Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Sonnen's Suspension Reduced To 6 Months

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
The California State Athletic Commission today approve a reduction of UFC middleweight Chael Sonnen's UFC 117 drug suspension from a year to six months. His $2,500 fine remains unchanged. Sonnen landed a date with the influential commission after a failed bid to take UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva's title during an Aug. 7 event in Oakland. Sonnen dominated the champ for four rounds but succumbed to a triangle-choke submission midway through the fifth and deciding round. Although promised an immediate rematch, Sonnen instead was put on the sidelines when CSAC executive director George Dodd confirmed the challenger had tested positive for elevated testosterone levels. (His testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio tested at 16.9, which well exceeded the CSAC's 4.0 cutoff, according to recently released documents.) Sonnen has kept quiet since news of the failed test, but he and a team lead by lawyers Howard Jacobs and Steven Thompson today broke their silence. Sonnen said he's undergone testosterone-replacement therapy since 2008 as treatment for hypergonadism, a condition in which there is hyperfunction of the gonads. Jacobs argued that Sonnen passed a CSAC test in October 2009 (when he defeated Yushin Okami at UFC 104) and rebutted the commission's claim that officials hadn't been notified prior to UFC 117 of the therapy. Sonnen, though, said he received verbal confirmation. Dodd confirmed Sonnen had notified him of the therapy but said he hadn't taken the proper steps at UFC 117. With some apparent miscommunication, CSAC officials voted 3-1 (after an initial 2-2 deadlock) to reduce his suspension. He's now eligible to return to competition on March 2 of the coming year.

Article

Post #1   12/2/10 11:04:52PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,360-1,218
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Sounds about right to me, both sides get to claim a minor win and the precedent is set with what fighters on HRT need to do every single fight to avoid this. If we had AC's that knew what they were doing and could relay rules to the fighters, I don't think this would've been an issue.

I side with Sonnen on this one, based on the circumstances and think the suspension could've been avoided with a competent AC that had a better grasp relaying their own rules.

Last edited 12/3/10 1:06AM server time by kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   12/2/10 11:47:59PM   

submissionartist1

KING of the COMPOUND

submissionartist1 Avatar

Career:490-392
Camp: HighKicksRUs
Chips:
What does Anderson Get?

Post #3   12/3/10 12:51:19AM   

king_katool

MMA Sensei

king_katool Avatar

Career:325-231
Chips:
The whole thing was a mess, I was shocked at how stupid EVERYONE looked

Regardless of what the CSAC ruled, sonnen cheated in my book, his tested at 16.9 while the limit is 4.0, go ahead with your medical treatment but still test within the limit

Post #4   12/3/10 1:54:37AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,481-868
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I already shared my thoughts on this matter in the first news post on this topic. But to reiterate: it does not seem like Sonnen was intentionally juicing. He was undergoing hormone replacement therapy and made a technical mistake by not following the proper notification procedures. I think the NSAC is being harsh. They could have reduced the suspension to time served considering this was a technicality and not intentional steroid use for performance enhancing purposes.

As emfleek pointed out in the other thread the level of the banned substance in his blood was roughly 4 times the allowed limit. I believe this is to be expected with this kind of therapy so I'm confused by the rules limiting levels to 4.0.

Post #5   12/3/10 1:57:47AM   

king_katool

MMA Sensei

king_katool Avatar

Career:325-231
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

I already shared my thoughts on this matter in the first news post on this topic. But to reiterate: it does not seem like Sonnen was intentionally juicing. He was undergoing hormone replacement therapy and made a technical mistake by not following the proper notification procedures. I think the NSAC is being harsh. They could have reduced the suspension to time served considering this was a technicality and not intentional steroid use for performance enhancing purposes.

As emfleek pointed out in the other thread the level of the banned substance in his blood was roughly 4 times the allowed limit. I believe this is to be expected with this kind of therapy so I'm confused by the rules limiting levels to 4.0.

I swear I read in one of the many news postings about this that both Dan Henderson and Randy Couture do this treatment but still test within the limit

Last edited 12/3/10 2:34AM server time by king_katool

Post #6   12/3/10 2:33:54AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,360-1,218
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

his tested at 16.9 while the limit is 4.0, go ahead with your medical treatment but still test within the limit

The test doesn't determine the Testosterone in our system, it is a Testosterone/Epitestosterone ratio. So you can be 4 times the ratio yet not have higher than normal Testosterone levels, because when introducing the Testosterone for years via HRT your body will no longer have normal Epitestosterone levels. Thus making your `ratio` high when your actual Testosterone level could be completely normal. Also over recent years it has gone from an 8 to 1 ratio, to 6 to 1, to now 4 to 1. There's no exact science to it, the AC's are clueless in more ways than I can count, and this ratio he was just suspended for, by reports, wasn't any higher than he tested at legally before his fight just prior to the title fight.

Point being, he is already allowed to have a `ratio` that high, he just needs to get in the paperwork prior to each and every fight. Case closed.

Post #7   12/3/10 2:41:22AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by submissionartist1

What does Anderson Get?

To keep his title? What should Anderson get?

Post #8   12/3/10 3:13:23AM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
another ass whoopin

Post #9   12/3/10 6:12:17AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:

What does Anderson Get?

Vitor Belfort.

Post #10   12/3/10 8:36:42AM   

kaduey

In Full Mount

kaduey Avatar

Career:1,537-829
Chips:

Posted by DCRage

What does Anderson Get?

Vitor Belfort.

A more exciting title fight.

Post #11   12/3/10 11:46:47AM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
I am not sure exactly how I feel about this. I really dislike Chael so I want to jump all over him, but i cant because I am ignorant to the way the tests even score !!??? I am just glad Anderson hit that triangle when he did. Can you imagine had Sonnen won, what we would be saying right now!!!???

Last edited 12/3/10 8:56PM server time by bustedknuckle

Post #12   12/3/10 8:55:20PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,471-1,565
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Well if it's that messy to determine the levels of testosterone and what is the correct/legal ratio and all that crap, then why don't they just test for the steroids? oh, and if you give a verbal agreement then try to back out under scrutiny then your a scumbag IMO...just had someone do it to me recently and I got hard screwed. I just want the true question answered....Did he cheat?

Post #13   12/4/10 12:52:35AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

Well if it's that messy to determine the levels of testosterone and what is the correct/legal ratio and all that crap, then why don't they just test for the steroids? oh, and if you give a verbal agreement then try to back out under scrutiny then your a scumbag IMO...just had someone do it to me recently and I got hard screwed. I just want the true question answered....Did he cheat?

if you consider HRT cheating then yes. otherwise no, at least as far as the evidence shows.

Post #14   12/4/10 3:22:18AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,471-1,565
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by jae_1833

if you consider HRT cheating then yes. otherwise no, at least as far as the evidence shows.

So if some paperwork had been done it would have been considered legal, is that correct? Is that because HRT is something that is not a performance enhancer or because he has to be on it for medical reasons....but not blatant (say Josh Barnett) roid using for winning purposes....right? If that is the case then let the guy come back and somebody please hire him a clerk!!

Post #15   12/5/10 10:19:55PM