Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Sex Before A Fight: A Do or Don't?

Print  
Posted By Message

disorderlyvision

Respect the Battle Axe

disorderlyvision Avatar

Career:1,622-1,122
Chips:
link

Attention, fighters!

Go ahead and crank up that Marvin Gaye and bust out those leopard-print boxers. If you’ve been holding out before fight night, you may be doing more harm than good—according to recent studies.

The old adage that discourages sex before a fight has been perpetuated by wrestling coaches, Olympic trainers and even Muhammad Ali himself, who swore off lovemaking at least six weeks before a fight. Claims that doing the deed would drain energy or “weaken the knees” have often kept athletes away from their partners before big events.

Such beliefs have been attributed to the thought that ejaculation releases testosterone from the body, an idea that scientists say couldn’t be further from the truth.

Last edited 4/23/07 9:40AM server time by MMA
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   4/23/07 1:41:28AM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:
great read lol, thanks.

Post #2   4/23/07 5:39:12AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
So there you have it, fighters! Hands up, chin down…and keep on doin’ it!

I have to ask, hands up what? and chin down where?

Post #3   4/23/07 10:13:07AM   

MisFiT

In Full Mount

Career:33-24
Chips:
They still didnt touch the fact that it does make you more focused and aggressive. Bottom line is, if you induldge TOO much... Thats happenin fight night.

Post #4   4/23/07 12:36:26PM   

Narouque

Learning to Sprawl

Narouque Avatar

Career:215-128
Chips:
Great article. I agree with others mayb six weeks would be harmful, so I will try two weeks before my next comp.

Post #5   4/23/07 12:52:17PM   

YeahBee

Learning to Sprawl

YeahBee Avatar

Career:623-368
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
Anybody else find it funny that the scientists name is Emmanuelle?

Post #6   4/23/07 1:22:12PM   

keith-hackney1

Belt Contender

keith-hackney1 Avatar

Career:274-221
Chips:

Posted by disorderlyvision

link

Attention, fighters!

Go ahead and crank up that Marvin Gaye and bust out those leopard-print boxers. If you’ve been holding out before fight night, you may be doing more harm than good—according to recent studies.

The old adage that discourages sex before a fight has been perpetuated by wrestling coaches, Olympic trainers and even Muhammad Ali himself, who swore off lovemaking at least six weeks before a fight. Claims that doing the deed would drain energy or “weaken the knees” have often kept athletes away from their partners before big events.

Such beliefs have been attributed to the thought that ejaculation releases testosterone from the body, an idea that scientists say couldn’t be further from the truth.

Rickson gracie thought part of his success was down to no sex for 6 weeks before a fight. maybe his wife is now thinking its because she's shit in bed !!!

Post #7   4/23/07 1:30:35PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
PubMed article

The above journal shows that testosterone levels increased over a 3 week abstinence period and only increased a little more following orgasm.

There are several studies cited within the above article that suggest elevated testosterone levels during the abstinence period could be the result of anticipation of sexual activity.

What the hell am I saying? Well, first of all, the original article cited in this thread is another example of someone oversimplifying and subjectifying scientific results for the layman. As a scientist this is a huge pet peeve of mine.

The report that I cite above shows a study (while potentially subjective in itself) that offers an objective discussion of the issue.

i.e. testosterone levels may not have anything to do with having sex/orgasm, but rather the mind set of the particular subject. i.e. a fighters testosterone levels might have more to do with their mind set before a fight and less to do with their sexual activities.

In addition, I have heard evidence of strenuous exercise lowers testosterone levels in males. Thus, it would make over training counterproductive prior to a fight with regards to testosterone levels.

I also think this might be a good thread to move to the MMA training thread as it pertains to training.

Post #8   4/23/07 3:41:19PM   

Cobbs666

Standup Guy

Cobbs666 Avatar

Career:1,063-740
Camp: *TeaM SaTaN*
Chips:
i ALWAYS snap a few off the one handed bandit the night before a fight, its actually part of my strength and conditioning exercises

Post #9   4/23/07 10:28:34PM   

Raposa

Learning to Sprawl

Raposa Avatar

Career:67-33
Chips:
Yippy.

Post #10   4/23/07 11:02:23PM