Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Following TUF 12 Finale loss, Michael Johnson says it's jiu-jitsu every day

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

DO YOU SPEAK IT?

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,234-1,182
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
LAS VEGAS – For Michael Johnson (8-5 MMA, 0-1 UFC), the difference between victory and defeat boiled down to one split-second decision.

Unfortunately, at this past Saturday's The Ultimate Fighter 12 Finale event, Johnson made the wrong choice against Jonathan Brookins in the evening's main event.

"The opening round, I came out and I felt real good," Johnson told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I hit him with some big shots. I looked up, and I noticed I dropped him a little bit late. I was thinking, 'Here is my time to finish.'

"He did a great job of recovering. I just made a mistake and took a backstep a little too much and let him recover from the knockdown."

LINK

Post #1   12/6/10 9:24:30AM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:
I can't see him making any waves in the UFC even if he does improve his jits.

Post #2   12/6/10 1:43:51PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,621-903
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I think he has a huge amount of potential if he builds himself slowly, and not rush into anything. He's athletic and has some power in his hands that he can also mix in with his wrestling. You have to think, he's still young and hasn't had that many fights. Now that he actually trains with a skilled camp he will only get better, which he looked at the finale. It was easy to tell he trained his hands, and it was working for him until his cardio ran out, and Brookins knows how to survive and come back. With more training he can only improve.

I think the UFC should set up a rematch between Johnson and Nam at 145. Both have improved their stand up since the show, and Nam might deserve the fight since he was screwed by the judges. I'd like to see what Johnson could do at 145.

Post #3   12/6/10 2:38:09PM   

Bloodhound

Standup Guy

Bloodhound Avatar

Career:1,054-599
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

I think he has a huge amount of potential if he builds himself slowly, and not rush into anything. He's athletic and has some power in his hands that he can also mix in with his wrestling. You have to think, he's still young and hasn't had that many fights. Now that he actually trains with a skilled camp he will only get better, which he looked at the finale. It was easy to tell he trained his hands, and it was working for him until his cardio ran out, and Brookins knows how to survive and come back. With more training he can only improve.

I think the UFC should set up a rematch between Johnson and Nam at 145. Both have improved their stand up since the show, and Nam might deserve the fight since he was screwed by the judges. I'd like to see what Johnson could do at 145.

I think Johnson is a little to big to make 145

Post #4   12/6/10 4:23:17PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,621-903
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
He mentioned during one of his interviews that before TUF most of his training was centered around weight-lifting, which he continued after leaving football. If he stopped the lifting and concentrated on cutting weight I think he could possibly make it.

Post #5   12/6/10 5:25:03PM   

vomitshovel

MMA Regular

vomitshovel Avatar

Career:136-93
Camp: Xtreme Fight Militia
Chips:
I think 155 is good for him, i'm not a firm believer in every fighter cutting. Some are better at their natural weight (eg, Frank Edgar).
However I think Johnson could make a good name for himself, he has good wrestling and isn't that far from having nice striking.
Some boxing, some bjj, and a good camp will make this guy quite a force.
We've learned that naturally talented guys can make it far once they complete their game, and become good all-round.

Post #6   12/7/10 7:01:52AM