Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Dave Meltzer: 'Brock Lesnar is looking for a way out of the UFC'

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by warglory

It's unfortunate how quickly people dismiss Lesnar. From the very beginning Brock has never received the respect he deserves, and now when a wrasslin "insider" throws Brock under the bus, everyone is back on the Lesnar witchhunt, despite him being a 2x defending UFC champion. Brock deserves more respect.

I agree with this as well. I dislike his personality as much as anyone, but I also don't let my feelings colour my logical analysis of a fighter's skill set, and I think it's been pretty clear since his first UFC fight that Brock is the real deal. Think about how much this guy accomplished with pretty much ZERO training. He's beaten a lot of the toughest guys in the division, the choke he got on Carwin was very impressive, he has solid wrestling, and of course his striking is rudimentary with a total of maybe 1 year of real training if you consider his layoff due to illness.

The guy is obviously a freak of an athlete and even though his personality sucks he does deserve a certain amount of respect for what he's been able to accomplish IMO, and he can still beat just about everyone in the HW division on any given day pretty convincingly.

Post #16   12/27/10 10:23:13PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
He doesn't like to get hit
He needs to learn to take a hit and not run away

Post #17   12/27/10 10:53:42PM   

TimW001

MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar

Career:724-436
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by kevietre

He could just be taking some time off. The fight was only 2 months ago and he took it pretty quickly after the Carwin fight coming back from his illness. I'm not saying I don't believe this, but I think this guy Dave Meltzer is blowing it out of proportion to get notariety.

I'm assuming you have no idea who Dave Meltzer is. If he's talking about it, there is something to it.

Got that right.

Post #18   12/28/10 1:50:59AM   

vomitshovel

MMA Regular

vomitshovel Avatar

Career:136-93
Camp: Xtreme Fight Militia
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Guy doesnt like to get hit.

Simple as that.
Yes he had good fights, and beat some big names. But a fighter needs heart and the desire to win further than the paycheck. Brock was very good but i don't feel he "loves" MMA, i think it was always a business move to him.
Hope he has a good life and is proud of the waves he made in MMA.

Post #19   12/28/10 6:46:31AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,848-1,057
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by warglory

It's unfortunate how quickly people dismiss Lesnar. From the very beginning Brock has never received the respect he deserves, and now when a wrasslin "insider" throws Brock under the bus, everyone is back on the Lesnar witchhunt, despite him being a 2x defending UFC champion. Brock deserves more respect.

I mostly agree. MMA fans are the ultimate bandwagon jumpers. Lesnar's career has seen that general pattern amplified. Six months ago, you'd see threads about Lesnar being unbeatable, now people say hes a bum who can't take a punch. Neither has ever been true. He's a brilliant physical specimen with great wrestling, and a natural understanding of how to win a fight. To do what Brock did by winning th belt against Couture so little experience in MMA is remarkable. That said, Brock was not a natural to the striking game, and never really showed any defensive striking. People say that he doesn't like to get punched, but that is bs. The problem is he can't stop a punch, nor avoid one. He took huge punishment against Carwin and Cain, and showed a hell of a chin and a defense that consisted of leaning over like Bob Sapp. I blame that as much on his coaches as anything. It always seemed like they tried to accentuate his strengths rather than work towards the well-roundedness that leads to consistency over a long career.
If he retires now, he should be remembered as a HW champ whose star power was hugely beneficial for the UFC at a time when the traditional UFC big names (Randy, Chuck, Hughes, Franklin, Tito, etc.) were faltering, and whose transition straight into the big leagues is the most impressive in MMA history.

Meltzer is one of the original mma journalists, not just a wrasslin' "insider". He is legit.

Post #20   12/28/10 10:21:57AM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
I dont care if he returns, I got to see him twirl around and flail his arms like a girl while recieving a serious arse whoopin, and thats all I ever wanted from Lesnar, and im happy

He had enough money to begin with, and the UFC made him alot more so if he does walk away, he's still a smart business man and will probably make a killing doing something else, probably wrestling again. props to him

Last edited 12/28/10 11:22AM server time by beer
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #21   12/28/10 11:22:06AM   

marcoDGK

Standup Guy

marcoDGK Avatar

Career:317-259
Camp: DGK
Chips:
Like I said from the begining of his MMA carrer, he is over hyped. The UFC just wanted him on top so bad. I bet he is just looking for a way out because his stomach is still messed up from the Bean Burritos and Coronas he had.

Post #22   12/28/10 2:15:21PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,255-1,187
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by marcoDGK

Like I said from the begining of his MMA carrer, he is over hyped. The UFC just wanted him on top so bad. I bet he is just looking for a way out because his stomach is still messed up from the Bean Burritos and Coronas he had.

And you were wrong from the beginning. He absolutely lived up to the hype by winning the HW championship in the sport's top promotion.

Brock's weakness was exposed. By no means does that mean he was overhyped. This isn't Kimbo we're talking about. Brocks skills, as limited as they may be, are definitely legit.

Last edited 12/28/10 2:25PM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #23   12/28/10 2:23:43PM   

marcoDGK

Standup Guy

marcoDGK Avatar

Career:317-259
Camp: DGK
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by marcoDGK

And you were wrong from the beginning. He absolutely lived up to the hype by winning the HW championship in the sport's top promotion.

Brock's weakness was exposed. By no means does that mean he was overhyped. This isn't Kimbo we're talking about. Brocks skills, as limited as they may be, are definitely legit.

