Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Anthony Pettis' Striking Coach Duke Roufus Talks About 'Showtime' Kick

Print  
Posted By Message

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
It was the Kick Heard 'Round the World, a climbing, twisting, off-the-wall, out-of-the-video-games-and-into-Ben-Henderson's-face, mind-scrambler of a strike in the 25th and final minute of a WEC championship match that shot Anthony Pettis into the consciousness of sports fans everywhere.

While his aim is to stay there for more than just one night, it's safe to say that regardless of his future, the 23-year-old cemented himself a place in MMA history by authoring one of the sport's most incredible moments.

Link

I want more!!!

Post #1   12/17/10 3:50:54PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:535-379
Chips:
sickest kick ive ever seen

Post #2   12/17/10 5:19:16PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,637-1,512
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
It looked like he tried something I've only seen done at practice during the fight, but it lead to a TD. When Bendo had double underhooks while they were against the fence it looked like Showtime tried to push both Bendo's hands down and jump out of his grip It didn't work and he ended up getting taken down, but watch for that one again, I'm sure he's going to go to the well on that one again.

Post #3   12/17/10 5:26:17PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by tcunningham

I just got done watching the fight and I'm going to watch it again later. Most unbelievable thing I've ever seen. I'm bummed Benson lost, but damn was that kick ridiculous.

Post #4   12/17/10 5:29:42PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
The only way that could've been any crazier was if Henderson was knocked out cold by it. It really was like something out of a movie fight scene where you would say "pffft as if that would ever happen in real life"

Post #5   12/17/10 6:18:56PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,522-905
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by Aether

The only way that could've been any crazier was if Henderson was knocked out cold by it. It really was like something out of a movie fight scene where you would say "pffft as if that would ever happen in real life"

Or if Pettis had done A) a back-flip kick
B) A 360 while in the air

Post #6   12/17/10 6:47:26PM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:

Posted by tcunningham

Sickest MOVE I've ever seen in a real fight, PERIOD!!

Post #7   12/17/10 6:48:41PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,598-933
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I just found out that I went to school with Anthony Pettis' cousin, because his cousin is going around bragging about this kick.

Post #8   12/17/10 9:51:45PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,554-840
Chips:
Yeah, that kick was insane. Right up there with Toby Imada's standing inverted triangle as far as highlights that I've sen since I started following the sport.

The only thing that really sad about the kick is the fact that it's going to be replayed for the rest of time with Stephen Bonnar on color commentary. "like a ninja." That's just retarded (no offense to retarded people mind you). But really?! That's the best we can do in that instance? When you think of some of the greatest sports plays in history- the "Down goes Fraiser!"s of the world; "Like a ninja" just seems to fall a bit short.

Post #9   12/18/10 1:23:43AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by bojangalz

Yeah, that kick was insane. Right up there with Toby Imada's standing inverted triangle as far as highlights that I've sen since I started following the sport.

The only thing that really sad about the kick is the fact that it's going to be replayed for the rest of time with Stephen Bonnar on color commentary. "like a ninja." That's just retarded (no offense to retarded people mind you). But really?! That's the best we can do in that instance? When you think of some of the greatest sports plays in history- the "Down goes Fraiser!"s of the world; "Like a ninja" just seems to fall a bit short.

Agreed but his immediate reaction screaming over the top of Todd Harris was pretty much everyones first reaction so we have that to run with.

Post #10   12/18/10 8:41:15AM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,496-1,495
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

It looked like he tried something I've only seen done at practice during the fight, but it lead to a TD. When Bendo had double underhooks while they were against the fence it looked like Showtime tried to push both Bendo's hands down and jump out of his grip It didn't work and he ended up getting taken down, but watch for that one again, I'm sure he's going to go to the well on that one again.

yea i also noticed that..as my face was straight glued to the t.v..he always shows things that u never seen before in a REAL fight..like the Roller match, when he did those kicks, n to even do those u have to touch the ground wit a hand(u have to see it to understand or if u remember it)..i have never pickd against Showtime till this fight..but Henderson gon win two FotY awards..cuz i think he won FotY wit Cerrone n now one wit Showtime, nice!..excited for all three of those guys to enter the ufc lw division..the most entertainin division jus got upgraded w/o needin it...

Post #11   12/18/10 8:52:26AM