Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Todd Duffee's New Year's Gamble

Print  
Posted By Message

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,597-974
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
For a certain kind of MMA fighter, New Year's Eve in Japan represents a simple math problem. It's about risk versus reward, money versus pain and embarrassment, and, more often than not, overflowing optimism versus some very long odds.

Mostly though, it's about money.

That might not be the only reason Todd Duffee reportedly agreed to end a tumultuous 2010 with a fight against Alistair Overeem on this year's Dynamite!! New Year's Eve show, but it's definitely one of the reasons.

Article

An interesting piece on one of the more hyped fights in this week's trio of events.

Post #1   12/28/10 12:33:53PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,796-1,732
Camp: country KO
Chips:
I hope they actually pay him

Post #2   12/28/10 3:36:07PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
Are they even trying to find Overeem competition that's on his level? I'm not bashing Duffee or Overeem, but this is just getting ridiculous.

Overeem is the least impressive champion to me in any organization. He has fought for Strikeforce twice since joining the organization and it appears that either he, or his management team, isn't even trying to find top level competition for him. Outside of the NC with Cro-Cop, and I'm not even sold that Cro-Cop was in top form then either, you have to go back to Pride 33 to find a top level opponent that Overeem has faced.

Duffee could always pull off the upset, but on paper this should be another walk in the park. If Russow could put Duffee to sleep with, I think, the only punch he landed in the fight, I shudder to think of what Overeem is going to do to Duffee.

Enough is enough, either vacate the SF HW title and keep fighting for Dynamite and DREAM or step up to the plate and take on some unsafe fights.

EDIT: By unsafe, I mean fights that actually challenge him and aren't what you would call a "safe" fight with barely any chance of losing.

Last edited 12/28/10 9:50PM server time by blueskiesburn
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   12/28/10 9:48:29PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,597-974
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Are they even trying to find Overeem competition that's on his level? I'm not bashing Duffee or Overeem, but this is just getting ridiculous.

Overeem is the least impressive champion to me in any organization. He has fought for Strikeforce twice since joining the organization and it appears that either he, or his management team, isn't even trying to find top level competition for him. Outside of the NC with Cro-Cop, and I'm not even sold that Cro-Cop was in top form then either, you have to go back to Pride 33 to find a top level opponent that Overeem has faced.

Duffee could always pull off the upset, but on paper this should be another walk in the park. If Russow could put Duffee to sleep with, I think, the only punch he landed in the fight, I shudder to think of what Overeem is going to do to Duffee.

Enough is enough, either vacate the SF HW title and keep fighting for Dynamite and DREAM or step up to the plate and take on some unsafe fights.

EDIT: By unsafe, I mean fights that actually challenge him and aren't what you would call a "safe" fight with barely any chance of losing.

Well stated. I wonder what Overeem's motivation for fighting is. He will do a kickboxing tourney and fight three guys in one night, but he is virtually inactive as a mixed martial artist.

Is kickboxing his real love, his real career focus? Is he just trying to cash in on New Year's Eve, when the Japanese traditionally put together the most ridiculous fights, to get a paycheck and a fight with a tomato can? (Not calling Duffee a can, but you know what I mean)

I wonder.

Post #4   12/29/10 1:21:14PM   

deck15

MMA Regular

Career:481-348
Chips:
I don't know why people are making Duffee out to be some bum. He's has lost 1 time and comes from 2 of the best camps in the world ATT and Extreme Coture which means means his wrestling and bjj should be better and everyone knows he can throw some bombs. I know he isn't anywhere on the same level striking but he's got big power shots and Overeem has been ko and sub'd before.

Post #5   12/29/10 6:09:05PM