Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Shrimping Techniques

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
I've heard and seen different varieties of said technique. Some instructors prefer a feet-together-toe-in technique while other prefer a plant-foot outside technique.

I'm all too curious as to which, if any, is the proper technique.

Last edited 12/5/10 8:45AM server time by BlueSkiesBurn
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #1   12/5/10 8:44:10AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I mainly plant my foot ang get my hip as far off the mat as i can (less friction) then shrimp. i think it has more to do with what works 4 u

Post #2   12/5/10 9:56:02AM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:
My gym (Rickson Gracie affiliate) teaches the use of a plant foot on the outside of the mounted person's leg if that makes sense.

Post #3   12/5/10 10:15:55AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by RyanC

My gym (Rickson Gracie affiliate) teaches the use of a plant foot on the outside of the mounted person's leg if that makes sense.

Totally does, which is why I'm so confused right now. It's plant-foot vs. in-step.

Post #4   12/5/10 10:16:57AM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by RyanC

Totally does, which is why I'm so confused right now. It's plant-foot vs. in-step.

Wait a second now that I think about it the plant foot on the outside is for oompa. I'm not sure if it goes to the outside to shrimp. Either way we use a plant foot. Now I'm gonna have to ask about this next time I'm at the gym.

Post #5   12/5/10 10:32:24AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by RyanC

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by RyanC

Wait a second now that I think about it the plant foot on the outside is for oompa. I'm not sure if it goes to the outside to shrimp. Either way we use a plant foot. Now I'm gonna have to ask about this next time I'm at the gym.

Are you using the in-step or the out-step, that will clear things up.

Post #6   12/5/10 10:37:41AM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by RyanC

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by RyanC

Are you using the in-step or the out-step, that will clear things up.

Well for oompa the instep would be against the outside of the mounted person's calf. For shrimping I'm not sure if it matters if you are inside or outside. Maybe it could be done either way. Like I said I'm going to ask about it next time I'm in the gym. I'm kind of guessing your instep would still go to the outside of the person's calf.

Post #7   12/5/10 10:42:56AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by RyanC

Well for oompa the instep would be against the outside of the mounted person's calf. For shrimping I'm not sure if it matters if you are inside or outside. Maybe it could be done either way. Like I said I'm going to ask about it next time I'm in the gym. I'm kind of guessing your instep would still go to the outside of the person's calf.

No, this makes total sense.

I've learned to shrimp the same way. Place the in-step on the outside of the calf and sprawl backward.

I was just wondering, because the other way I learned was to in-step...ass-up, and come out the other side. If that makes sense.

Post #8   12/5/10 10:46:54AM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by RyanC

No, this makes total sense.

I've learned to shrimp the same way. Place the in-step on the outside of the calf and sprawl backward.

I was just wondering, because the other way I learned was to in-step...ass-up, and come out the other side. If that makes sense.

Yup. I'm really bad with using proper techniques once I'm mounted. I usually just buck and squirm until I've created some space, and then I try to scramble. I should really try to oompa and shrimp more, but I'm always outsized by the guy I'm rolling with which makes both of those techniques difficult. Sucks sometimes being one of the smallest guys at the gym. Rickson says the oompa should work every time no matter the size of your opponent, if you're doing it right, but I haven't been doing BJJ for a lifetime.

Post #9   12/5/10 10:54:05AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
My buck and squirm is a 6'6" 250lbs buck and squirm. Haha, I'm trying to get tapped so I can learn the escape.

Post #10   12/5/10 11:00:43AM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

My buck and squirm is a 6'6" 250lbs buck and squirm. Haha, I'm trying to get tapped so I can learn the escape.

See you have to actually try NOT to use your size and strength so you can focus on technique. I'm the opposite. I'm 5'10 (maybe 11) and about 155 so technique is always a must for me. I'm constantly outweighed by 30-50 pounds, so I don't have any choice but to do a technique right or it usually won't work. Being squirmy is pretty helpful. I just try to make myself hard to hold down, and hard to hold in place. Typically that helps to make some space to work a technique. Other times I leave myself open for submissions, and then I tap as quickly as possible.

Post #11   12/5/10 11:11:59AM   

DJBlankenship

MMA Regular

DJBlankenship Avatar

Career:634-525
Chips:
I was taught to use a plated foot. I've only been doing BJJ for about 2 months and had to change places(my coach went to Cali to train) I just started the new gym yesterday and they confused me by calling it crabbing. I guess different places have different names and ways of doing things. But on the bright side of things, I did tap blue belt twice(the only two times we rolled)

Post #12   12/5/10 1:17:03PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I miss understood the question I was thinking Shrimping in from side mount to get guard.

Post #13   12/5/10 8:05:43PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by postman

I miss understood the question I was thinking Shrimping in from side mount to get guard.

Bob, you didn't miss it. Just technique in general.

Post #14   12/5/10 8:29:47PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
I found that the upa worked best if I timed it before the mounter can get a good base.

Without actually working on the mat, in my mind, I would think it is counter intuitive to plant your foot to shrimp out. In my mind, if I am shrimping I want to move back away from my opponent to create space (I also use my hands to push their knee back to help make space).

I would think that planting a foot or hooking a foot when shrimping actually hinders making space. For example, to plant a foot your knee is at least partially in the air and thus hinders backward motion by clashing with the backside of the mounted guy. Hooking a foot just creates friction and may even pull the mounted guy toward you when you shrimp.

Then again, I could be misunderstanding the question.

Post #15   12/14/10 5:50:10PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2