Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Any other Judo Practioners here?

Print  
Posted By Message

Taylor8766

Belt Contender

Taylor8766 Avatar

Career:740-512
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
I moved back home a couple months ago and just recently I started taking judo, and I'm really enjoying it, I just got my gi last week and have been to five classes. I cant wait to compete however my sensei says that I gotta learn a few more things before I can compete, which is understandable. i was just wondering if anyone else on here has done some judo, and what belt rank they have and if they've ever competed.

Post #1   12/20/10 9:43:42PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
i competed when i was younger. judo is good for mma also, cause it helps in the clinch. either way judo is an awesome sport. i got a green belt a long time ago. godd luck with your judo career

Post #2   12/21/10 3:18:11AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,476-1,422
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
My mom was a brown belt, which is shocking considering she gets destroyed when we turn my 3 & 4 year old nieces & nephews loose on her at family gatherings. My whole family wrestled, and we are all pretty competitive so family gatherings turn into backyard wrestling events fairly often and the main event is usually the kids destroying grandma. We probably aren't very good people...

Anyway, so yeah my grandpa was a police chief and wanted his 2 daughters to be able to protect themselves so they took judo for years and I only found out about it a few years back when she found her belt.

Good luck with it, it was on my to do list before the latest ACL surgery and now it just isn't going to happen.

Post #3   12/21/10 10:57:22AM   

vomitshovel

MMA Regular

vomitshovel Avatar

Career:136-93
Camp: Xtreme Fight Militia
Chips:
I've JUST JUST found a good judo school here and will be starting next week.
Guess we in the same boat i'm just a little behind :P

Post #4   12/22/10 1:55:40AM   

Taylor8766

Belt Contender

Taylor8766 Avatar

Career:740-512
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:

Posted by vomitshovel

I've JUST JUST found a good judo school here and will be starting next week.
Guess we in the same boat i'm just a little behind :P

yeah eh thats cool, have to keep in touch when we get to the top

Post #5   12/22/10 12:05:27PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:
I took a couple Judo classes at the BJJ/MMA gym I attend, and I liked it, but I ended up feeling like I was in a car crash afterwards, so I didn't continue to go. I work construction so my job isn't exactly forgiving if you come to work sore as hell. I'd like to do it again, but I need to learn how to fall better first. Too many awkward crashes to the mat were not a real great thing. I was concerned about injuring one of my shoulders. Good luck to you.

Post #6   12/22/10 4:13:13PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
I did it in undergrad because it was the only thing available. I got my blue belt doing one class a week during the school year for 4 years. It was ok, though I wish my school was a little more serious in their training because I think I would have learned more.

Post #7   12/23/10 11:17:12PM