Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Don't Be Fat Homie: Jason Miller Baffled By Diaz Weight Restrictions For Possible Grudge Match

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
And he made his feelings on the matter known recently on Joe Rogan's podcast. "[Diaz has] fought so many times at 183, he always fights there. But then when it's me, somebody he's talked sh*t about for years, his manager says fight at 178. Ok cool, I'll fight Alistair Overeem, he just has to make 190. That's it. I'll fight that [expletive] this weekend at 190. (Strikeforce) wants to do it in January. There's no way. I was a goddamn skeleton (at 170 in the UFC), it was the dumbest thing I ever did."

Article

Post #1   12/1/10 1:19:04PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
I would love to see this fight but I don't think it does anything for Nick's career to go up and fight Miller.

Post #2   12/1/10 1:47:13PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by MaxOne

I would love to see this fight but I don't think it does anything for Nick's career to go up and fight Miller.

I think a win over Miller at 185 does more for his career than a fight with a small KJ Noons, Frank Shamrock or Marius Zaromskis did.

I still think Jason Miller is a good mixed martial artist with a lot to offer.

Post #3   12/1/10 1:48:41PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:

Posted by gartface

Posted by MaxOne

I think a win over Miller at 185 does more for his career than a fight with a small KJ Noons, Frank Shamrock or Marius Zaromskis did.

I still think Jason Miller is a good mixed martial artist with a lot to offer.

I guess I need to clarify. The reason I want to see this fight...it would be a great fight. Miller is a great fighter. So, for the type of fans that know how good miller is it would be a big win for Nick (if he was able to win .)

...but I don't think it does anything for him as the champ at 170 in strikeforce. Miller isn't the champ at 185 so it isn't champ vs. champ. If miller really wants this fight he should fight at 170. A fight at 178 doesn't do anything for strikeforce. We'd all be watching anyway. A win over Diaz does more for Miller than a win over Miller would do for Diaz.

I'm not knocking Miller. I'm actually a fan of both fighters but based on their "status" in the sport Diaz would have more to lose so Miller should drop if he wants the fight or get the Belt at 185 and then they can do a fight at 178 down the line...champ vs. champ.

Post #4   12/1/10 2:27:03PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
I get what you're saying. I don't think there are many fights for Diaz period in Strikeforce that make sense, or do anything for his career advancement for that matter. There's really one 170 pound fighter who could challenge him there, and that's Daley. I do however, want to see a match between Diaz and Askren. I think Askren would wrestle-rape him into a post-fight rage like no other. I don't think that Coker is down with co-promoting with Bellator though, which is sad, because there are a lot of good fights out there if they did some co-promotion.

Post #5   12/1/10 3:20:13PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,509-889
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I don't think Askren is ready for somebody like Nick Diaz yet.

Post #6   12/1/10 4:23:08PM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
Diaz doesn't want the fight. He showed that much with his statement. Either that, or he thinks he needs an edge or depleted Mayhem.

Nick, this goes way against your "image."

Post #7   12/1/10 4:24:36PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,937-1,077
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
It is dumb to challenege someone and talk sh*t then expect them to be one to cut the most weight for the fight.

Post #8   12/1/10 5:33:00PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,631-1,351
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Keep in mind Diaz isn't just a fighter, he competes in Triathlons and has gone on record multiple times saying he'd do Triathlons, if the pay was better, over MMA.

The only reason I bring this up is because in the last 6 months alone he has competed in 4 Triathlons. The Ironman 70.3 Vineman 2010, Xterra Tahoe City, Tri for Real Olympic Distance 2010, and the Xterra Del Valle Triathlon 2010.

Gotta understand how different it is to train the muscles for each sport. MMA muscles can't run/bike/swim for 5 hours and Triathlon muscles can't grapple very well at full exertion for 15 minutes. If the fight is in January, he knows at what weight he can go up to to remain competitive in strength/muscle when factoring in his other training.

Last edited 12/1/10 6:16PM server time by kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   12/1/10 6:10:28PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Keep in mind Diaz isn't just a fighter, he competes in Triathlons and has gone on record multiple times saying he'd do Triathlons, if the pay was better, over MMA.

The only reason I bring this up is because in the last 6 months alone he has competed in 4 Triathlons. The Ironman 70.3 Vineman 2010, Xterra Tahoe City, Tri for Real Olympic Distance 2010, and the Xterra Del Valle Triathlon 2010.

Gotta understand how different it is to train the muscles for each sport. MMA muscles can't run/bike/swim for 5 hours and Triathlon muscles can't grapple very well at full exertion for 15 minutes. If the fight is in January, he knows at what weight he can go up to to remain competitive in strength/muscle when factoring in his other training.

I love it when you get technical!

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #10   12/1/10 6:23:18PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Chips:

Posted by SmileR

OK, I'll teach you the No-Gi-Triangle Choke one last time......... But that's it!

Post #11   12/1/10 6:31:31PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Posted by SmileR

OK, I'll teach you the No-Gi-Triangle Choke one last time......... But that's it!

No-Gi, no pants though, right!!

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #12   12/1/10 6:45:53PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,952-1,623
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Well, he could just concede the remaining 5 pounds. He came in light for his other catch-weight fights as well, so it wouldn't be unheard of. Just saying it's possible if he wants to fight him bad enough.

Post #13   12/1/10 7:10:14PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Well, he could just concede the remaining 5 pounds. He came in light for his other catch-weight fights as well, so it wouldn't be unheard of. Just saying it's possible if he wants to fight him bad enough.

It seems like Miller is the one bringing all of this to the forefront, jumping into the ring during an interview, doing interviews with multiple media outlets to try to get the fight, etc.

What I do know is that Diaz said Mayhem is 'afraid to take a beating' back in 07 when Diaz was an EliteXC 155er and Mayhem was a 170er in ICON/WEC and Mayhem is seemingly just recently pressing the issue after they've both moved up in their respective weight classes.

I really don't know the more recent history of their war of words other than everything I've seen is coming from Mayhem saying Diaz wants to fight that badly. If that's the way it is, then there's no reason to expect Diaz to be the one to compromise. But maybe I haven't been following the war of words enough to see when Diaz said recently that he wants a Mayhem fight more than anything else.

Last edited 12/1/10 7:37PM server time by kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #14   12/1/10 7:20:35PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,763-1,756
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The cut for Miller would be huge (not that he couldn't make it) and Diaz would barely have to cut at all....this could make a real impact in how they fight....adding an extra 8 pound cut to Miller while taking that cut away from Diaz puts him at a disadvantage for sure.....if Diaz wants to be great then he should go up to 180....I bet that would make Miller bite.

Post #15   12/1/10 8:29:20PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2