Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

University of Iowa Admits To Flaws In Testing Program

Print  
Posted By Message

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
Iowa admitted to finding "flaws and inconsistencies" in its student-athlete drug-testing program in the wake of last week's drug-related arrest of wide receiver Derrell Johnson-Koulianos, but the school isn't penalizing any more football players at this time.

Athletic director Gary Barta said Tuesday that the school reviewed its testing program after Johnson-Koulianos' arrest and found "pretty strong evidence" that student-athletes likely have found ways to get around the tests. Iowa conducted its regular testing last week and has found no specific instances of wrongdoing.

Article

Okay, this is the most ridiculous thing ever. I never thought a university could be this stupid, but I was wrong. Iowa students actually ones that actually drug test the athletes. Can't imagine why they have a drug problem or think that there are holes in their "testing policy."

They didn't even know that one of their players was living with a drug dealer.

Yeah, I'd say your drug program needs to be revisited.

Last edited 12/14/10 2:58PM server time by BlueSkiesBurn
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   12/14/10 2:57:30PM   

Thefridge1337

MMA Regular

Thefridge1337 Avatar

Career:763-498
Chips:
I go to Iowa and a lot of the players on the team smoke. I have smoked with Stanzi and Adam Robinson. It is quite well know that Iowa Football has a drug problem on campus. I can't wait to see who gets caught with cocaine.

Post #2   12/14/10 3:46:13PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Thefridge1337

I go to Iowa and a lot of the players on the team smoke. I have smoked with Stanzi and Adam Robinson. It is quite well know that Iowa Football has a drug problem on campus. I can't wait to see who gets caught with cocaine.

Ironically enough, my issue isn't with the players smoking weed or doing various other drugs. That's not why I am calling them stupid. The reason I'm referring to this incident as the most ridiculous thing I've heard of and saying that the university is dumb is because of their policies.

No university should be allowing other students to conduct the drug testing. That's completely ignorant. Outside non-partisan agencies should be used to conduct these tests.

Furthermore, what football team isn't aware that a player is living with a drug dealer? This isn't an agent scandal or a taking improper benefits scandal; it's a drug dealer. There's not a lot of work that needs to be done in order to ascertain that illegal activities are taking place in the house. Any compliance department worth their salt should have been able to prevent this one from making headlines.

That's just piss-poor attentiveness by the coaches and compliance department. I'm under no false pretenses that athletes use drugs. I lived in the dorms with our basketball team and used to sit outside with them, drink, and talk sports while they smoked blunts at 1 or 2am. I don't personally smoke weed, but I certainly don't care if someone does.

I guess my point here is that Iowa could have avoided this whole public-relations mess by simply paying attention and not having stupid drug-testing policies in place for their university. As it stands right now, the University of Iowa looks dumber in this whole scenario than the "potheads" they were trying to bust.

Post #3   12/14/10 5:29:46PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,853-1,062
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Thefridge1337

Ironically enough, my issue isn't with the players smoking weed or doing various other drugs. That's not why I am calling them stupid. The reason I'm referring to this incident as the most ridiculous thing I've heard of and saying that the university is dumb is because of their policies.

No university should be allowing other students to conduct the drug testing. That's completely ignorant. Outside non-partisan agencies should be used to conduct these tests.

Furthermore, what football team isn't aware that a player is living with a drug dealer? This isn't an agent scandal or a taking improper benefits scandal; it's a drug dealer. There's not a lot of work that needs to be done in order to ascertain that illegal activities are taking place in the house. Any compliance department worth their salt should have been able to prevent this one from making headlines.

That's just piss-poor attentiveness by the coaches and compliance department. I'm under no false pretenses that athletes use drugs. I lived in the dorms with our basketball team and used to sit outside with them, drink, and talk sports while they smoked blunts at 1 or 2am. I don't personally smoke weed, but I certainly don't care if someone does.

I guess my point here is that Iowa could have avoided this whole public-relations mess by simply paying attention and not having stupid drug-testing policies in place for their university. As it stands right now, the University of Iowa looks dumber in this whole scenario than the "potheads" they were trying to bust.

The testing that was administered by "students" was not a mandatory NCAA thing, it was completely at the discretion of the University of Iowa, and those "students" are med. school students who routinely do all kinds of medical lab. stuff. If they were helping the players pass their tests, they will face just as harsh if not harsher results than any other testing facility. Besides, the testing wasn't the problem. Players have been using "tricks" to pass the tests that would have gotten by anyone who wasn't looking directly at their schlongs (which doesn't usually happen in non-criminal justice settings).
Iowa could have pretty easily ignored the problem and cast off DJK as an isolated incident, but instead they dropped a surprise UA on the entire team which came back with a bunch of positives (although the most realiable reports say 15-17 players, which if you think about it is a lot less than if they just dropped a UA on a 150 college guys). Because of this, they will be enhancing their testing procedures. As a fan who was ready to blow up on the Hawkeyes when I first heard the news, I am pretty happy with the way the school and the coach has handled everything since the sting on DJK.

That said, this is a huge black eye for a program that prides itself on self-restraint and dedication. They have had problems with DJK for years, and instead of dropping him like a bad habit they kept going to the well like a drug habit. I have many friends in Iowa City, and it has been well-known for a long time that DJK was involved in the coke scene. It was the joke of the town, and created huge speculation about the whole team. Not only did Iowa drop the ball by not paying attention to where/how DJK was living, but they lost control of the team as rifts emerged between the clean players and the ones who were partying. This was an extremely disappointing year, and it is becoming pretty clear why. The Hawkeyes only get 1 or 2 four-star recruits a year, so for them to win they have to play together as a team and believe in the system. That's alot harder to do when you wonder if they guy next to you is high on cocaine.

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #4   12/15/10 5:44:28AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ncordless

The testing that was administered by "students" was not a mandatory NCAA thing, it was completely at the discretion of the University of Iowa, and those "students" are med. school students who routinely do all kinds of medical lab. stuff. If they were helping the players pass their tests, they will face just as harsh if not harsher results than any other testing facility. Besides, the testing wasn't the problem. Players have been using "tricks" to pass the tests that would have gotten by anyone who wasn't looking directly at their schlongs (which doesn't usually happen in non-criminal justice settings).

This illustrates my point precisely. What's the point in saying that your program administers random testing to ensure compliance if they're half-assing it? Do you see what I'm saying? Smart players know that they can you masking agents or "the Whizzinator" to pass their tests. Actually, smart players just wouldn't use illegal drugs, but I'm gonna operate under the assumption that players will use.

While I understand that these med students routinely do this and face stiff penalties, you're still giving students of Iowa the chance to ensure that the players of Iowa COULD potentially pass a dirty UA.

Being a law student, you know as well as anyone that this is a major conflict of interest. Just because they're supposed to conduct themselves as per the guidelines of the AMA doesn't mean that they will. One would hope that they would, and I would imagine that 95% of them do so, but you cannot allow your university to conduct these tests. You need to be sending the players to an outside agency with no ties to the program.

That is my issue with their presser. They basically admitted that they don't conform to compliance standards and that they have serious conflicts of interest in their testing policies.

Post #5   12/15/10 11:08:25AM