IMO, it's all hype. Skills are legit but hyped up to be more than they are. We have had this argument before and I said I would stop talking ish if he beat Carwin. I stopped talking ish and this made me say something. I just don't think he is a legit fighter. IMO- he fought crappy competition and had a huge size advantage over Randy. The Carwin fight made me shut up but if Carwin knew how to fight past the first round he would have taken it.

Post #24   12/28/10 2:55:10PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
I think some people seem to forget that it is easy to be confident and optimistic when you're winning and not getting hurt and on the flip side lose confidence and be unmotivated after losing and getting beat up.

I am going to make a bold statement and say that we are all like this. It just depends on the degree. If we weren't sports psychologists would not have a job.

That being said, I wouldn't blame Brock or any other fighter for dropping out of MMA, particularly if they had other means of income.

Post #25   12/28/10 3:48:13PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by Rush

I think some people seem to forget that it is easy to be confident and optimistic when you're winning and not getting hurt and on the flip side lose confidence and be unmotivated after losing and getting beat up.

I am going to make a bold statement and say that we are all like this. It just depends on the degree. If we weren't sports psychologists would not have a job.

That being said, I wouldn't blame Brock or any other fighter for dropping out of MMA, particularly if they had other means of income.

I would agree with this sentiment. When I submitted the first copy of my Masters thesis it got shredded by my committee and I was so dejected I didn't look at it for over a month. I thought about switching over to the teaching track and taking the easy way out.

It's a rough thing to deal with. People usually look for the path of least resistance. In Brock's case, he has a shitload of money and no real need to continue to put his body on the line. Brock could EASILY find a well paying job that doesn't require him to place his health on the line every time he wants a paycheck. If he did walk away, I wouldn't blame him. I still respect him.

Post #26   12/28/10 6:15:41PM   

GSPCanada

Standup Guy

Career:637-415
Chips:
There's a lot of ways to look at this but in my opinion brock is a physical specimen and a great wrestler. but the ufc knew that and they knew they could build themselves a superstar. look at the money they paid brock for his first fight with frank mir, a fight which could have easily been won by brock had he not been so reckless, the heath herring fight was impressive but not title contender impressive, we all kno the couture fight was a match made in heaven with their fight styles and brocks speed and size. and frank mir II was better but still a good matchup, the only fight i believe the ufc didn't hand brock was the carwin fight and we all know if carwin didn't gas it would have been over in the second.

I think the person who should be the most embarrassed is dana white. if brock lesnar walks away from the sport dana will look like a fool for praising brock the way he did, consider all the things he said about fedor and then look who he hyped up

Post #27   12/29/10 12:10:40AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by GSPCanada

There's a lot of ways to look at this but in my opinion brock is a physical specimen and a great wrestler. but the ufc knew that and they knew they could build themselves a superstar. look at the money they paid brock for his first fight with frank mir, a fight which could have easily been won by brock had he not been so reckless, the heath herring fight was impressive but not title contender impressive, we all kno the couture fight was a match made in heaven with their fight styles and brocks speed and size. and frank mir II was better but still a good matchup, the only fight i believe the ufc didn't hand brock was the carwin fight and we all know if carwin didn't gas it would have been over in the second.

I think the person who should be the most embarrassed is dana white. if brock lesnar walks away from the sport dana will look like a fool for praising brock the way he did, consider all the things he said about fedor and then look who he hyped up

I don't think that Dana needs to be embarrassed by anything. Brock more than got the ratings the heavyweight division needed so badly and, while it's not fully loaded yet, he has brought the UFC HW division back to relevant status. I don't think anyone, myself included, thought that Carwin-Lesnar was going the full five. I didn't expect it to reach the midway point of the third round.

The fight might not have ended how many people wanted it to end, but it was a great fight. It had everything a classic sports match-up has. The two biggest dudes/teams on the largest stage battling it out for the championship. Brock was down and out early and made an impressive comeback to win in a fashion that nobody had every seen him win before.

Just because it lasted less than 10 minutes doesn't mean it was any less impressive. The champion faced tremendous adversity and found a way to win in spite of that adversity.

This happens all the time in sports and people applaud these efforts. They talk about how great of a game it was, this, that, and the other. With Brock, all I've heard people say is that Carwin gassed and that's the only reason he lost.

Dana brought a warrior to the UFC when he brought Lesnar. I'd still take Lesnar over anyone not named Cain Velasquez in the HW division.

Post #28   12/29/10 12:26:25AM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:
I mean as naive as this may sound. If your Dana and this guy doesn't want to fight then let him do what he wants. Make sure he'll never be able to go to another MMA promotion and send him on his way. It's not like he's trying to leave the promotion with the title and never being beaten.

Lensar did far more than most expected and gave the UFC EXACTLY what they needed. They got a monster HW champion that was a huge draw and smashed guys. Then he was beaten and Cain is now an established HW champion BECAUSE he beat Lesnar. Now he beat Nog and others no doubt that may establish him even more to hardcore fans but to the regular joe the hype Cain has now is "oh shoot he's the guy who crushed Lesnar!" That's his claim to fame and that's thanks to Lesnar.

I know it's about the money that Lesnar brings to the UFC but I'd rather not see Lesnar come in not trained and just trying to get out of his contract by fulfilling his last fight. Let him ride off into the WWE sunset where he will have a job that makes him more money for less of a schedule.

Imo I think Lesnar has accomplished more than the UFC hoped for and now it's time for him to be allowed to leave.

Post #29   12/29/10 12:37:32PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
I really hope this isn't true because I've always rooted for Lesnar and have been a huge fan since his first fight with Mir. But I guess it makes sense he took a pretty bad beating if he wants to leave so be it but I will miss him.

Post #30   12/29/10 10:35:20PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3