Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Exclusive: Roy Nelson Talks TUF, WWE and Brock Lesnar

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,386-1,258
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
In the world of MMA media a fighter's place in the headlines can be somewhat of a catch-22. When the attention is warranted a fighter revels in the good news spreading of a job well done but when the information is vague and ambiguous it leaves an unsettled situation up for speculation. Those moments of unchecked speculation can lead into waves of forum boards, chat rooms and even headlines that eventually set the mark of validation on the situation. Outspoken UFC heavyweight and TUF season 10 winner Roy Nelson is square in the middle of this type of back and forth and rather than leave the issue alone to run it's course, Nelson chooses to speak up and set the record straight.

Nelson was originally scheduled to face former Interim champion Shane Carwin as the co-main event at UFC 125 on January 1st. After Carwin was forced to withdraw from the matchup due to an injury, Nelson sat idle as the UFC looked for his next opponent. Then the news broke that former champion Brock Lesnar was looking for a bout with Nelson and when he received word "Big Country" welcomed the opportunity. Prior to the reports that Lesnar wanted to fight Nelson there was speculation that Nelson would face Mirko Cro Cop or possibly Frank Mir but the UFC never issued any information to back these claims. Nelson jumped on the chance to fight Brock Lesnar and from his Twitter account pushed to make the fight happen. Unfortunately for Roy Nelson just as quickly as the Lesnar bout hit the headlines it disappeared as the UFC announced that Nelson had been pulled from the card entirely. Fans and the media alike were left in limbo as to the reasons but when UFC President Dana White came out with the story explaining Nelson was involved in a contract dispute with Roy Jones Jr.'s Square Ring Promotions all motivations became clear. White also confirmed that it would be some time before Roy Nelson fought in the UFC again and that is where the story left off in the eyes of the public. Other fighters would keep a low profile and allow the controversy to blow over but Roy Nelson has never been considered a "company" man. Rather than sit on the sidelines quietly Nelson has continued to push ahead citing the contract dispute as old news as he pecks away at Dana White for bigger opportunities.

LINK

Post #1   12/1/10 4:16:23PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,843-1,756
Camp: country KO
Chips:
Me thinks Dana don't like him no big country.

Post #2   12/1/10 5:26:22PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:540-380
Chips:
id love to see him and lesnar throw down. i like big country, hes got alot of experience.

Post #3   12/1/10 11:53:25PM   

vomitshovel

MMA Regular

vomitshovel Avatar

Career:136-93
Camp: Xtreme Fight Militia
Chips:
Will someone please tell Roy Nelson he can give up fighting?
I don't mean to fighter bash, i have ALL the respect for a fat ass dude that can still put up his own in a ring. And he does fight well, ill never deny that.
But the attitude and reasoning in that dude's head is wack and he needs to be cut down a few notches.
Glad to see they giving fights to guys who want it enough to NOT be super fat.

Post #4   12/2/10 1:42:01AM   

KingCmb

Standup Guy

KingCmb Avatar

Career:935-862
Chips:

Posted by vomitshovel

I don't mean to fighter bash, i have ALL the respect for a fat ass dude that can still put up his own in a ring. And he does fight well, ill never deny that.
But the attitude and reasoning in that dude's head is wack and he needs to be cut down a few notches.

some guys are just built like that dont bash i bet anything you couldnt handle roys training

Post #5   12/2/10 7:19:02AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
Big Country vs. Big Show at the next Wrestlemania.

Post #6   12/2/10 8:27:45AM   

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,386-1,258
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by vomitshovel

You don't "mean" to fighter bash, but you are. 2 warnings in one day.

Post #7   12/2/10 9:34:07AM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,843-1,756
Camp: country KO
Chips:

Posted by vomitshovel

Why should someone quit when they do what they do well? I don't see your reasoning. Who cares what he looks like if he gets the job done? he has good cardio for any fighter let alone one of his build. I mean we're not talking about body building. Plus he comes out to weird AL! how can you not love that?

Post #8   12/2/10 5:29:08PM