Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Story Calls Out Thiago Alves

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,926-1,070
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
After outpointing Johny Hendricks on Dec. 4 for his fifth straight win in the UFC, Rick Story knows whom he wants to fight next.

“I want to fight Thiago [Alves],” Story said recently during a “Savage Dog Show” interview on the Sherdog Radio Network.

Alves, ranked No. 3 in the world, would be a significant step up in competition. That’s one reason why Story wants a piece of “The Pitbull.”

“I know that somebody like Thiago Alves, beating him, it would make people realize, ‘This guy is for real,’” Story said. “I just want everybody to know that I am for real and I’m not going to stop until I get that number one spot.”

The 26-year-old Story had a strong year in 2010. He went 4-0, including a stoppage of Dustin Hazelett. Against Hendricks he outwrestled a former NCAA champion and showed a more advanced MMA game.

LINK

Post #1   12/24/10 12:16:46PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
You've got to admire the dudes balls! Its a huge step up from Hendricks to Alves. Maybe give him Hardy or Condit to see if he can hang with top 10 guys first before throwing him in at the deep end and waiting to see if he sinks or swims.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #2   12/24/10 12:33:09PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,355-1,244
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
This would be an all out war. My heart would want Story to win but I think my brain would pick Alves (if he looks anything like he did his last time out).

Post #3   12/24/10 2:00:26PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,606-1,380
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
The guy has like 5 wins in a row he needs a top 5 guy
Alves would be perfect for him

I bet this match will happen
Or dan hardy vs story would be good

Post #4   12/24/10 3:47:44PM   

teddythetuna

In Full Mount

teddythetuna Avatar

Career:1,164-752
Chips:
I say Hardy-Story and Condit-Alves

Post #5   12/24/10 4:34:15PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
War The Horror Story

Post #6   12/24/10 8:05:18PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,588-965
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Rick Story is a bad man. I don't know about the rest of you, but I found his win against Johnny Hendricks very impressive. Hendricks is a beast as much as The Horror is. I feel they both have a bright future ahead of them.

Having said that I think this fight would be brutal. And while Alves looked good against John Howard, I feel Story is more complete and would give The Pitbull a little more of a challenge.

Post #7   12/24/10 9:17:59PM   

chickmagnet

MMA Sensei

chickmagnet Avatar

Career:529-344
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
Calling out Alves is a good way to get knocked out.

Post #8   12/25/10 1:28:24AM   

Tyzzler

MMA Regular

Tyzzler Avatar

Career:291-233
Chips:
Is anyone else straight sick and tired of the whole "calling out" thing. I hate it when guys call others out obviously to get a step up in competition and climb the ladder. I respect it a lot more when asked who a fighter wants to fight out they just say somethin like 'I'm ready for a step up for some high level competition, whoever they'll put in front of me I'll fight.' That's better than calling out a higher level guy just because you think stylistically that you have the better edge. Rivalry callouts are a different story like Miller/Diaz or Cerrone calling out Cole Miller. Obviously Cole's not a career-elevating fight for Cerrone, but for some personal reasons Cerrone wants the fight. That's the only time "call-outs" should happen in my opinion.

Post #9   12/25/10 3:10:05AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Story needs a big fight, but Alves is too far up the ladder imo.
(Story already beat Ellenberger)
so

Story

vs Hardy

vs Diego v Martin winner

vs Almeida

Are the fighters I think are a good next step for the Horror Story

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Last edited 12/25/10 11:01AM server time by icantthinkofanything
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   12/25/10 11:01:03AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

This would be an all out war. My heart would want Story to win but I think my brain would pick Alves (if he looks anything like he did his last time out).

Agreed. Had I seen this after Alves vs. Fitch and Story vs .Hazelett, I would be picking Story. However, Alves looked really good in his last fight.

Post #11   12/25/10 4:57:51PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by Tyzzler

Is anyone else straight sick and tired of the whole "calling out" thing. I hate it when guys call others out obviously to get a step up in competition and climb the ladder. I respect it a lot more when asked who a fighter wants to fight out they just say somethin like 'I'm ready for a step up for some high level competition, whoever they'll put in front of me I'll fight.' That's better than calling out a higher level guy just because you think stylistically that you have the better edge. Rivalry callouts are a different story like Miller/Diaz or Cerrone calling out Cole Miller. Obviously Cole's not a career-elevating fight for Cerrone, but for some personal reasons Cerrone wants the fight. That's the only time "call-outs" should happen in my opinion.

Yes and no.

I understand the purpose(s) for calling out a fighter.

1) It's like getting a raise at work. You are more likely to get one if you ask.
2) As you said, some people have a grudge and want to settle it in the ring.
3) Also as you mentioned, some fighters feel they match up well stylistically or are interested in testing their skills against interesting fighters.
4) Some times it may also boil down to them answering a question in an interview and then all of a sudden it gets inflated to someone calling out someone.

So in that regard, I don't have a problem with "calling out"

However, I generally don't care for the fighters that say "so and so is a little bitch and I want to fight him". I think it is just immature and unprofessional. I don't buy into the "hyping the card" explanation for it because most of the call outs involve fighters that more hardcore fans know and are restricted to internet media exposure. That being said, I don't feel that a significant number of tickets or PPVs are sold because of a call out or low profile grudge.

Post #12   12/25/10 5:07:23PM   

Bloodhound

Standup Guy

Bloodhound Avatar

Career:1,054-599
Chips:
should be a good fight, I think Alves will keep it standing and get the T/KO but you cant count Story out hes tough.

Post #13   12/25/10 11:55:17PM