Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Leonard Garcia Is "Pissed Off" About Joe Rogan's Criticism Of His "Fighting Style"

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
He also adds that he can't fight, as he calls it, Joe Rogan's fighting style. "It does piss me off, because I have nothing to do with the decision. ... it bothers me to hear him say some of that stuff he said. It's kind of a bad deal, but all it's going to do is fire me up for the next one. He talks about certain things that I do in the fight, but that's just my fighting style. I don't fight Joe Rogan's fighting style. I apologize to Joe Rogan, but I can't fight his style. That's not my style of fighting. What makes me who I am is my style of fighting, and people seem to enjoy it. I've won several Fight of the Night [bonuses] because of it, and I enjoy fighting that way. I think it's something the fans deserve, is to see two guys give it their all. And that's one thing I know about myself is I go out there and give it my all."

Article

Post #1   12/7/10 8:27:28AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,262-1,196
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I'd be willing to guess that Leonard's inability to accept constructive criticism is one of the reasons he fights the way he does. Sorry, but everything Rogan said is correct. Quit putting everything you have behind every punch you throw and you won't blow your wad in the 1st round every time you fight.

I like watching Garcia fight but I don't know if I can handle yelling at my TV anymore.

Last edited 12/7/10 9:11AM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   12/7/10 9:09:06AM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Well, Joe Rogan is right.

Post #3   12/7/10 9:46:01AM   

scpd400

MMA Regular

scpd400 Avatar

Career:1,621-1,138
Camp: Team Topaz
Chips:
Rogan was right but so is a douche nozzle

Post #4   12/7/10 11:02:16AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I dont like watching Garcia fight, he's just sloppy and he trains with one of the better camps and refuses to change his style.

I mean, when he swings like a windmill, you waste more energy when you miss and prolly dont have as much power in those punches as if you threw a punch in a more technical way.

Post #5   12/7/10 12:16:24PM   

FastKnockout

----PAPERBOY----

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,681-939
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The way I see it, fans will never be satisfied. MMA fans are some of the worst in any sport. I hate to admit it, but it's true.

One minute, fans are complaining about fighters such as Jon Fitch who fight with a conservative and safe style. They complain about the lack of action and that he just "lays" on his opponent. The same has been said about GSP in some of his recent fights.

Then when you have a guy that goes in and just brawls, fans complain of sloppy fighting and lack of gameplan. Come on people, stop complaining about everything. Let these guys fight how they want. You don't even have to watch them, and if for some reason you feel that you do, thankfully it will most likely only be for 15 minutes or less once every few months.

Personally, I like Garcia. Do I think he won against Nam? Hell no. We all know Nam won that fight, but I enjoyed watching him none the less. He's a cool guy and obviously just wants to show the fans a good time.

Rogan can be biased, everyone knows this, and he has been known to compare fighting styles to how he would fight. I can see why Garcia is upset. Rogan isn't the one fighting, so there is nothing for him to complain about. We all know that Rogan was upset about Nam getting the short end of the stick, but like Garcia said, he isn't a judge and it's not his fault.

Post #6   12/7/10 1:05:20PM   

Bloodhound

Standup Guy

Bloodhound Avatar

Career:1,054-599
Chips:
thats his fighting style and thats the way he fights and thats fine its his choice to fight how he wants to but at the same time Rogan is just doing his job and analyzing the fight so Garcia should take the criticism better and not get bothered by it.

Last edited 12/7/10 1:24PM server time by Bloodhound
2 total post edits

Post #7   12/7/10 1:23:28PM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:1,985-1,102
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
dear leonard:

Be pissed off and stay pissed off, It is what it is. Everybody (or almost) thinks what Joe said, he just came out with it publically, which personally i'm glad he did. So yeah, shut up and deal with it, or get some more training and switch your game up.

Post #8   12/7/10 2:40:50PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,705-1,497
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I'm a bit confused what pissed him off exactly. Was it because he thought Garcia lost or did he say something offensive about him?

Post #9   12/7/10 4:38:12PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:1,960-1,212
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
calm down there leo...dont get your panties in a bunch

Post #10   12/7/10 6:07:21PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

The way I see it, fans will never be satisfied. MMA fans are some of the worst in any sport. I hate to admit it, but it's true.

One minute, fans are complaining about fighters such as Jon Fitch who fight with a conservative and safe style. They complain about the lack of action and that he just "lays" on his opponent. The same has been said about GSP in some of his recent fights.

Then when you have a guy that goes in and just brawls, fans complain of sloppy fighting and lack of gameplan. Come on people, stop complaining about everything. Let these guys fight how they want. You don't even have to watch them, and if for some reason you feel that you do, thankfully it will most likely only be for 15 minutes or less once every few months.

Personally, I like Garcia. Do I think he won against Nam? Hell no. We all know Nam won that fight, but I enjoyed watching him none the less. He's a cool guy and obviously just wants to show the fans a good time.

Rogan can be biased, everyone knows this, and he has been known to compare fighting styles to how he would fight. I can see why Garcia is upset. Rogan isn't the one fighting, so there is nothing for him to complain about. We all know that Rogan was upset about Nam getting the short end of the stick, but like Garcia said, he isn't a judge and it's not his fault.

Different people have different opinions about different fighting styles because they're different people. You lump "all mma fans" into the "There is only one opinion" category when you say MMA fans are the worst of any sport. It's a sweeping generalization. I don't like those.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that guys like Fitch are smart and I like his fighting style. At the same time, I'm of the opinion that Garcia puts on exciting shows but I think the way he fights isn't so smart. But I'm only one fan.

If I said both guys were dumb and so did everyone else then you'd be right in saying MMA fans are the worst. But I don't. I have my own set of opinions and I'm an MMA fan. Talk to somebody else on this board and I guarantee you they'll feel different about something than I do. They're MMA fans.

Post #11   12/7/10 7:59:42PM   

FrankTheTank1181

Standup Guy

FrankTheTank1181 Avatar

Career:1,487-880
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
By "Joe Rogan's fighting style" did he mean proper striking technique? He can be upset all he wants but what Joe said was true. I don't recall Joe saying he didn't like to watch Garcia fight, he was just COMMENTATING on the fight.

Post #12   12/8/10 1:03:07AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,500-882
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I don't think Joe has a problem with you going out and putting it all on the line Leonard. You can do that in a technical way though. He has a problem with the massive technical flaws in a professional fighter at the highest level. This is constructive criticism. If you'd listen to your coaches when they said they same thing you'd probably be a better fighter than you are (not that he's not good).

I also don't think Joe wants you to fight 'his style'. I'm sure any technically sound style would be fine with him. Notice how Machida and Shogun have vastly different styles yet both are technically sound?

Buck up. He's a commentator. His job is to commentate. Instead of getting defensive maybe give some thought to what he has to say. Is he right 100% of the time? Absolutely not (his criticism of Maia lifting his back foot stands out), but I'm sure Joe can point out dozens of things YOU can do to be a more effective fighter.

Post #13   12/8/10 2:55:45AM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
note to garcia- throw a jab or two?

not that he's the sloppiest striker,he has been effective in many fights, I mean come on, he's no Matt Hamill, the more I watch the hammer try to box, it makes me want to turn the TV off.

Last edited 12/8/10 6:03AM server time by beer

Post #14   12/8/10 6:00:15AM