Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

where are the heavies???....

Print  
Posted By Message

Cdellorso

In Full Mount

Cdellorso Avatar

Career:647-447
Camp: Wild Wind
Chips:
Its a fact that the HW div isnt stacked.....
But 3 heavyweight fights in the next 5 events.
sad-
Make them big boys fight-
Struve/mcorkle
Barry/ Beltran
and Meathead vs Hague...

wheres the beef-
Does anyone care???

Post #1   12/8/10 10:05:16PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
The UFC has been all about the heavyweights for the last year or so. Most of the major matches have been decided at heavyweight.

Post #2   12/8/10 10:32:27PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
You can't be that suprised with HW's prolly having the least number of fighters and UFC/WEC merger.

Post #3   12/8/10 11:10:04PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,686-1,525
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Where's Mike Russow been since the Duffman KO? I assume it's an injury, but he hasn't really had a heavy workload of fights lately anyway.

Last edited 12/9/10 12:06AM server time by cowcatcher
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   12/9/10 12:05:16AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
TS has a very good point though. over the past few years the heavy weights have fought far fewer times than the other weight classes. also, WW and LW fight far more times than the other weight classes. i guess it is just a matter that there isn't as many top athletes at 265 as there is at 170 and 155.

i would love to see more HW match ups and have similar frustrations. HWs have the highest finish ratio of any other wieght class and everyone loves to see two goliaths go at it.

Post #5   12/9/10 1:30:58AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,552-908
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Heavyweights break down a lot, and suffer many injuries that are never mentioned. The human body wasn't made to be huge and athletic at the same time.

Post #6   12/9/10 9:38:34AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

TS has a very good point though. over the past few years the heavy weights have fought far fewer times than the other weight classes. also, WW and LW fight far more times than the other weight classes. i guess it is just a matter that there isn't as many top athletes at 265 as there is at 170 and 155.

i would love to see more HW match ups and have similar frustrations. HWs have the highest finish ratio of any other wieght class and everyone loves to see two goliaths go at it.

I have a theroy on this. Most pro athletes in the 225-265 range are making huge money in the NBA and NFL. But there isn't really a sport for guys 170 and below other then fighting. This is why we see more fighters in this range. Not to mention most men in shape men are under 200 lbs. I think as the sport grows we are going to see alot of athletes who are not good enough for the NBA and NFL going to MMA instead of Arena football CFL international basketball to make there living.

Last edited 12/9/10 12:25PM server time by postman
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   12/9/10 12:21:40PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,247-738
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by postman

I have a theroy on this. Most pro athletes in the 225-265 range are making huge money in the NBA and NFL. But there isn't really a sport for guys 170 and below other then fighting. This is why we see more fighters in this range. Not to mention most men in shape men are under 200 lbs.

Mike Russow, Jason Brilz, Matt Mitrione and not even mentioning Roy Nelson tells you, you don't have to be shape to be a fighter....

Dirty Blue

Post #8   12/9/10 12:26:38PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by jjeans

Posted by postman

I have a theroy on this. Most pro athletes in the 225-265 range are making huge money in the NBA and NFL. But there isn't really a sport for guys 170 and below other then fighting. This is why we see more fighters in this range. Not to mention most men in shape men are under 200 lbs.

Mike Russow, Jason Brilz, Matt Mitrione and not even mentioning Roy Nelson tells you, you don't have to be shape to be a fighter....

I disagree with the assumption that just because someone is "fat" it means they're out of shape. There has actually been a lot of research done on the issue. Such people are the exception and not the rule, but they most definitely exist. And I think we can all agree that if you're athletic enough to make it to the ufc you're more than likely a human "exception".

I personally think the UFC realizes that the more exciting back and forth high paced fights are generally at lower weight classes. I think they throw the fans a bone every now and again when it comes to heavyweight fights, but I think on the whole the UFC knows exciting bouts are often lighter weight ones.

Post #9   12/9/10 12:43:08PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by jjeans

Posted by postman

I disagree with the assumption that just because someone is "fat" it means they're out of shape. There has actually been a lot of research done on the issue. Such people are the exception and not the rule, but they most definitely exist. And I think we can all agree that if you're athletic enough to make it to the ufc you're more than likely a human "exception".

I personally think the UFC realizes that the more exciting back and forth high paced fights are generally at lower weight classes. I think they throw the fans a bone every now and again when it comes to heavyweight fights, but I think on the whole the UFC knows exciting bouts are often lighter weight ones.

Yeah most NFL line man are fat but clearly they are in shape.

Post #10   12/9/10 12:44:46PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
it is absolutely indisputable that the faster, higher paced fights occur at the lighter weights. however, there has always been an allure to the general public when the biggest of the big meet in the center of the ring/octagon. throughout most/all combat sports, the heavyweights have been the biggest draw. i guess it's because the HW champion of a combat sport is most likely "the baddest man on the planet" since theoretically they should beat all champions at the lower weight classes.

i also agree with postman that most top athletes that weigh over 230 are most likely involved in other sports. as MMA gets more popular we are more likely to see more big men turn to the sport, especially if more HW champion collegiate wrestlers see the success of guys like Lesnar, Velasquez and Carwin.

Post #11   12/9/10 4:47:25PM   

copcopps

Manly Midget

copcopps Avatar

Career:1,398-962
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

You can't be that suprised with HW's prolly having the least number of fighters and UFC/WEC merger.

Actually its a tie with HW and 205ers since the WEC dropped the 205 and 185 division before they merged and/or bought out

Post #12   12/10/10 7:00:09PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:
If you go to UFC.com and look at the roster it reads like this
BW-5 fighters
FW - 16 fighters
LW- 57 fighters
WW - 55 fighters
MW - 41 fighters