Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Could UFC's Return To Brazil Also Mean Royce Gracie's Return To UFC?

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,352-1,258
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Who would he face at welterweight???

Post #16   12/16/10 8:30:41PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,462-848
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by emfleek

I'd like an order of "no thanks", hold the nostalgia.

If its the right opponent I'm not against it. He fought Hughes when Hughes was still on top of his game, that was kind of throwing him to the wolves. If he drew an established guy like Trigg, Baroni, etc., that wasn't one of the top dogs I wouldn't be opposed to it. Believe in something man!!!

That's how I feel.
I mean think about Bas' return. He fought Rube Villereal. It was suppose to be Kimo but still, just imagine the huge difference in opponents their. Royce had a lot of guts taking on a guy considered the overall greatest WW of all time. I don't think Royce would fair well against the majority of WW's in the UFC but with the UFC coming back to Brazil I find the only way to make it appropriate is to have Royce their.Fighting.

Post #17   12/16/10 10:26:22PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:1,960-1,212
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
please don't Royce

Post #18   12/16/10 11:28:53PM   

Cobbs666

Standup Guy

Cobbs666 Avatar

Career:1,063-740
Camp: *TeaM SaTaN*
Chips:
Would be good, but even better would be a Gracie's vs. Mick Foley and Terry Funk in a no holds barred hell in a cell match, or the first ever UFC ladder match for the titles

Post #19   12/16/10 11:35:08PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Matt Hughes beat those guys, but Hughes is a legend also, whos bigger and stronger..

but the right matchups would work. Gracies should fight somewhere near the bottom of the division, no offense to Gracies, but it has been a while since they were title material.

Palhares or Maia vs Royce- that would be a tough fight for Royce, even at 170, but would be great bjj.

Renzo vs Bocek or Hazelet

George sotirop vs Royce at catchweight

The gracies should lose, but they should be matched with bjj/grapplers to showcase their skills, no standup guys.

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Last edited 12/17/10 10:14AM server time by icantthinkofanything
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #20   12/17/10 9:59:55AM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
Let's go back to the roots of the sport. Style vs style match up. Royce vs Tooney!

Seriously though, maybe an exhiition match or something. It would not be much different than Coleman, Liddell, Hughes, Couture, etc at this point in their careers. None are challenging for a title again.

Post #21   12/17/10 1:20:35PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

I'm not sure whether this would be genius or moronic.

On the one hand, the Gracie family name means a lot in Brazil. Most of the Jiu Jitsu guys I know still say the name 'Gracie' like its 'Jesus.' It could be that this would be very important for Brazilian fans.

On the other hand, that might be simplifying the Brazilian fans too much. Educated fans are aware that neither of these guys is still relevant in the sport today. They have a lot of other fighters to be proud of. This isn't like having a card in Germany where you have to struggle to find world class MMA talent. Brazilians have always made up a large share of the top fighters. It may be that they'd appreciate a current brazilian star (Rua, Machida, Silva, Silva, Silva, Silva) more than a historical one.

^^
This is about a good as it gets for a response to this.

I was a huge Gracie fan back in the day. I still appreciate what they did, but lets be serious, I can't think of a Gracie that is really all that relevant in top level MMA.

To be honest, I can't blame them. I mean, their BJJ is the bread and butter of the family both for image and money. They still dominate the BJJ/submission grappling scene quite a bit. Given how much money they could lose with shoddy MMA showings (via tarnished image) vs. how little typical MMA promoters could pay them to show, I think the decision is pretty easy.

Post #22   12/17/10 6:58:51PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by icantthinkofanything

but they should be matched with bjj/grapplers to showcase their skills, no standup guys.

Even when they are even out-struck by guys like Matt Hughes?

Post #23   12/17/10 7:01:26PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2