Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Coker: We're "Getting Very Close" With Fedor Negotiations

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Prior to Saturday's "Strikeforce: Henderson vs. Babalu II," a few industry insiders suggested officials might announce a contract extension with famed heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko during the Showtime broadcast. The announcement, of course, never came. But following the show, which took place at St. Louis' Scottrade Center, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker confirmed the organization has made some progress in the negotiations. Emelianenko, a former PRIDE champion who long held the title as the world's No. 1 heavyweight, was upset earlier this year by Fabricio Werdum. The submission defeat remains the only true and legitimate loss of his decade-long career and cost him a likely title shot with current Strikeforce champ Alistair Overeem. Emelianenko's M-1 representatives have discussed the possibility of a Werdum rematch – and/or future Overeem fight – and even considered a fight with Antonio Silva at one point. But Emelianenko first needs a new deal to replace his current contract, which has a single fight remaining on it. But the two sides have gotten no further than the negotiating table in recent months. But the sometimes-plodding talks in no way represent an Emelianenko disinterest in fighting again, according to Coker. "Fedor has never been the issue," he said. "But we don't talk to Fedor. We're talking to M-1, and it's an ongoing process."

Article

Post #1   12/5/10 12:42:57PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
And for those wondering, said "big announcement" promised during last night's event was...Tyron Woodley vs. Tarec Saffiedine as 1/7 Challengers main event.

Post #2   12/5/10 12:46:34PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:540-380
Chips:
by the time fedor signs with a serious organization were hes gonna fight legit people again like in pride hes gonna be out of his prime. i like fedor but i just dont think hes really that important to the HW division right now. there has been so much political BS with him plus i though he performed poorly in his last couple fights (rogers, werdum).

Post #3   12/5/10 6:19:15PM   

GraMMA

MMA Regular

GraMMA Avatar

Career:890-539
Chips:
I hope they get him signed soon and we get a couple Fedor vs big names this new year.Fedor vs Werdum,Overeem or Barnett would all be great.

Last edited 12/6/10 7:09AM server time by GraMMA
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   12/6/10 7:09:10AM   

NiobeRob

Learning to Sprawl

Career:522-352
Camp: Team Ikari
Chips:
It is so annoying that Fedor can't just go out there & fight. I mean, how much longer before he's done? Money ALWAYS wastes time...

Post #5   12/6/10 11:12:15AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
I am quickly losing interest in this whole fiasco.

Post #6   12/6/10 11:33:22AM