to a superman comic book and basically implying that Stann has lived a very charmed, hunky dory lifestyle where everything is black and white. To think the decisions an infantry platoon leader has to make on a daily basis in combat are black and white is completely ignorant. That's insulting.

I think it's sad that someone actually thinks they could learn through osmosis what being in the military is about.

Post #7   12/31/10 9:02:25PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

He's comparing Stann's life to a superman comic book and basically implying that Stann has lived a very charmed, hunky dory lifestyle where everything is black and white. To think the decisions an infantry platoon leader has to make on a daily basis in combat are black and white is completely ignorant. That's insulting.

I think it's sad that someone actually thinks they could learn through osmosis what being in the military is about.

How was Leben being disrespectful? I don't see it.

Post #8   12/31/10 10:47:35PM   

KingCmb

Standup Guy

KingCmb Avatar

Career:935-862
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

no disrespect to you jackelope but im with the others leben did not disrespect the military at all and i personnaly dont think being military as you put it can change what a man said and didnt say-again though i dont mean to fight ya im just saying

Post #9   1/1/11 12:02:39AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

The only thing I'll say about that is that as a veteran I read those comments an entirely different way than you probably do. To me some of what he said was blatantly disrespectful. I'm sure Stann feels that way too.

Either way in the end it doesn't really matter. I think in general the comments are pointless and only serve him poorly. An odd ball fan here or a negative journalist there may have said something, but I don't think the average fan feels about it the way Leben clearly seems to. He's projecting and putting himself out there when there's really no need to imo.

i absolutely am aware and respect the fact that you would read this differently than me and 100% see where you were coming from. i agree his comments were best left unsaid but i just wanted to point out that we don't know what his camp/his sources are feeding him about his portrayal.

Post #10   1/1/11 3:30:14AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:
To be clear I'm not saying Leben intended to be disrespectful. I don't think he meant to insult Stann or the military or anything. I'm just saying it sounds like a case of diarrhea of the mouth and he would have been better off saying nothing about the matter. And that, to me, he's making it sound like he knows something which he actually has no clue about, and he's pulling the "poor me" card. I probably should have qualified in my original post that I never once thought he intended to be disrespectful.

Post #11   1/1/11 11:28:41AM