Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Jake vs. GSP next???

Print  
who will win in a 5 round fight?
GSP 68 88%
Jake Shields 9 12%
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Taylor8766

Belt Contender

Taylor8766 Avatar

Career:740-512
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
GSP is just to dominate right now, he will out strike, out wrestle, and even out JJ Shields, plus he has way better cardio.

Post #16   12/14/10 6:06:19PM   

soundboy1

Standup Guy

soundboy1 Avatar

Career:521-395
Chips:
GSP vs Kos was one of the most boring fights I've ever seen. Does GSP even consider finishing fights? I mean he controlled this fight from the 2nd round on. He could have ended the fight whenever he chose. What's the point of making it go 5 rounds?

I could really care less who wins GSP vs. Shields. Just thinking about it makes me sleepy...

Post #17   12/14/10 6:29:08PM   

Bloodhound

Standup Guy

Bloodhound Avatar

Career:1,054-599
Chips:
GSP woudl out strike Sheilds for 5 rounds or T/KO him fi he got aggresive

Post #18   12/14/10 7:20:27PM   

Cdellorso

In Full Mount

Cdellorso Avatar

Career:647-447
Camp: Wild Wind
Chips:
he was way to cautous against Kos..... he should have finished the one eyed willy....

Post #19   12/14/10 8:49:18PM   

CCPRIDE99

Standup Guy

CCPRIDE99 Avatar

Career:1,224-710
Chips:

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by FastKnockout

Shields is the only opponent left that could give GSP a competitive fight. I don't think it will be an exciting fight, and the only reason I'll probably tune in is to watch GSP continue his reign over the division.

I don't think Shields will be very competitive at all. Shields has worse striking than Koscheck and I doubt Shields' wrestling is as good... Maybe GSP can finish Shields.

EDIT: Oh, as some others have mentioned, Shields conditioning didn't look very good the last time we saw him fight. That's not good.

I wouldn't mind seeing GSP fight Ben Askren just because I think Ben would be able to take GSP down more than past opponents, and we don't get to see GSP on his back very often.
Do I realistically think Askren would win? Nope. But I would just like to see how GSP's wrestling stacks up.

you just brought the idea of koscheck vs askren to my mind. god id love to see that

Post #20   12/15/10 2:32:09PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,174-1,480
Chips:
When GSP has beaten Carlos Condit, Martin Kampmann and Nate Diaz then he has "cleaned out the division". As far as GSP vs. Silva goes...I see no reason for it either. The days of the "Superfights" are long gone. However, if GSP does decide to make a permanent move to 185, we actually might see such a contest.

Post #21   12/15/10 2:41:25PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:

Posted by soundboy1

GSP vs Kos was one of the most boring fights I've ever seen. Does GSP even consider finishing fights? I mean he controlled this fight from the 2nd round on. He could have ended the fight whenever he chose. What's the point of making it go 5 rounds?

I could really care less who wins GSP vs. Shields. Just thinking about it makes me sleepy...

Pardon my asking... But what the hell does GSP need to do to impress you? Would you rather he fight to 10-15th best fighters in the division so he can tap/tko them in the first? Or would you rather he face the ABSOLUTE BEST opponents on the planet in his weight division?

Kos reportedly had his orbital bone broken with the first punch of the fight. Any man who endures that amount of pain over the course of the next 25 minutes clearly isn't one to be beaten easily.

Are you going to tell me that he didn't try to finish Hardy? GSP was giving up top position in an effort to tap Hardy who is quite obviously not one to be put away easily either.

GSP tore his groin against Alves to the point most keyboard warriors wouldn't be able to get out of their chair and yet he went out and worked him over for the final two rounds of their fight.

He put such a sustained ass beating on BJ that he was too physically and mentally destroyed to answer the bell after 4 rounds.

And before that he gave one of the most one-sided beat downs ever witnessed against Fitch.

Someone please explain to me how that's not impressive. Each and every one of those fighters is either elite, or on the cusp of being elite. There isn't a single fighter in MMA who can claim as tough of a five fight winning streak at any point in MMA history.

Post #22   12/15/10 8:33:54PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
curious to see how shields will look i know the fight vs kammpman he was drained after the weight cut

i do and am looking forward to this fight

but if gsp wins i think he officially has cleaned out the division and he should move up in weight class that being said

winner of penn/ fitch vs winner of condit- lytle for new champ

Post #23   12/16/10 9:33:29AM   

Makaveli158

Learning to Sprawl

Makaveli158 Avatar

Career:387-311
Camp: /r/mma
Chips:
Not many people are giving Shields a chance. But I do, I think Shields has more of a chance at beating GSP than most of GSPs recent opponents. 15 fight win streak, with 8 finishes. Wins over Kampmann, Hendo, Miller, Lawler, Daley, Condit, Okami. He's used to fighting heavier, stronger opponents. Has never been submitted. Only stopped once, early in his career at that. Excellent 26-4 record.His Jits is great, he beat a guy in ADCC that submitted GSP, although some say that doesn't matter. Cesar Gracie has a tough camp and Shields isn't gonna half ass his shot at the UFC Welterweight belt. GSP has the advantage in striking surely, but this won't be a standing war, and Shields may surprise GSP on the ground.

Post #24   12/16/10 3:11:48PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2